Review of Aurumia

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of Aurumia

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aurumia" by Robert Millon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Aurumia by Robert Millon is a novel that features a bizarre expedition of three men. It starts with a young guy, Stephen Mazard, who approaches the narrator to ask for an investment. Strangely, it is not an investment in stocks or real estate. Steve's target is a lost civilization, and he wants to explore these unknown lands for his book.

Intrigued by Steve's tale, Bob immediately insists on tagging along. With George, Bob's friend, the three of them set out on their journey. What shall they find in Aurumia and Sklabosia, the mysterious nations hidden from our modern world? What is Steve's real objective? Will the group suffer the same fate as their predecessors, those who never returned from these lands?

Borrowing two fictional countries, the author skillfully satirizes our current American society and politics. Aurumia has a force, the Fanatical Backlashers’ International, in charge of monitoring people and gathering information. The only party authorized to participate in elections is the Conservative Revolutionary Action Party. You can guess what the author is trying to say from the initials of its name. Despite their advanced technologies, Aurumians appear to be vulgar barbarians. The way the Pinkies treat the Purples clearly demonstrates the racism that has been persistently plaguing the nation. Their unpleasant custom is strongly supported by an association called the Knights of the Knot and Knife. Again, the abbreviation forms an infamous name. These puns are one of my favorite aspects.

Surprisingly, the lost world is very similar to our world. There are conflicts everywhere, and things are even more ridiculous than you can imagine. Making themselves a carpet is how Sklabosians show their respect toward other people, so a leader will casually step on the bodies of his subordinates without care. The national dish of Aurumia is (literally) a hot dog, consisting of the cooked tail of a puppy stuffed in a bun. Of course, the fate of the dogs won't be better than their tails. That reminds me of foie gras and the cruelty of humankind. Personally, I find these details disturbing.

On the downside, since I found quite a number of missing hyphens and other punctuation mistakes, I suggest another round of proofreading. The poor editing is the reason why I have to deduct a star. I'm unable to give this copy the highest rating, so I will give it 4 out of 5 stars. If you disagree with modern capitalism and its problems, you will want to see how the author criticizes them.

Aurumia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
sethtapan
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by sethtapan »

It is my first reading on the new topic of book club. I think the passage is right and clear .
Ayindelaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayindelaw.html
Latest Review: The Raven's Trail (Book 1) by Liz D. Marx

Post by Ayindelaw »

What an interesting book! I also love puns. Authors have to be really creative to make them hit hard. Imagine CRAP party hahaha...
Innovations are usually the result of desperate times
Natasha Kim
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natasha-kim.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Natasha Kim »

Such an adventurous interesting book. I wonder what mysteries it holds, the challenges they faced and if they all returned home after this adventure. I'm sure to find out. Thanks for your review
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

This book is fully packed with adventure, mystery and lots of intrigue. Would love to dive into this book. Awesome review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

A satirical novel that targets the issues of capitalism is interesting and funny at the same time, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions in readers. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Chinedum Chijioke
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Lead-Er-Ship by William Canary

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

As someone who has read the book I must say it is really an interesting one. This is a fascinating review from you.
Hy Be
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hy-be.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Hy Be »

Great book full of adventures. The expeditions under taken by protagonists are surprisingly interesting.
Domeseo Camus Meda
Currently Reading: The Stealthy Viral Pimpernel
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-domeseo-camus-meda.html
Latest Review: The Beautiful Business by Steven Morris

Post by Domeseo Camus Meda »

A BOOK BY ROBERT MILLON TALKING ABOUT A STRANGE EXPEDITION OF 3 MEN INCLUDING STEPHEN TO EXPLORE UNKNOWN LANDS FOR HIS BOOK, CURRENT AMERICAN POLITICS...
A BOOK FOR THOSE WHO WANT CRITICISM OF MODERN CAPITALISM.GOOD REVIEW
Georgia Nistor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-nistor.html
Latest Review: All Body Bags and No Knickers by Shawe Ruckus

Post by Georgia Nistor »

The book holds lots of mistery, adventure and chalages. I can't wait to read it!
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This is one of my favorite kinds of books to read. I find the satire interesting and, unfortunately, believable. Congratulations on BOTD!
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 83197
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 1077%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

Book 📖📖📚📖📚📖 of the day BOTD is sci-fi fantasy trio Americans who discovered a lost modern in the Amazon jungle the satirical capitalism with it's corporate greed, selfishness, social racial and disfunctional health care system..will they be able to leave to tell tale 😁😳 such an interesting book it was well written and reviewed I will recommend it 💯✅
S26_
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by S26_ »

:) this is a full package of mystery , turns and joy .I really enjoy reading this book . Even though I read this book because I takes me to a different world of mystery. I really feel good that I prefer top read this book
Umesh Bhatt
Favorite Book: Identity And Violence
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umesh-bhatt.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
2024 Reading Goal: 8
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Post by Umesh Bhatt »

The story of the Lost World definitely evokes interest for going through the book. The review is well made and brought out a nice synopsis of the plot.
Knowledge is power but one has to be a bookworm! :techie-studyingbrown:
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

The two fictional nations, Aurumia and Sklabosia, seem holds mysteries to this interesting book. However, by reading the review, I'm convinced that this narrative is not for me. Nonetheless, congratulations to the author on BOTD!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”