Review of Restoration

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Sonbol
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-sonbol.html
Latest Review: Virus 4 Peace by June
fav_author_id: 2484

Review of Restoration

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Restoration" by Sam Bradbury.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In a futuristic era, Sam Bradbury imagines a world where the natural ecological system is deteriorating to alarming proportions. Many natural scenes are just fading memories for the elderly, while younger generations are oblivious to those natural beauties. The climate changed dramatically, and wearing filter masks became the norm. Lands are separated into two categories: destabilized lands, where people are starving, and stable lands, where they rely on genetically engineered food. Individuals who wish to make a difference and restore what has been lost are extremely rare, yet some have been able to work together. Would they succeed in their efforts to restore natural life? Would their efforts be appreciated? Would people understand the dire consequences of their irrational behaviors towards nature? Read Restoration by Sam Bradbury to delve deeper into that scary world.

To a great extent, the novel is bleak and gloomy. Nonetheless, it conveys an immensely vital message. It shows how dark the future might be if people continued their irrational industrialized development activities. Nature is being destroyed along the way, eventually leading to the destruction of our planet. The depicted world in the book is terrifying and draws attention to the importance of addressing climate change and implementing effective measures to prevent irrational human activities.

Despite the book's bleakness, I enjoyed reading it. The main protagonists were of different backgrounds and from different places, but they all loved nature and had the dream of saving our planet. Unlike the other protagonists, one of the main characters was not named throughout the book. I'm not sure whether this is a plus or a minus. It was somehow an intriguing strategy, but it was sometimes confusing. I particularly loved how the author demonstrated how politicians and legislators could make a difference by executing effective measures to preserve nature. Also, the novel was free of any provocative moments, which was ideal for me.

The only negative aspect, in my opinion, was the use of many swear words in the book. They were not excessive, but they were scattered throughout the book. Even though the book was carefully proofread, I discovered a few errors while reading it. As a result, I rate this book four out of five stars.

People who do not like dystopian literature may not like this one. On the other hand, many more would find it eye-opening and thought-provoking. People who worry about the environment, climate change, and future generations may be interested.

Restoration
View: on Bookshelves
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

My fear is that we are heading into Sam's futuristic era. We have no regard for mother nature and no desire to keep her balanced. Sadly, we, or the next generations will experience her wrath. I hope more and more people will wake up and realise the damage we are causing on the planet. Thanks for the review!
Oluchi23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi23.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Oluchi23 »

My worries is what will be the fate of the living if the wind of restoration did not blow? That will be a terrible situations. I must add to my bookshelf ASAP. It is a must read book. Kudos, nice review
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

ElinaT wrote: 17 Mar 2023, 21:55 My fear is that we are heading into Sam's futuristic era. We have no regard for mother nature and no desire to keep her balanced. Sadly, we, or the next generations will experience her wrath. I hope more and more people will wake up and realise the damage we are causing on the planet. Thanks for the review!
I agree. I hope that many people do realize the damage we are causing to nature. Thanks for your feedback and comment.
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Oluchi23 wrote: 18 Mar 2023, 02:10 My worries is what will be the fate of the living if the wind of restoration did not blow? That will be a terrible situations. I must add to my bookshelf ASAP. It is a must read book. Kudos, nice review
Yes, the situation would be terrible indeed if proper actions were not taken. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I agree that it is worth reading.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I agree with the message. Of course, I do. But since I already suffer from a great deal of eco-anxiety, I try to skip books like this one unless they have some sort of call to action involved. Not just politicians, but we all should be doing our part.
Good review!
Tamara Bengesai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamara-bengesai.html
Latest Review: Seeking... Finding... Healing... by Becky Lu Jackson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Tamara Bengesai »

You did a fantastic writing this review. I am naturally an environmentalist who cares about mother nature. As much as it is a fiction book, this is one book, I will definitely read. Congratulations.
Cheryl Erickson
Currently Reading: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking)
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-erickson.html
Latest Review: The Caroler by Liza Martini
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Cheryl Erickson »

I am not drawn to bleak and gloomy books, but this sure is a wake-up all for all people on our planet! Nice work on this book review.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The North Factor
Bookshelf Size: 1662
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Crossing Paths by Nina Purtee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

I would have to agree on the political aspects having an impact. In Michigan, their roads are a lot better but they use recycled glass, cans, etc for materials and to make money. In Oklahoma, I think our politicians have decided to regress. My street was paved. Last week they tore it up and made it a gravel road. Recycling isn't required here. My ex was from Michigan and we would save our cans, glass bottles, and plastic bottles and take them to Michigan twice a year for visiting his family. They paid you for the recyclables and it would more than pay for our trip. At five scents a can and 25 cents a bottle it was worth it. I think solar power is beneficial- that's how I charge the electric fence for my ten acres(it keeps horses from leaning against the fence, and keeps coyotes and other animals out) The windmill farms don't make sense to me because if there is no wind then they require electricity to work.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 17:01 I agree with the message. Of course, I do. But since I already suffer from a great deal of eco-anxiety, I try to skip books like this one unless they have some sort of call to action involved. Not just politicians, but we all should be doing our part.
Good review!
I think you are probably right to skip this book if you suffer from eco-anxiety. The book is extremely gloomy.
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Tamara Bengesai wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 10:33 You did a fantastic writing this review. I am naturally an environmentalist who cares about mother nature. As much as it is a fiction book, this is one book, I will definitely read. Congratulations.
I hope you will enjoy reading it. Thanks for commenting and passing by.
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Cheryl Erickson wrote: 05 Apr 2023, 10:27 I am not drawn to bleak and gloomy books, but this sure is a wake-up all for all people on our planet! Nice work on this book review.
Yes I agree. Usually, I don't like reading gloomy book, but as you said "it is a wake-up call". Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Sarah Sonbol
Currently Reading:

Post by Sarah Sonbol »

Stephanie Runyon wrote: 07 Apr 2023, 13:01 I would have to agree on the political aspects having an impact. In Michigan, their roads are a lot better but they use recycled glass, cans, etc for materials and to make money. In Oklahoma, I think our politicians have decided to regress. My street was paved. Last week they tore it up and made it a gravel road. Recycling isn't required here. My ex was from Michigan and we would save our cans, glass bottles, and plastic bottles and take them to Michigan twice a year for visiting his family. They paid you for the recyclables and it would more than pay for our trip. At five scents a can and 25 cents a bottle it was worth it. I think solar power is beneficial- that's how I charge the electric fence for my ten acres(it keeps horses from leaning against the fence, and keeps coyotes and other animals out) The windmill farms don't make sense to me because if there is no wind then they require electricity to work.
I think windmills would be beneficial if they are set in a place with strong winds. Even if they will use the usual electrical systems sometimes, their dependence on them will be greatly reduced which is good. Thanks for your detailed comment.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”