Review of The Republic of Texas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jack King
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Specter of the Past
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jack-king.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Review of The Republic of Texas

Post by Jack King »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Republic of Texas" by Gary Bray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Republic of Texas by Gary Bray is a science fiction book set in the near future. Texas has seceded from the United States of America and once again become a republic. The continued growth and overreach of the United Nations acting as a world government has stalled and hampered progress in many parts of the globe. The economic and personal freedoms experienced in Texas lead to unprecedented growth. Their continued growth and dominance of energy supplies and technological advancements have put them on a collision course with the United Nations. Energy mogul Steven Moses leads the way for Texas as the world's richest man and, with much political and social influence, he will be key in their struggles with the United Nations!

My wife was born and raised in Texas and it is a place I have much love for. Reading through the book, there were so many wonderful and accurate references to Texas that it made me feel like I was there! The author sets the tone wonderfully and within the first few pages of the book informs the reader of what has happened in the world. With the stage set, he does not hesitate in exploring the new technologies of the world he has created. As with all great science fiction, there is a wonderful display of futuristic technology alongside a world that is just believable enough to connect with. The lack of unity and division in the run-up to the last presidential election makes Texas secession feel very believable and real. The book focuses on only a small cast of characters, which gives them each large page time to develop and understand them well. The story is well-focused and has two main strands based on either side of the border, which progresses the book well. One of the most enjoyable parts of the book is the author's use of speech. Almost every main character, at one point in the book, delivers a rousing and well-received speech. Each of these is written to perfection for their character. It also serves as a great way to deliver information to the reader. The book was incredibly fun to read, with very few errors, and professionally edited.

I could continue with more positives but would run out of time! Fortunately, I found only one negative. The book was not long enough! The final quarter of the book progressed at a lightning pace and, whilst fun to read, I feel the author could have made it longer and included more detail. Perhaps, if he wanted, he could have made the book into a two-part series.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The author has done a marvellous job creating a realistic near-future filled with wonderful technology and believable politics. He does a great job describing the characters and creating a unique and fun story to read. As stated above, there is only one negative I found whilst reading the book, which is all that is stopping me from giving it full marks. I look forward to more of his work!

The book is mainly geared towards a male audience, and the perspective is mostly from male characters. The book does deal with some heavy political ideals which may feel close to home to those on either political spectrum. However, I would not let that put you off reading the book. I would particularly recommend the book to Texans and those with familiarity and love for the Lone Star State. Those that do will get greater enjoyment from understanding some of the jokes and references.

The Republic of Texas
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
We've longed to see the roses, but never felt the thorns
And bought our pretty crowns, but never paid the price
Find me in the river, find me there
Find me on my knees with my soul laid bare
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
Jack King
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Picnic Pirates by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Jack King »

OkonChika wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 03:00 This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.
It’s a very fun book to read and well with reading! Thank you for your kind feedback!
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: One If by Carol B Allen
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This seems like a fun book for those who have a soft spot for Texas. Thanks for the informative review!
Adeoluwa Adebusuyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeoluwa-adebusuyi.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Adeoluwa Adebusuyi »

This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
Favour Hillz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-favour-hillz.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Favour Hillz »

A unique title with a wonderful plot. The author really did an amazing job in making this book magnificent. Thanks for this review.
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

Laney K wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 06:00 This seems like a fun book for those who have a soft spot for Texas. Thanks for the informative review!
Definitely is a great book if you’re fond of Texas!
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

Adeoluwa Adebusuyi wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 07:06 This is a good and well written review. You captured all the important components of the book and I would definitely love to try out this book. Well done.
Definitely do check it out, it’s great fun, thank you for your kind words :)
Jack King

Post by Jack King »

Anna Hillzz wrote: 25 Mar 2023, 11:10 A unique title with a wonderful plot. The author really did an amazing job in making this book magnificent. Thanks for this review.
That he did! It was perfect sci-fi, it had great future tech but felt just believable enough too.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”