Review of The Dead Superstar Bar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of The Dead Superstar Bar

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Dead Superstar Bar" by Michael J Nohe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

You might know the original composer of Liverpool Football Club's anthem, "You Will Never Walk Alone," but for me, it was exciting to learn about him in this novel, The Dead Superstar Bar. If you are like me, I believe you will be curious as well. As the title implies, the book explores the "golden oldies" of the 1960s hit songs. It includes bands such as The Beatles, The Lettermen, The Temptation, The Kinks, The Who, and so on.

The novel features paranormal experiences and humorous comments detailing how Harvey Dowd decided to open a bar after his retirement and brought in his childhood friend to help out. Harvey decided to name the bar The Dead Superstar Bar to exert his authority as the original idealist, and in this bar, they will typically explore the hit songs of the 1960s era. He contracted with Imagine and Dan to anchor the live band performance every evening. On the day the bar opened, Imagine started the show when George Harrison, one of the Beatles' band members, strolled onto the stage and performed. It was like a dream to Dowd, his friend, the workers, and even the customers on the seats.

Out of his curiosity, Harvey approached Mr Harrison for an explanation, and he promised him more fun-filled days ahead with different dead superstars coming to perform live on stage. How did this happen? How were they able to see this dead superstar playing live on stage? Join me on this curious journey to unravel what is going on at The Dead Superstar Bar.

I need to commend the super talent that the author displayed in writing this book. This book explores a varying philosophy of life that will give you reasons to think about your life. At various points, I had to pause reading to pen my opinion about these philosophical beliefs. The humorously layered conversations provide comic relief and make my reading experience smooth. When Harrison played on the first day of the bar's opening, the suspense began to build, and I found myself wondering how the book would end. And I was surprised because it wasn't anywhere near my prediction.

One of the philosophical discussions I enjoyed was the fact that everyone does have horrible moments, but in the end, everyone does find peace. Another fact of the century is that people must die before they can be celebrated. I find this to be true because of the different experiences that I have had.

The author used the novel to also campaign against substance abuse. One of the themes of the concert had the artists, who died quite young as a result of substance abuse, perform. Even though I might not agree with some points raised by the author regarding heaven and hell, I salute his views on this topic and appreciate how he clearly explains the idea or inspiration behind this novel.

I believe the author also promotes the possibility of a clean performance among artists without drugs. Before I finished this book, I created a new playlist called "The Oldies." It was inspired by the song list I encountered while reading. The playlist includes songs by George Harrison, Marvin Gaye, Cass Elliott, The Yardbirds, The Searchers, The Dave Clark Five, The Animals, The Hollies, The Monkees, The Rolling Stones, and others.

The book was delivered in simple English, and the message is relatable. The book is properly formatted and numbered. You will find trivia and fun facts about these artists in this book. Many things you might not know about them are in this book. I relish my moments knowing these facts. There is nothing I disliked about this book. I found a few errors, which made it look professionally edited. For the reasons I mentioned earlier, I will rate The Dead Superstar Bar by Michael J. Nohe 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to 1960s babies who will treasure all of the golden oldies hits. If you also want to explore the beauty of old-school songs, you will easily find your playlist in this book.

"Is the unexamined life worth living?" (Page 168)

The Dead Superstar Bar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Favour Ugwu Chidinma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favyugwu.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by Favour Ugwu Chidinma »

Old school songs, I don't go well with it but I might consider reading the book. Thanks for your honest review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

My knowledge of music from the 1960s is a bit sketchy, so I'm not sure I can fully enjoy this novel, even if it has some other interesting elements. Regardless, thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

The fact that the book includes trivia and fun facts about the artists is a nice touch. It shows that the author put in a lot of research into the book, and readers will appreciate the extra information.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

The book's paranormal experiences and humorous comments create a unique reading experience that will appeal to a wide range of readers, regardless of their musical preferences. The author's use of humor to provide comic relief is something that I always appreciate in a book, and I'm glad to hear that this book has that in spades.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

I am impressed by the author's ability to tackle philosophical issues and make readers pause to think about their lives. It's rare to find a book that can make you laugh and think at the same time. Your mention of the author's campaign against substance abuse is commendable. It's essential to raise awareness about this issue, and I'm glad that the author is using his book to do just that.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

Your review is fantastic and has provided a great summary of what the book is about. I appreciate how you've highlighted the book's themes, and how it explores the "golden oldies" of the 1960s hit songs. Your recommendation to 1960s babies who love the golden oldies hits is spot on. I also recommend this book to anyone who wants to explore the beauty of old-school songs.
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

The book's inclusion of knowledge and interesting facts about the artists is a lovely touch. Readers will value the additional information because it demonstrates how much research the author put into the work.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”