Review of Richard: Distant Son

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mercy Udeokeke
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercy-udeokeke.html
Latest Review: Mothers Vol. 1 by Ben Burgess Jr.

Review of Richard: Distant Son

Post by Mercy Udeokeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Richard: Distant Son" by Michael W Hickman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Richard is ushered into the Creator's world by AAL, the messenger sent to guide him. His great-grandfather has been murdered by his jealous brother, who is envious of the throne. To keep the throne of the Milky Way Galaxy from falling into the wrong hands, Richard has to journey to Krel, the home of the human race, to claim his throne after it has been left vacant for thousands of years. Richard falls in love with a species different from his; they make love, and the effects of making love to a fox have adverse consequences for him. Despite his young age, he acts maturely and takes on situations in the kingdom with a tremendous sense of obligation. His young life is threatened by his adversaries, and he barely escapes the first assassination by a hairsbreadth during one of the parties he attends. It is expected that he bears offspring that will take over the throne when he's gone, and getting intimate with Amber, who is a different species from the human race, might not answer that demand.

Readers will be enchanted while reading Richard: Distant Son by Michael W Hickman. The book is an intriguing tale that depicts the struggle for the throne between a naive boy and a powerful species. The book takes its readers through untold realms as we experience multiple astonishing occurrences and creatures. Richard, an Ohio boy, gets the opportunity to explore the Milky Way, and it is unknown to him that the galaxy will soon be under his ordinance and control. The book's use of several mythical creatures notifies its audience that Richard, a fifteen-year-old, will not only rule species of his kind but creatures from different realms.

Richard's ability to overcome his fears as quickly as they come is what I love about the book; he was able to catch up quickly with the idea that was presented of him being king before his plate. His approach toward the most feared creature, such as the centaur, was admirable; he was able to accommodate people of different kinds, and even though he found most of their routines and activities toward him despicable, he still tolerated them and was curious to learn their method of handling trends.

Richard was a fifteen-year-old boy who was subjected to various sexual acts that I did not think were appropriate for his age. It was acknowledged that he needed to bear progeny to retain the monarchy in his bloodline, but he was left to make unwise decisions for himself, such as mating with Amber, a fox who nearly cost him his sanity. AAL had already committed to nurturing him into the man he was destined to be, and when he reached the age of sixteen, he would take over as the Milky Way's new monarch. Although it was discovered that AAL had transitioned him beforehand into a fully grown man, that didn't alleviate the problem of a young adolescent left to wander in sexual pleasures. 

The book is exceptionally well-edited. I discovered no errors in it. I award the book a perfect rating of five out of five stars because the author did a great job with the character development and bringing this book to life. I recommend this book to lovers of science fiction.

Richard: Distant Son
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Elina Tshabalala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elina-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Elina Tshabalala »

I hope Richard succeeds in his journey. He must succeed in order for the throne to return to its rightful owners. Thanks for the review!
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

Your review is quite great. Looking forward to reading this incredible book.
Ogidor Chinasa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ogidor-chinasa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Ogidor Chinasa »

This story is quite strange but interesting too. From the age of 15 to 16 year's Richard can rule his kingdom. I look forward to reading this book.
Ekaete Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekaete-bruno.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick

Post by Ekaete Bruno »

Richard seems like quite the intriguing character. He seems resolute and smart. This story was a little better with the way he was expressed.
Jerry Anozie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jerry-anozie.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Jerry Anozie »

What a deep read. Richard is the character that I find interesting his mission is paramount to the throne can't wait to read.
Oluchi Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchi-samuel.html
Latest Review: Original Wisdom by Donna Bond

Post by Oluchi Samuel »

This book has an odd storyline. Ruling a whole Galaxy seems like a huge responsibility for just a child. I hope he was able to rule them well. Thanks for the review.
Favour Alade Boluwatife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riam333.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Favour Alade Boluwatife »

I really feel sorry for Richard but I like the fact that he was able to confound his anxieties. I love fiction novels and I'm honestly eager to read this on
Temi Book
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-temi-book.html
Latest Review: Black Wing Sky by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Temi Book »

This is an interesting review. I’m curious to know how Richard will overcome his enemies and take control of the galaxy. Your review is well written.
JkReviewer17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-najibullah-qanit.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by JkReviewer17 »

The Book seems intresting, i like the competition and the things you described. Nice Review!
Uche Active
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-active.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Uche Active »

This book has a cover page that looks more serious that the book's content. The summary sounds like a fairytale, although, it is interesting. I am looking forward to reading this book.
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

I have read a book of a similar genre though they come bulky and might be boring sometimes their ending is usually endearing. I look forward to reading more about Richard, his love life, and how he got his throne. Well done!!!
Stephen Grace Wonders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-grace-wonders.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Stephen Grace Wonders »

Wow, what I don't understand is how human beings can see a fox and become sexually attracted to the fox. Was the fox presented in form of a woman to deceive him or what? I'll love to read this book to find answers to my question.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

Initially, I thoght this was a novel for teenagers but the sexual element makes it more suited for grown-ups who can also appreciate the contrast between a boy and a powerful species. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
okotie esther
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okotie-esther.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by okotie esther »

I agree that this book is a science fiction novel, but the trauma and abuse Richard must have experienced at such a young age, is demeaning and cruel. No one should ever have to go through such. Your review is this book is apt. Nice job. I'll add it up to my shelf.
Thank you.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”