Review of The European Shard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwelite-obioma-mgbeoji.html
Latest Review: Choices by Ogonna Juliet Nnamani

Review of The European Shard

Post by Chiwelite Obioma Mgbeoji »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The European Shard" by Devduth Menon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Elves, phoenixes, magic, and adventure - sometimes, these are just what we need to take our imagination far and wide, successfully pulling us out of the seriousness of life and transporting us to the world of fantasy. Devduth Menon successfully executes this in his book, giving his readers a reprieve from the real world and taking us on a mind-blowing adventure.

The European Shard by Devduth Menon takes us on an adventure of Link with the help of his two friends as they go across the countries of Europe to find the shard that will save the people of Elvwizest from the Shadow Forest Sorceress. Friendship, adventure, betrayal, and battles are all seen in this book. Will Link be able to save his people, or will he be consumed by the darkness of the Shadow Forest Sorceress? Will he be able to count on his friends in the course of their journey? You will have to go on the adventure of reading this book to find out.

While reading this book, I really appreciated the mind of the author, who was able to pen down each and every adventure of Link and his friends beautifully. I loved that the cities were described gracefully, giving readers a graphic imagination throughout the trio’s adventurous journeys; this made it seem like we were there with them. Most of all, I loved the thrills that came with the trio entering a new city and anticipating what that city held in store for them and how it would help in their mission.

However, there were a few things I didn’t like about this book. I felt that some parts of the book were rushed, which reduced part of the fun and adventure of the book, and I didn’t appreciate this. Also, the direct speeches were not in order, which left me confused sometimes. I was not able to decipher who made a particular statement amongst the characters, and this was quite hectic to figure out sometimes. It affected my satisfaction with the book. I also found a lot of errors in the book; it was not professionally edited.

I rate this book four out of five stars. This is because of the adventurous mood it put me in and the world of fantasy it took me to. I loved it all, apart from the negative aspects mentioned above. I could not rate it lower because it was a wonderful read.

I recommend this book to children and young readers as this book will surely capture their attention. I will also recommend this book for lovers of adventure and fantasy, as this book will take them on one wonderful adventurous ride.

The European Shard
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be old for this type of story but despite the flaws you pointed out, this seems like an engaging fantasy adventure. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Desola Orimoloye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dessyyyy.html
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Post by Desola Orimoloye »

Thank you for your insightful review. It is clear that you enjoyed the imaginative world-building and adventurous storyline of the book. I agree with you that fast pacing can detract from the overall enjoyment and immersion in the story, especially when it's not balanced with sufficient character development and world-building.
Latest Review: Binge by Anne Pfeffer

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”