Review of Malus

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sophia Damilola Ajayi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophia-d-ajayi.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Review of Malus

Post by Sophia Damilola Ajayi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Malus" by Barry Boyd Bryson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Door has been a mystery and a wonder to many for centuries. This area defies every rule of nature and is situated on the island of Srebreno in Yugoslavia's little hamlet of Smert. It is said that more than 15 people entered it but never came out. Professors at the Massachusetts Historical Society Curtis Green and Sidney Clarke embarked on a trip to this enigmatic phenomenon in order to conduct study and maybe make new discoveries. Unfortunately, they go missing for eight months, and their colleagues come together and get ready to look for these two cherished academics.

Their quest, however, takes a different turn. They are faced with more danger than they anticipated, and now they must split up for their own survival. What is the mystery behind the door? And would they be successful in rescuing Curtis and Sidney? You should get a copy of The Omnia Collection Book 1: Malus by Barry Boyd Bryson to follow Drake and the rest of the team on this wild quest.

First of all, I must applaud the author for his seamless and engaging writing style. Even though the book was a bit too lengthy in my opinion, I still enjoyed the time spent reading it. The descriptions of Malusia, the land of no return, really kept me on the edge of my seat. There was violence, gore, and sinister events in this book, but everything was described in great detail. This historical fiction, fantasy, mystery, and adventure book was well written.

At the beginning of the book, the two major characters were interesting. There was a disparity between their behaviors. Curtis was a bit reserved and logical, while Sidney was rash, aloof, and overly ambitious. This created tension in me because I was waiting to see their next decision.

The story, however, took a 360-degree turn. Not only was there so much suspense, but as the story progressed, a lot of other characters were introduced, and these characters, alas, were the key characters in the book. The two teams went into different dimensions of the universe, and they were made to choose between good and evil. At first, they thought their mission was just to rescue Curtis and Sidney, but later discovered that they were meant to be a part of a much bigger conspiracy. This was a big twist for me, and I was totally hooked on the story.

If I had to choose a favorite character, that would be Pearl. She was a very intelligent and thoughtful young lady. I admire her resilience and inquisitiveness. In her group, she was the only one who could face Cronan and have a proper conversation with him. She knew how to converse in so many languages, and it was amazing that she spoke and understood Sumerian, an ancient language that even Cronan speaks.

As much as I enjoyed reading this book, there was something that I disliked a bit. There were way too many characters in this book. At first, I only thought it would be about Curtis and Sidney and their rescue team, but as the story progressed, more and more characters and their unique stories were introduced, which made it difficult to follow. Oftentimes, I found myself trying hard to remember the names of the characters, which was a bit distracting.

Nevertheless, The Omnia Collection Book 1: Malus was a great book, and I would give it a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I took away one star because of the dislike I mentioned and the lengthy pages. I found a few punctuation errors that did not interfere with my reading, so it is safe to say the book was professionally edited.

This book will be enjoyed by all who love fantasy and adventure books. It comes with a lot of suspense and mystery, too. Be warned, for there is also a lot of violence.

Malus
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mallambarby
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mallambarby »

Wye do they go missing for eight mounth when discovering.
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Because of the negative aspect of this book, I won't really want to read it. I enjoy reading through the review. Thanks for the feedback.
Asia Saisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Asia Saisa »

With the burden of his secret past on his back, Drake embarks on a terrifying expedition to his present, but his secret could cost the world its future...

** I received a free copy of this book from the author and Reedsy Discovery. Receiving a free copy does not affect my rating in any way. This is an honest, spoiler-free review, and all opinions expressed are entirely my own. **

Despite living a relatively comfortable life himself, Drake Lucas has a lot more to offer than meets the eye. Just when he thought his nightmares were all he had to deal with in the past, he found himself on a quest to venture into the heart of evil in order to save his comrades from the dangers of getting too close to his home.

Drake is assigned to a group of friends who have no idea of ​​his true background or true identity. Drake just wants them to come back alive from the rescue mission.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I don’t think I’d mind the length of the book. The number of characters might bother me, but not for long. The existence of such a door really intrigues me.
Omneya Shakeep
Favorite Book: Catching Genesis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omneya-shakeep.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Omneya Shakeep »

This sounds like an interesting book. I don't have a problem with long novels. The characters may be a bit challenging to remember at the beginning of the story, but I think I'll adjust. Maybe I should give it a try. You gave a well-detailed review. Great job!
"Those who feel grateful, and are eternally generous, experience life at its richest."
Rob White.
Ekaete Bruno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

This is a novel thatcisblong and satisfying. While reading it you'd feel the story like it's flowing through your vains and you'd enjoy every bit of it.
Joyce Nwaogazie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joyce-nwaogazie.html
Latest Review: We Stand Here as A millionaire by Joan Gross

Post by Joyce Nwaogazie »

Malus by Barry Boyd Bryson as evidenced by your review would sure be an exciting piece. I love any book that focuses on adventure, and I'm happy to pick up a copy. Well done.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

What could be the cause of the disappearance of everyone who goes to the Door? The book sure has an interesting plot with a lot of suspense. Wonderful review. Well done!!!
Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin
Favorite Book: The Inner CEO
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boluwatife-ade-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 4%

Post by Boluwatife Ade Aderogbin »

The part that caught my attention is where their colleagues have to look for them and found out they have been part of a bigger conspiracy. Often times, people get involve in evil thing
which is not known to them and they get blamed forgetting they entered with a pure mindset, to recue. Wonderful review.
Proof Readar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-proof-readar.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Proof Readar »

This book's plot sounds entertaining. And I love the idea of adventuring into Door, a zone that gets people missing and set a terrifying pace. Thanks for your recommendation.
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

This is a historical book that sounds Interesting. I will like to know what kind of door people enter and never come out. Good job.
Jay David Randall
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-david-randall.html
Latest Review: Scrooge's Folly - Saving Jacob Marley by David Jay Weinberg

Post by Jay David Randall »

The cover photo of this novel got me first, I know this novel has an adventure filled with magic, and I feel it would be nice if I grab a copy of this novel. Great review.
"Keep your face always toward the sunshine, and shadows will fall behind you."Walt Whitman :tiphat:
Park Cherri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-park-cherri.html
Latest Review: The Eavesdropper by Peter Wise

Post by Park Cherri »

The book cover looks kind of frightening. The storyline sounds interesting. I’ll love to read it. Your review is well written. Well done!
Agbata Trust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-trust.html
Latest Review: The Blandford Fly by D.N. Moore

Post by Agbata Trust »

Quite a mystery. What the story behind this door. I could already feel the stillness and supsense in this book. Definitely, I won't miss out. Thanks for the detailed review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”