Official Review: Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Re: Official Review: Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I was quickly captivated by the synopsis, so I hope this book gets revised (as it certainly doesn't sound ready to read at the moment). Thanks for the honest review!
Rizki Pradana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rizki-pradana.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Rizki Pradana »

I am not seen a lot of honest reviews, but this one is an honest review because you felt like the ending was lacking, which made me consider reading this book or not.
EternalD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eternald.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by EternalD »

jmalone1994 wrote: 10 Aug 2015, 08:18 [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone" by Lynne Murray.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

During an intergalactic conference Sybil, a delegate from the planet Valkyrie, transports Gravitas, a highly potent aphrodisiac, to trade during the event. However, before the trade can be made Sybil is attacked and knocked through a portal to the planet Earth-otherwise known as the Forbidden Zone. With all portals closed and no help coming Sybil must find a way out of the Forbidden Zone before the Gravitas she carries destroys her.

I would like to start out by saying congratulations to the author for writing this piece. I thought the idea was very intriguing and had lots of potential. That being said, there are quite a few things in this book that I had some problems with. Firstly, the amount of explanation in this book was minimal and simplistic. Many concepts in this book about the world that Sybil lived in and how it worked either didn’t come at all or were explained as if the character were speaking to the reader directly. World building should be done subtly and should also be thorough, this is especially important within the sci-fi and fantasy genres. Due to this lack of world building I spent a lot of my time reading this book confused.

The second largest issue I had with this book was its discontinuity and fast pace. After the beginning of the book the scenes would change from one scene to another and then to another and so on with no logical follow through. This became especially bad towards the end to the point that it got hard to follow what was going on with the storyline. It’s almost as if the book was like an action movie that had all of the scenes except the action scenes taken out. This makes it not only hard to follow a storyline, but it’s also hard to really care for any of the characters because minimal time is given for the characters to be developed properly.

My final issue with this book was the ending or more in particular the lack of an ending. There were multiple social arcs hinted at between certain characters during this book, which is one of the things I enjoyed about this book and wish had been explored more, but the problem is that these arcs were introduced and then never resolved. I understand that you can’t resolve every single thread at the end of a story, but I feel if you are going to mention it repeatedly it needs to be resolved at the end of the book.

Overall, I would rate this book a 2 out of 4. It was okay, but due to the discontinuity, minimal world building, and lack of properly resolved storylines the book was difficult to get through and it was hard to enjoy it for just its story.

Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | Hassle-Free Sample

Like jmalone1994's review? Post a comment saying so!
I'm not a big fan of fiction books that involve different planets. And your review discouraged me from even giving this work a chance. :shifty:
Immaculate06
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-immaculate06.html
Latest Review: ByTheWay by Dennis Santos

Post by Immaculate06 »

The book is an Intriguing one that involves the intergalactic theme. I would love to read the book. Good review.
Nwadinso Okoro
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwadinso-okoro.html
Latest Review: The Toki-Girl and the Sparrow-Boy (series) by Claire Youmans

Post by Nwadinso Okoro »

From the review, the book has an intergalactic theme. Sybil is an interesting character who is from a different planet and she has come for the trade event. A lot of things unfold during the even, and I would love to know how the whole thing ended. Thanks for your review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with good potential that needs some more editing to fully develop it. I assume the lack of an ending is due to the story continuing in its sequel. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
D_Hub
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by D_Hub »

A honest review. The book sounds like one that would be worth reading but for the flaws mention by the reviewer.
Cara Wilding
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

As I was reading your book description, it sounded like something I would enjoy reading. However, it looks like the author failed to grasp some fundamental elements. The world-building aspect is challenging as many readers get bored with the many details - finding proper balance here is crucial! Thanks so much for your review!
Dalhatu Usu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dalhatu-usu.html
Latest Review: Why God Allows Evil and Suffering by Sine Nomine

Post by Dalhatu Usu »

Very honest review. I was just about to fall totally in love with the novel after reading the first paragraph of your review then came the 'buts'. It still seems to me like a very nice book. I'd love to see how it all played out.
Carlebastra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Carlebastra »

"Gravitas: Valkyrie in the Forbidden Zone by Lynne Murray is a captivating journey through the uncharted territories of identity, where self-discovery and resilience are the guiding stars. Murray's skillful storytelling weaves a tapestry of courage, acceptance, and the unwavering strength of the human spirit. Valkyrie's odyssey transcends the boundaries of genre, reminding us that within our own forbidden zones, we too can find the gravitas to rise, embracing our unique selves with authenticity and grace. A literary gem that leaves an indelible mark, resonating long after the final page is turned.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”