Review of The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chinemezu Okafor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinemezu-okafor.html
Latest Review: Doctor in the World by Hiram Baddeley

Review of The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra

Post by Chinemezu Okafor »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra" by A Ali Hasan Ali.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The book The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra reminds me of the fabled stories of Arabian Nights. It brings back fables and tales of jinns with powerful magic displaying their cunning and wisdom and the lessons we learn from those who fall prey to their machinations as well as those who triumph either by a stroke of luck or unparalleled wisdom.

A. Ali Hasan Ali tells a tale of a young farmer whose joy of his newly born son was turned into strife and grief when he unwittingly was pulled into a world he had little control of just because his son was born under a calamitous star. Not wanting to accept the fate of life's death, he decides to take his fate and that of his son into his own hands and fight whatsoever evil that may bring harm to him and his family by any means necessary, even if it means going against the mysterious jinn master feared by all.

I love the gradual progression of the plot and how every character was brought to light in the book. We could see the insight each character had and what drove every decision they made. I love the ancient feeling the book gives its readers. It gives the air of actually reliving a legend or being a character in the book.

In addition, the detailing in the book and its description of several objects, wears, and strange artifacts made it easier for those who had no prior knowledge about said object or thing to get a good picture of what the author was trying to get across to his readers. It is also pertinent that I point out the richness of this book in terms of moral lessons. There was more than one moral lesson to get from this book, as all good tales should. Each character has a different story as well as a different lesson that the readers are to learn from his story.

The book is a good read. From the beginning to the end, the book was exhilarating. I found nothing to dislike about it. The overall experience was excellent, as I found no errors while reading the book. It was exceptionally well edited. This leads to me giving the book a rating of 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to anybody who would want to kick off after a stressful day at work or would want a fantastic bedtime story for your slightly older kid. It is a must-read if you would want to lighten your day and you are a lover of the mystic world of jinns and a good magical tale. This book is sure to enlighten as well as make your day.

The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Mikail Nurur-Rahman1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mikail-nurur-rahman1.html
Latest Review: Ituy by Taylor Willingham

Post by Mikail Nurur-Rahman1 »

Thanks so much for the review!
I believe i would certainly gain something worthy from reading this sci-fi both in morals and feeling relaxed!
In short this would probably be a good book for my day!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This book seems to have been written reusing very classic Arabic folklore, starting with the jinn. I don't know if the author used a similar style, as I know too little about those classic stories but this one makes me curious. Thank you for your great review.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”