Review of The Unexpected Queen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of The Unexpected Queen

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unexpected Queen" by A.R. Kaufer.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Unexpected Queen by A. R. Kaufer is a fantasy book that weaves love, dislike, duty, and a hint of desperation into a smooth, compelling read.

Fragile Miss Sera oversaw the Dahvaene's estate and met Dankin while searching for a job. No one knew anything about this handsome stranger, and Sera was curious. Their meeting pulled him into her life and gave him a clear view of what she would rather keep hidden. They went down the path to love. Their love story fully began when he gave her an unexpected gift — a gift that could make her queen and take her away from the world she had always known. Would she last long enough to enjoy the gift, or would she fall apart?

The Unexpected Queen is one of those books you go into predicting every turning point just to be shocked that it doesn't come out how you expect, and I love that. The book goes through a familiar path in an unfamiliar world the author creates. It retains the familiarity and still has twists you won't expect.

Another thing I liked about this book was the unexpected openness of the characters. There was no sneaking around, and their intentions were known early enough. I wanted to flag this as a negative aspect, as I did not expect the author to do that. However, midway into the story, it made sense why the author did that. I wouldn't want to say more for fear of giving away spoilers.

The Unexpected Queen also has a lot of drama. She includes familiar mythical creatures with different powers and backstories. It was fun seeing the author reimagine the lives of these creatures — not following the known script. The characters' names might be difficult to pronounce, but they add flavor to the story. Once you get sucked into all the action, you won't worry about pronouncing them right.

Even though I stumbled through some sentences, and it had me re-reading some lines, there was nothing I disliked about this book. From the characters to the plot and the overall nature of the book, I loved every part of it. The Unexpected Queen dragged me through emotions and even made me scream at the characters at some point.

The Unexpected Queen will appeal to fans of fantasy and mythical creatures and readers of all ages who want to read about familiar creatures from a fresh perspective. It is professionally edited, and I rate it 5 out of 5 stars because I enjoyed every bit of it.

The Unexpected Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Book owly
Favorite Book: The Raven Boys
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arakhsh-qanit.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Book owly »

Your review reminds me of the old tale about kingdoms, kings and queens, however I find the story interesting to read and I kind of like that. Your review is excellent and I will add this book to my shelves for future readings. Thank you for your great review.
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

I’m intrigued to find out why the author was so open about everything and yet stil created a lot of drama. Thanks for a great review!
jalal laouad
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jalal laouad »

Idon't like it
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

I love stories about mythical characters. It brings out the child in you when you start imagining that fantasy world. Nice review.
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Jay Dee 3
Favorite Book: Good Sexual Hygiene & Spiritual Attitude
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-dee-3.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Jay Dee 3 »

I am intrigued by this book it’s a very good book I could read it again.
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

This sounds like an action packed and interesting book that I could easily enjoy and I'm glad you liked it. Nice review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

You had me at mythical creatures, as they always make a great story when the author is skilled, as it seems in this case. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Sounds like Dankin was sent from above from Sera's perspective. Imagine someone coming into your life and making you queen, or king. That can be either be too good to be true, or result to an epic love story in the end. Wonderful review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”