Review of The Magic Lantern

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Review of The Magic Lantern

Post by Ria710 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Magic Lantern" by Charles Townsend.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

No matter how hard Delvin tries to stop the magicians, they never give up. In this third book, the magicians are back trying to take over Argent and Hengel again, despite failing the last time. This time, the magicians have come prepared and stopping them won’t be easy. Delvin and his friends must once again use his magic stone to take them down. Will the magicians successfully claim the powerful cities? And will the black magician finally capture Delvin? The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend will take readers on a crazy journey.

After finishing the second book in the series a while back, I was intrigued to see where the story would go for the third book. Townsend has done a fantastic job with the writing of this book. The story flowed smoothly, as there was no point in the book where I felt that the pacing was off. The book opens with a summary of books 1 and 2, which, in my opinion, is a great idea because it allows those who haven’t read the previous books to be able to read this one on its own. I also like that Townsend does not waffle and just gets right to the point. An example of this would be the first chapter, as we are immediately put into an action scene. The fast pacing of the story meant that my attention was on the book from the start to the end.

Whilst there are similarities to the first and second books, the story in this book is still very unique. I really liked that we got to learn more about the magicians and understand their motivation and goals. In addition to that, I enjoyed seeing Delvin grow more confident as a magician and become more comfortable with the other characters.

Whilst I think the book is amazing, there is one thing that I disliked about it. I felt like the book focused too much on Delvin, and as a result, we didn’t get to explore the other characters. In the previous books, Princess Jarla and Grimbolt felt like protagonists, but in this book, they felt like side characters. I would have liked to have more dialogue from Princess Jarla and Grimbolt. Despite this, I don’t think it took anything away from the main story.

If there is one important message, I think readers should take away from this book, it’s the idea of never giving up on your goals. Despite the many obstacles Delvin and his friends faced in stopping the magicians, they kept going forward.

Overall, I would rate this book 5 out of 5 stars because I had a great time reading it. I found no mistakes, so it is professionally edited. This book is suitable for young adults, so if you are someone who enjoys reading fantasy/adventure books, then I definitely recommend you give this one a go.

The Magic Lantern
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
John Kingsley Ken
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

This is the third of the three parts of this story, and it feels more like a seasonal movie, leaving the audience with enough imaginations of what will happen next in the next part, The fact that increased my interest in this book was the summary of the first and second book that was added at the beginning of this third book, what an amazing technique used to carry the firstimers along with the storyline. Nice job!
Ben Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

Really interesting review, I like the sounds of it and I definitely think it's one I'll look at reading in the future, perhaps soon.
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I wonder what it is about these cities that has attracted these unrelenting magicians? Why do they want to take over? Intriguing story. Thanks for the review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

The book is full of suspense and is incredible but i enjoy your review on it but for the this question "Will the magicians successfully claim the powerful cities?" I had to add the book to my bookshelf ASAP so as to answer the question.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I keep on suspecting that I might be old for this kind of story but all the reviews of this series' book gave me positive impressions about their contents, so I guess I'll have to give this series a try. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Blackstenius
Favorite Book: The Magician's Secret
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackstenius.html
Latest Review: Amora by Grant Hallstrom

Post by Blackstenius »

I enjoyed the first installment of the series that this book is a part of. It's my favorite book to date and I was really looking forward to reading its sequels. What's the title of the 2nd book? Anyway, I enjoyed reading your review. To me, the plots' simplicity is what makes these Delvin stories great, and the no-time-wasting, no-beating-around-the-bush, straightforward nature of the plot is one factor that got me hooked to the story, not wanting to put the book down until finished with it. The franchise's storyline would be a good idea to be adapted into a film!
The gift turned out to be a curse. They killed him with kindness.
reviewerbook17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerbook17.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by reviewerbook17 »

I think this is an amazing book and I read the first one I would love to read the other parts of this book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”