Review of The Strains of Malice

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of The Strains of Malice

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Strains of Malice" by Andrew Beardmore.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This epic fantasy novel titled The Strains of Malice by Andrew Beardmore begins with Emily Luca and her escape from the cruel Prince Magnus of Ghantiss. The narrative perspective revolves around different storylines, sizzling activities across Thera's significant regions, and the impending threat that spells an end to the Theraeon world.

The first of five series, this book opens in Glennad and to the terrifying encounter of young Emilya Luca with the dreaded Prince of Ghantiss, Magnus. Aware of the Prince's lack of limits, Jack Oscom intervenes and flees with the girl to safety across the lands of Thissibriles. As the story continues, the author interweaves storylines ranging from a cross-section of activities within the world of Thera. From Bramcia, there was Davy, the coal miner, and the mega event that changed his lives and his buddies. In the lands of Lendria, we follow Arran Reed and his sighting of a dangerous body on a path to destroy their world. At the hilt of Thera itself, there is the rise of Calidius, the 316th emperor of Thera, and his callous activities in firmly reigning his world against impending doom. What future lies in wait for Thera? Pick up a copy and follow this exhilarating story.

Andrew Beardmore is a fantastic storyteller with a penchant for meticulous details. He crafts a world so humanistically flawed and tremendously intriguing that it could pass for a kingdom that once stood. I am in deep awe of the depth of creativity and high-ended cultivated discipline to see this complex story through. The characterization was terrific! The interaction of personalities and the development of characters shaped the story crudely and gave life to the plot.

From the start of this book, I was instantly captivated. The precautionary part of me couldn't help but wonder why Emilya would challenge a prince so dreadful or why Alicya would dare her brother to his face, knowing his capability and the flashing red signs. But then, without their strong-willed personality, evil would have continued undercover, and the story wouldn't move forward either. I did learn and pick courage from their brazen defiance against evil, despite what the consequences may have been. Courage is the main takeaway for me.

The interwoven stories were a lot to keep track of, but I enjoyed reading from the character's perspectives. I am also curious how these characters and their stories would finally interlock, as they seem far from each other. Among the characters, I found Davy Sheerin to be my favorite. He was a pure soul with a stellar reputation that preceded him and drew people to his side. His protection over young Will Lowe and his brother, Dylan, even in the face of danger, spoke volumes about his selfless personality. I am fascinated by the character of Elyse too. Something magical about her and her homeland gave her character shine and stability. Although I wouldn't say I liked her manipulative coercing in getting Emilya to stay off meat, I loved her character and motherly instincts to bits.

I am bouncing in anticipation of the second book, as this story ended on a cliffhanger. I can't wait to read about the fate of the cold Calidius, Prince Magnus, Dax, and Arran's love interest. This book was birthed with creativity and finessed with research. It is also exceptionally edited. However, I don't particularly appreciate that there is so much to keep up with while the story unravels. As much as that is thrilling, it is also a time bomb of confusion as the storylines seem to expand in different directions. For this reason, I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. Besides that, there is nothing to dislike about the book.

I would give an arm and a leg to have this book directed into a movie series. It would be ideally suited for adventure and fantasy fans. While we keep our fingers crossed for that, why not grab a copy and get lost in the blood-curdling adventures of the Theraeon world?

The Strains of Malice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I am bouncing in anticipation of the second book, as this story ended on a cliffhanger.
That is a great recommendation. As I was reading your review, I wondered if you would say you want to read the next book in the series. Nice review!
G D H
Favorite Book: Americanah
Currently Reading: The Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Fallacy
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-g-d-h.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Post by G D H »

The last time I met a Magnus in fantasy, any fantasy—Book or TV, was in Shadow Hunters: The Mortal Instruments. That was the Netflix series, not the preceding film or the original book series by Cassandra Clare. And Magnus Bane was no evil prince, but the magnanimous son of a redoutable prince of hell. As I read through the body of your review, I kept recalling scenes from the rebooted movie “Dunes.” If what I am guessing is right, I’d readily give up an additional limb to behold Thera on screen. Your review is really sizzling hot!
Bethsheda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethsheda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by <!-- e --><a href="mailto:Steven@matterco.co">Steven@matterco.co</a><!-- e -->

Post by Bethsheda »

Good review
nikola blazevic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nikola blazevic »

“I’m afraid there are good and bad everywhere, Emilya. It’s a fact of life that wherever you look, there are strains of malice.”

Emilya and Jake have separated to increase their chances of avoiding capture and execution for a crime they have not committed. While Jake leads Prince Magnus a merry dance across Glennad, Emilya has perhaps landed in greater peril at Kifsel Place Monastery, where amongst the peace-loving monks, there are a handful with sinister motives.'
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some classic tropes of the fantasy genre are used to create a fictional world and various subplots. I understand being a bit overwhelmed when the first book of a series starts a complex storyline formed by different parts that are not immediately connected and hope they unite as soon as possible. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”