Review of The Chronicles of Brelhiem Novella One: Of Goblins and Grim Science

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amiczy Heaven
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amiczy-heaven.html
Latest Review: Living the Beatitudes by Gary L. Engstrom

Review of The Chronicles of Brelhiem Novella One: Of Goblins and Grim Science

Post by Amiczy Heaven »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Chronicles of Brelhiem Novella One: Of Goblins and Grim Science" by Kaleb A. Dennis.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Chronicles of Brelhiem Novella One: Of Goblins and Grim Science: Introducing the Fantasy Novella Series, written by Kaleb A. Dennis, is a story about two monster-slaying rangers who team up with a magician to save a city from an evil mage. Graham, Elidyr, and Elidyr’s dog Fengrik are in Brelhiem, preparing to go into the small town of Ærivale because the part of Brelhiem they were in at the time, Wesrun Earldom, had no jobs for them, so they decided to move to Ærivale when they discover a mage has been terrorising the town using goblins. They team up with a magician who also came to Ærivale in search of the mage.

The one thing I like about this book is that it is part of a series, so I can anticipate more from this author. The story was interesting enough for me to want more. The storyline was great, and the author tells a story and keeps readers interested. The suspense in the book was the author’s technique to keep readers interested. I kept looking forward to Elidyr and Naomi’s next move because they were more naive than Graham, whom I knew would be fine. I was also looking forward to some romance between Elidyr and Naomi. I love the unique names that the author used in the book; they worked well with the book’s settings. I love the pace of the book; it's easy to read. I also liked the characters; I liked how he introduced them. I thought that Naomi would be a problem for the rangers with the way she was introduced in the story. It was a fun read.

The only thing that I wasn’t impressed with was the book’s cover. When I picked up the book, I thought I would be reading a story meant just for young adults, and I thought the characters would be kids because of the pictures on the cover. Although I was glad the characters were not kids—there were grown-ups or other creatures—this is not critical enough for me not to like this book, however misleading it was. I also understand that the author is young, which would make the cover more appealing to young adults. It's a fantastic book, and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

The book’s plot of this story progressed beautifully. There weren’t any unnecessary drawbacks. For a book that impressed me so much, I rate it 5 out of 5 stars. The book was professionally edited, and I only spotted a few errors in the book. The book cover that I mentioned earlier did not make me like the book any less; I loved every part of this book and found no reason to deduct a star.

I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy because of the magical experiences in the book. The book will also appeal greatly to readers who love adventurous novels, as the book is filled with a lot of adventurous activities. The book will appeal to people of any age, but young adult readers will love it more because the storyline has a youthfulness to it.

The Chronicles of Brelhiem Novella One: Of Goblins and Grim Science
View: on Bookshelves
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The cover indeed suggests a work targeted to young adults, so I'm glad it can be enjoyed by older readers because it seems like an engaging fantasy novella. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”