Official Review: Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jmalone1994
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: Ink Exchange
Currently Reading: The Blood of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmalone1994.html
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
fav_author_id: 2912

Official Review: Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone

Post by jmalone1994 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone" by Lynne Murray.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

During an intergalactic conference Sybil, a delegate from the planet Valkyrie, transports Gravitas, a highly potent aphrodisiac, to trade during the event. However, before the trade can be made Sybil is attacked and knocked through a portal to the planet Earth-otherwise known as the Forbidden Zone. With all portals closed and no help coming Sybil must find a way out of the Forbidden Zone before the Gravitas she carries destroys her.

I would like to start out by saying congratulations to the author for writing this piece. I thought the idea was very intriguing and had lots of potential. That being said, there are quite a few things in this book that I had some problems with. Firstly, the amount of explanation in this book was minimal and simplistic. Many concepts in this book about the world that Sybil lived in and how it worked either didn’t come at all or were explained as if the character were speaking to the reader directly. World building should be done subtly and should also be thorough, this is especially important within the sci-fi and fantasy genres. Due to this lack of world building I spent a lot of my time reading this book confused.

The second largest issue I had with this book was its discontinuity and fast pace. After the beginning of the book the scenes would change from one scene to another and then to another and so on with no logical follow through. This became especially bad towards the end to the point that it got hard to follow what was going on with the storyline. It’s almost as if the book was like an action movie that had all of the scenes except the action scenes taken out. This makes it not only hard to follow a storyline, but it’s also hard to really care for any of the characters because minimal time is given for the characters to be developed properly.

My final issue with this book was the ending or more in particular the lack of an ending. There were multiple social arcs hinted at between certain characters during this book, which is one of the things I enjoyed about this book and wish had been explored more, but the problem is that these arcs were introduced and then never resolved. I understand that you can’t resolve every single thread at the end of a story, but I feel if you are going to mention it repeatedly it needs to be resolved at the end of the book.

Overall, I would rate this book a 2 out of 4. It was okay, but due to the discontinuity, minimal world building, and lack of properly resolved storylines the book was difficult to get through and it was hard to enjoy it for just its story.

Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | Hassle-Free Sample

Like jmalone1994's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The Weatherman" by Tyreese Walton
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Good review! I like how descriptive you were when describing the flaws with the writing. I have read more than my fair share of books like this one--good story with lots of potential, but coupled with insufficient writing.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

Good review, although it makes me curious regarding what the author got right about the book. You seemed to only mention the negatives, or at least spent the bulk of your prose on them.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
literarycat
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Currently Reading: Survivors: Secrets
Bookshelf Size: 2331
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-literarycat.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by literarycat »

Very well written and honest. I like how you described the flaws in a critical manner not coming off mean or anything. Good job.
The world breaks everyone, and afterwards, some are strong at the broken points ~ Ernest Hemingway.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The theme sounds really interesting. However, the manner it was written sounds to be wanting.
Sassyfrass
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sassyfrass »

I like this review, but I do have to agree with dhaller that you only seem to point out the negative things, however, I understand that you're just giving your honest review. The plotline sounds great though.
psyche
Currently Reading: Void Contract
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psyche.html
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick

Post by psyche »

How would the gravitas destroy her? I understand the stakes of trying to get back to her world but I am not sure how an aphrodisiac raises the stakes?
Latest Review: "NovoPulp Anthology - Volume 2" by Niamh Brown, B. Morris Allen, M. J. Kobernus, David Grigg, Kimberly Unger, Daniela Huguet, Russ Bick
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

Thanks for your review. I myself in my potential projects would make a big priority, as regards World building.

The book has a very distinctive title and premise, but perhaps had more potential than actual end project from what you are saying.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
James Craft
Favorite Author: Lincoln Cole
Currently Reading: Carnivore
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-craft.html
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
fav_author_id: 26410

Post by James Craft »

Good review, well constructed! The book seems interesting, but it sounds like it might have fallen flat in execution. Oh well.
Latest Review: "Perdido Bay Blues" by Jacqueline Lane
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

It does sound like an interesting premise so it is unfortunate that it turned out to be disappointing. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
George Sparrow
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 51

Post by George Sparrow »

Though it seems like an interesting premise, I find Valkyries in space somewhat kitschy. The reviewer showed a couple of discrepancies that just don't make it worth your time.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Nice review but the book is not pleasing to my ears. You've than it well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I enjoyed reading your review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

Nicely written review. Well done on being constructive and conscious of the author in your review. Hopefully the author takes this into consideration with any future books.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I can work with poor characterisation or world building but both of them at the same time in a science fiction novel? It's a shame because I would have loved to know more about Gravitas, Valkyrie and why Earth is the Forbidden Zone.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nafreezy
Currently Reading: HBR Guide to Project Management
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nafreezy.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Nafreezy »

Very nice and honest review.
I like it when there's a heroine who's a super human trying to accomplish some good. Her struggles are bound to teach something or two. I can't wait for this.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”