Review of Within the Crystal Mountain

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tara D Morgan
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: The colour purple
Currently Reading: Angel of Liverpool
Bookshelf Size: 202
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tara-d-morgan.html
Latest Review: Good Evening, Sir George by Donald Yule
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review of Within the Crystal Mountain

Post by Tara D Morgan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Within the Crystal Mountain" by J. L. Putney.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One day Dimplin is hoeing vegetables in the fields when he sees a strange phenomenon. A glass-like dome has covered the village of Arinton, and no one can get out, and Dimplin cannot get in. At his wit's end, he decides to head off and find help. Dimplin walks for two weeks before coming across a stream by the village of Wiston. Here he finds Elisse, an Agan, one of the tall people. Elisse takes Dimplin back to her cottage to rest and have some food. When Elisse's twin sister Lenore returns from the market, Dimplin tells her about his people, the Genish (who never grow over four feet tall) and what has befallen them.

The girls wish their soldier friend Drance were not away fighting in the war between the Agan and the Forsene people. Surely he would know what to do. Who forces Dimplin's nine-year-old son Tupin to squeeze into the Crystal Mountain to get the magic crystals? Moreover, what are their plans to wreak havoc with these gems? What words of wisdom does the old soothsayer Grendfar pass onto the Genish people from their God Evershone? Furthermore, what is the significance of the number 1665? Read the enchanting book Within the Crystal Mountain by J. L. Putney to discover the answers to these questions and more.

I admire how J. L. Putney has written a complicated storyline with many off-shoot stories, which Putney gradually gathers together for the finale. There are many interesting characters in this story. We have little people who are always happy and positive and believe that their God Evershone will always look after them if they are kind and caring. The soldiers Drance and Trestun are on opposing sides but have to work together for the good of the Genish people. There is the corrupt wizard Sagins, and then there are the beautiful twin sisters Lenore and Elisse. With a large cast of supporting characters, this book continually entertains and excites the reader while taking them on journeys filled with magic and mystery.

I appreciated the map at the front of the book, which makes it much easier to visualize where all the different communities live and where they are in relationship to the Crystal Mountain. Although it was difficult to keep going back to the map when reading the Kindle version of this book, I printed it out to have beside me as I read Within the Crystal Mountain. I loved the intriguing illustrations at the beginning of each chapter, which hints at what is to come. I enjoyed how the different groups of people united to fight evil. This book gives truth to the saying, 'Strangers are just good friends that you haven't met yet.'

The only thing I disliked about Within the Crystal Mountain was the number of grammatical errors. The book had not been adequately proofread or edited, and although the mistakes did not spoil the story, they detracted from it in places.

I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys an entertaining book that is absorbing from start to finish. In particular, anyone who loves fantasy, magic, mystery, myths, and legends. Within the Crystal Mountain by J. L. Putney would be particularly enjoyed by readers who love The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. Adults and confident readers from twelve would find this book exciting. There are no swearing or sexual scenes, so younger children would also enjoy having it read to them.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 5 stars. I am disappointed not to be able to provide the top rating as I thoroughly enjoyed this fantastic fantasy tale, but there are too many errors not to remove a star. Once these are corrected, I will happily give the full rating. I would love to read more books by J. L. Putney!

Within the Crystal Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Within the Crystal Mountain by J. L. Putney would be particularly enjoyed by readers who love The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien.
This is just what I was thinking while reading your review! I see some parallels here. The story sounds delightful and entertaining.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel in which Tolkien meets Stephen King thinking of King's novel Under The Dome. I hope the author does proper newsreading, as otherwise, I'd like to read it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This is not the genre I'm interested in but I enjoyed your detailed review. Anyway, the glass-like dome seen on the book cover looks interesting. What happens to the villagers afterward? Your review is awesome!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”