Review of Chaos Rising

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Oyedeji Okikioluwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 964
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orizon.html
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi

Review of Chaos Rising

Post by Oyedeji Okikioluwa »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chaos Rising" by P.D. Blackwell.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

When a mining colony of Polinda is attacked, old scabbed wounds are picked open and begin bleeding again between the Old Worlds. Fighting to keep the Alliance, Arlud Erstallius works hard to redeem his clan and bring the rest of the clans together against a common but strange enemy who nearly goes unnoticed. In Chaos Rising: The Erstallius Chronicles, Volume I by P. D. Blackwell, we follow a story steeped in the themes of revenge, faith, and loyalty.

The year 3525 puts the Alliance World's bonds to the test when an explosion destroys a Polinda colony mine, killing many and leaving few survivors. Farquar Polinda wasn't a man of forgiveness, and the Old World knew better than to leave their orbits unguarded for his sudden but expected intrusion. However, the young Regent of Erstallius, Arlud Reynaldo Erstallius, follows the trail of events to investigate the cause of the attack in the mine. Recruiting the help of a low-borne Sapi survivor, Bev Colli, and others, Arlud demystifies the strange occurrence of events as a terrible war begins and drives hard to bring the clans together to stop the invisible instigators. Does he stand a chance? Grab a copy and see for yourself!

P. D. Blackwell is the refreshing voice of the sci-fi genre. He weaves a unique storyline with intense vivid imagery that transports the readers to the scene and gears them to experience the Old Worlds for themselves. The characterization was excellent, and the personalities of each character were shown throughout the book, creating a dynamic that kept the story suspenseful and thrilling. There was also significant character development within the story; from Bev's point of view, she grows from a mistrusting young woman always on guard in a hard mine to finally thawing from being a one-man squad. It was brilliantly captured. It is important to note that this book brims with rich terms and vocabulary and utilizes the power of research to breathe life into its plot; this makes the story exceptional!

Anytime I saw a Bev Colli-dedicated chapter, I internally screeched with excitement. Reading about the tough young woman was intriguing and captured me in a gripping hold. She was a cool cucumber in the face of danger, and I admired that strength greatly. However, my best character in this book is Arlud of Erstallius. Arlud was captivating in speech and manner, which the clan heads were impressed by as most thought him incapable. I love Arlud's reply to every complex question that seemed like the end of the road to a plan. He'd usually respond by saying he would do his best. This gave a big hint of his personality, that it never affected his ego to admit the limitation of his knowledge, but fostered tender hope to see his mission through no matter the odds. My favorite scene of this book was when Bev exaggeratedly told Arlud to prevent the aliens from eating her, and he promised to keep her safe. It was quite a humorous and heart-warming scene.

This book was meticulously written, and I am remarkably astounded by the intense research into creating this spell-binding novel. The editing is also wonderfully professional, as this book contains only a few spelling errors that didn't distort my reading flow. I dislike nothing about this book apart from the sometimes confusing scientific explanations, which wasn't a big deal for me. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

This book may initially start slow and confusing, but the more you read, the harder it gets to drop the book. This book would cater to the taste of sci-fi fans and awe readers in a fit of exhilarating blood-pumping action of interstellar realms with nail-biting suspense.

Chaos Rising
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Latest Review: Proverbs 4:7 by Gaidi
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

I'm not a fan of sci-fi books but I enjoyed going through this nice review.
Charles Ashinze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-ashinze.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Charles Ashinze »

I enjoy novels that are very descriptive with vivid details. Sci-fi futuristic stories are not my go-to. However this book seem to have been written with great character development and an intriguing plot. I am fascinated and interested.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am a big fan of science fiction. That this is mixed with the suspense and thrill of an attack makes it seem just about perfect. I hope they find out what happened at Polinda.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

The book sounds interesting, I’ll check it out, i hope I manage to get past the confusing aspects and enjoy it as much as you did.
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging science fiction story with an intriguing mystery and well-developed characters. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ery Hatman
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ery Hatman »

As a fan of fiction I love the book I've read it before during the pandemic it's a really fun yet thrilling experience
Unique Mary Iloakasia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unique-mary-iloakasia.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by Unique Mary Iloakasia »

I like reading this review. It is good to know that this book contains profanity. I always do find some fun when characters exchange profane words against each other. It always intensifies the moment and makes a story lovely.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

Sci-fi is not my thing, but I have enjoyed reading the review with such rich descriptions. For instance, I want to read about Bev Colli now, who is 'cool as a cucumber in the face of danger.'
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The journey of Bev Colli to Alpha Cephei Four is something readers would want to know. I am awestruck of the amazing cover of this book. The narration is manageable as well. However, I want to refrain reading sci-fi in a few days, so I'm gonna pass. Nonetheless, congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Ams Strong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ams-strong.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta

Post by Ams Strong »

This review is a bit bland to me; I did not feel a very strong urge to read this book. There were too many names, most of which readers may not be familiar with. I did not quite get the overall theme and direction of the book.
Benard Mayaka
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benard-mayaka.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Benard Mayaka »

Wounds that have healed should not be touched.
Meghan Soderholm
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The Smartest Person in the Room
Currently Reading: Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 10605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meghan-soderholm.html
Latest Review: A God-Balanced Life by James Puckett Sr.
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Meghan Soderholm »

Sci-Fi books usually aren't for me, by the bravery and tenacity Bev displayed throughout the book caught my attention immediately. This review is insightful and piqued my curiosity. Congrats on BOTD!
“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift and that is why we call it the present.” - Eleanor Roosevelt
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80354
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 793%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📚📖📚 of the day BOTD is sci-fi fantasy by a ward winning author a collection of (6) short stories of Blackwell family max, duke,celeb and Jake back in 18th century max serve in Us calvary to fight the moon celeb unfortunately meets the grizzly.. I so love thetwis and turns of this book it was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯
Nancy004
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nancy004.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Nancy004 »

Chaos Rising: The Erstallius Chronicles, Volume I by P. D. Blackwell is a meticulously crafted sci-fi novel that promises an immersive reading experience. With intense imagery, well-developed characters, and a thrilling storyline, it seems like a must-read for fans of the genre. I'm excited to dive into this interstellar adventure! Congratulations to the author on BOTD

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”