Review of The Uncertain Past of Malachi Trendle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Review of The Uncertain Past of Malachi Trendle

Post by Sou Hi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Uncertain Past of Malachi Trendle" by Kevin Vodden.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Uncertain Past of Malachi Trendle by Kevin Vodden is an uncommon story of an unusual person. Most of us move toward an unknown future, but that doesn't apply to Malachi. It's not that he is so rich or so talented that he has no worries about what will be ahead of him. It's because he already knows what will happen, things that haven't occurred or existed yet. Is he truly a superhuman? What is the nature of his ability, which grants him visions of his future but robs him of his past? Between his best friend and his wife, who would he sacrifice so that the other can live?

I enjoy Malachi's inner battles, and the first-person point of view is an excellent choice. It reflects his struggles as a clairvoyant, especially when he firmly believes that what will happen has to happen. Like Ratty, who argues that Malachi should use his knowledge to save people before it is too late, you may be displeased with the protagonist's stubbornness. Still, it is one of the factors that makes the story interesting. You will be anxious to know when and how he will change his mind.

On the downside, the progress is quite slow. You need to be patient until you reach the main event, which is around the last half of the book. Additionally, since some parts are repeated, they may confuse you. The long sentences also make it difficult to understand what the characters are trying to say.

Another issue is that Malachi's wife pales in comparison with other characters. Despite being with each other for decades, Freia never knows about her husband's power. Thus, she lives like a lamb to the slaughter. Besides, I can't tell if Malachi really has feelings for her. He always accepts whatever his future shows him, so it's more like he marries her because he knows she would be his spouse. Even his most important choice seems like it's done out of guilt instead of love. Admittedly, I was more interested in his friend, who's quite smart and determined to find a way to save his own life.

Considering the mentioned negative aspects, I will rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I found more than 10 errors, so I guess the copy needs another round of editing. If you are a fan of sci-fi and psychological novels, you will be interested in Malachi's power and the way it affects his life.

The Uncertain Past of Malachi Trendle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

Nice Review, but the fact that it is starts slow may be quite a bit of a problem for me. And I also prefer it when the author gives a clear description of the state of mind of the characters.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

This is an interesting and well thought of review. I would love to try out this book and know more about the fascinating things in it. This is an interesting storyline.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”