Review of Princess Rouran and the Book of the Living

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Princess Rouran and the Book of the Living

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Princess Rouran and the Book of the Living" by Shawe Ruckus.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The second instalment in the Princess Rouran Adventures written by Shawe Ruckus, Princess Rouran and the Book of the Living follows the Keyholders as they race against the clock to find the Book of the Living. Edith, her niece Moli, James, and Kiza are pulled from the normal world—as normal as it gets in pandemic mode, anyhow—to stop one of the most famous historical villains: Adolf Hitler. In Ancient Egypt, they must complete riddles and face off against prehistoric dinosaurs and metal creatures, using their wits and gifted tools to complete their quest. A sentient AI hellbent on destruction plagues their journey, poking at their weaknesses and tormenting them with visions of a hellish future. Will they be able to fulfil their destiny before time runs out?

Irreverent dark humour is the bread and butter of Princess Rouran and the Book of the Living. The narrative comprises pithy statements, sometimes shifting so abruptly because of the nature of the plot. As a side note, racism, xenophobia, torture, profanity and other dark, disturbing components are present, and in large supply, too. There is a tricky balance between feeling empathy for the protagonists and victims of the villains’ schemes and not taking it too seriously, just as how the book didn’t take itself too seriously.

The central characters are bilingual, so foreign words are a regular occurrence in this novel. These include Spanish, German, Chinese, Japanese, and more. It makes for an interesting read, but nearly all of these words are explained, so understanding is never really an issue. This sort of branches off from the history, random titbits, and virtual deluge of cultural references found within.

On the topic of the main characters, Pandorai, the resident evil, sentient, antagonistic AI, stood out like a beacon. It embodies the traits that make artificial intelligence boogeymen in fiction, donning a skeletal human mien with a madman’s psyche. While not exactly likeable—the penchant for genocide and a concerning attitude problem guaranteeing this an impossibility—Pandorai was certainly memorable, and I admit to stifling a laugh, or many, at its very out-of-pocket jokes and general taunting.

I did spot some errors in the writing, which weren’t too bad but numbered significantly. Their presence led me to believe that while the book might have been professionally edited, it was not done thoroughly.

Princess Rouran and the Book of the Living gets a rating of four out of five stars. It was near perfect, save for the errors I found within the relatively short book. Its witty delivery, the balance of multiple thematic elements, spotlighting of real-world issues, and how it put together a ragtag bunch with a lot of potential rank it up there as one of the best science fiction and fantasy books I’ve read in a while.

The audience for this book is wide and varied. There are a few conditions, though. The first is that a strictly mature age group is required. Second, much of the content is downright offensive, so individuals who are easily triggered should not read it. People who fancy elements like time travel, artificially intelligent villains, fast-paced action, dark humour, and the like will be sure to love this book. Readers looking for a light read should also pick it up. While the first book isn’t crucial to the events of the second, I do think readers will be better off reading it and then moving on to this one for more background and context.

Princess Rouran and the Book of the Living
View: on Bookshelves
Ben Madeley
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-madeley.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ben Madeley »

This sounds like an interesting novel and like a slightly unusual style. It's something I might like to read soon. Nice review.
Villemon
Currently Reading: It Strikes Again
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Villemon »

Too difficult to predict the end of the story but it's interesting and too curious to read because the author is very skillful and has created a very rich fantasy world that is filled with magic,mystical creatures and fascinating cultural details .
I recommend it to those people who love adventure stories dealing with time travel. I give it a 4 out of 5 stars
Marilyn Weber
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marilyn-weber.html
Latest Review: Nimue: Freeing Merlin (Barnes & Noble Edition) by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Marilyn Weber »

I have to admit that I'm intrigued by the review. While it's difficult to overlook too many errors, the subject matter sounds engaging. I appreciate the warning about possible upsetting topics and how they are handled in the story.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This is a curious novel that addresses important issues but does it using dark humor. This unusual choice and the storyline make me curious about this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

The riddles will make the fun for me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”