Review of The Might of Defiance

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Omobolanle Savage
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Review of The Might of Defiance

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Might of Defiance" by Mary Ellen Wall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

This is a story of passion and preservation. The Might of Defiance by Mary Ellen Wall explores how Marta, also known as van Rijn, joined an expedition to an undisclosed location. She is to be an assistant to Dr. Alain Cartier. She needs this to be able to gather funding for her education. On the expedition, she became friends with two other people, Bartolommeo Rogelio San Luis and Naomi Bloom. On getting to the cabin, she realised that Bart, Naomi, and Cartier had been sent to Tenembras to work. However, there is no chance of coming back to earth. However, they will have to stop first at Lyra 9976 for a few days to perform some experiments. When they got to Lyra 9976, they realised that that's where Van Damme, an exploratory ship from the Netherlands that never returned, was found. And they realised that their mission was accomplished: they had successfully planted trees on this planet, which was now thriving. These brought many memories back to Marta. What's the connection between these trees and Marta? It wasn't only the trees that were discovered; another thing was discovered, and this set the pace for this novel. What is this other thing? How did matter control things that were about to happen? Find out in this book.

First, Tenembras and Lyra 9976 are planets where America is exploring. This book has opened my eyes to some things I never thought were possible. Also, I commend the knowledge that was dished out in this book. It shows the amount of research the author have done while writing this book. She was able to describe the working condition of the spaceship accurately and the nature of the planet they visited.

She took her time to develop the characters adequately. The person of Bart was so believable as he is Hispanic and the interjection of Spanish and his broken English made his character believable and real. I also like the discussion between Doctor Trogden and O'Reilly about Cedric. The way they piece his different personalities intrigued me. And sincerely, I agreed with them. I wonder what inspired his character development.

Marta is so believable. As in, I have not seen a complex character as Marta in novels recently. There is hardly anything she can't do. And when others decided to let her lead the rescue mission, I wasn't surprised how she did it. She is complete but not perfect. There are several times her weakness came into play. She is all round.

The only problem I have with the book is the slow start. I almost gave up on it because I found it difficult to understand what the book is all about. I found it difficult to enter into the book properly but my tolerance paid off at last that it became undroppable. The suspense was top-notch. As the book is the first book of the series, the ending was wrapped up well but gave room for continuation.

Apart from the dislike I mentioned earlier, I found a considerably high number of errors which made me rate this novel 4 out of 5 stars. I recommend this book to lovers of mystery novels and space exploration. It will appeal to their fantasy.

The Might of Defiance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Watson mooya
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Watson mooya »

The book is good for those in love and those searching for love and those who want to become astronaut or space lovers.i can only give this book a 2 star because it's hard to understand some points.
Mhiz Vyi Vyan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhiz-vyi-vyan.html
Latest Review: Beyond The Headlights by Allan Davis

Post by Mhiz Vyi Vyan »

I enjoy books with well-developed characters and will add this book to my shelf soon. Thanks for sharing this lovely review.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

It seems this book has some knowledge around it. How did Marta survive the take off? Or was she not left behind? I want to know. Thanks for this wonderful review. It is superb and made me have want to read the book.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Madam Tori
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madam-tori.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Madam Tori »

The suspense you mentioned is intriguing. I enjoy books that keep me on the edge of my seat. The fact that this is the first book in a series makes me excited for what's to come. I love a good series. I am interested in learning more about Marta's character. It seems like she is a complex and well-rounded character.
A reader lives a thousand lives before they die. What is more marvelous, more wholesome, more exquisite, than exploring all the worlds and universes that humanity can ever conceive?
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

I appreciate the honesty in your review. It's refreshing to hear both positive and negative aspects of a book. It's impressive that the author was able to make Bart's character believable with his use of Spanish and broken English.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

I am excited about the concept of planting trees on another planet. It's fascinating to imagine what that would look like. It's great to hear that the ending was wrapped up well. I don't like it when books leave too many loose ends.
Arrow Shot
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arrow-shot.html
Latest Review: A Bridge to Home by L J Hippler

Post by Arrow Shot »

The way you described the book piqued my interest. I have never read a book about space exploration, and this seems like a good place to start. I like the fact that the characters are well developed, it makes me feel like I will be able to relate to them.
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

I'm beginning to like science fiction. This is a very intriguing review. I love how you described the characters. I will definitely add this book to my shelf.
Omobolanle Savage
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-omobolanle-savage.html
Latest Review: Death is the limit by Aggrey Mokone

Post by Omobolanle Savage »

Mhiz Vyi Vyan wrote: 04 Mar 2023, 17:39 I enjoy books with well-developed characters and will add this book to my shelf soon. Thanks for sharing this lovely review.
Thank you for your comments.
Ama Ra Chi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

What caught my attention was the act of planting trees in another planet. Your review is ok
Ibrahim Hammed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahim-hammed.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Ibrahim Hammed »

The idea of putting down roots on another world excites me. It's interesting to consider what that may look like. It's encouraging to learn that the conclusion was properly handled. I dislike it when books leave too many unresolved issues.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Space exploration is really interesting for me when it's developed with realism like in this novel. The interesting protagonist adds to my curiosity about this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”