Review of Princess Rouran and the Dragon Chariot of Ten Thousand Sages

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Review of Princess Rouran and the Dragon Chariot of Ten Thousand Sages

Post by Josephe-Anne »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Princess Rouran and the Dragon Chariot of Ten Thousand Sages" by Shawe Ruckus.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Since the COVID-19 pandemic started, many authors have put pen to paper to describe their observations. Princess Rouran and the Dragon Chariot of Ten Thousand Sages by Shawe Ruckus is a science fiction/fantasy book that is set during current times. It is the first installment of the Princess Rouran series. The story follows the adventures of Moli, a young girl of Asian descent. Moli’s father has just died from the virus, and even as she mourns, she is thrust into other realms. She travels through time to ancient Mongolia and meets the nine sons of the dragon from Chinese legends, but things go awry when the course of history is changed. The dragons tell her that what seems like magic can be explained by science. As the situation becomes dire, Moli realizes that she is destined to save the world from a familiar foe.

This book has different cover designs, but the copy I read has a crimson background with an illustration of a golden dragon at the center. The title is printed in an ornate white font that resembles calligraphy. This book is separated into fifteen chapters. There are also some informative notes and references at the end. The themes of this novel include fantasy, science fiction, time travel, Chinese folklore, COVID-19 effects and procedures, racism, history, philosophy, and archaeology. Borderline profanity is used in the text, and there is some gory violence.

There are many diverse characters in this story. Moli is a very creative, intelligent, and independent girl, but like all of us, she gets scared sometimes. Yet, she finds the courage she needs when others are counting on her. Edith is Moli’s aunt, her father’s younger sister. Edith wants to be a protective aunt, and she often worries that she isn’t good enough. She and Moli draw closer to each other as the story progresses and they share memories. Without giving away too much, an infamous European tyrant reprises his role as a villain in this tale. Other human characters are introduced near the end of the book. I’m sure they will return as the series continues. Qiuniu is the eldest son of the dragon. Calm and wise, he is the patron of musicians. He is my favorite character in the book.

There are so many fascinating topics packed into this book. Because this story is set during the COVID-19 pandemic, it is relevant and relatable. The author expertly utilizes the literary device of foreshadowing. Moli learns about dragons and the Rouran Dynasty before she meets Qiuniu and travels back in time. I like the fact that there are so many references to Chinese folklore, culture, and history. I also appreciated the author’s explanation that the main character’s name is pronounced as “mo-lee.” It is also commendable that the story draws attention to difficult societal problems, such as racism and xenophobia. The author points out that Chinese people were blamed for the Coronavirus outbreak, and even children had to deal with the prejudice. Additionally, one little detail stood out to me. Moli would sometimes send text messages to her deceased father’s cell phone number. This was so sweet and heart-wrenching at the same time. Furthermore, the editing was impeccable; I did not find a single error in the text.

However, I found it strange and somewhat disrespectful that Moli refers to her mother and father by their first names, especially since she calls her aunt “Aunt Edith.” Also, I’m unsure what the target audience is for this publication. Moli is a child, so I would assume that this could be categorized as a children’s book or young adult fiction. Yet, there are many advanced and unusual vocabulary words in the text. I doubt many children would know what “pelisse,” “knave,” or “moribund” mean, and they would probably become annoyed at having to look up these words in a dictionary. Furthermore, there are violent scenes, and many moral dilemmas are presented in this novel. I think topics such as deciding who deserves to live and who should die are too complicated for children to comprehend and answer.

Nevertheless, Princess Rouran and the Dragon Chariot of Ten Thousand Sages by Shawe Ruckus deserves a rating of five out of five stars. This is an intriguing and action-packed novel. I was entertained as much as I was compelled to think about the faults, failures, and triumphs of humanity. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys science fiction and fantasy literature. Philosophical thinkers and history buffs will also enjoy this wonderful book. The cliffhanger ending makes me curious to find out what will happen to Moli and her companions in the next installment of the series.

Princess Rouran and the Dragon Chariot of Ten Thousand Sages
View: on Bookshelves
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I can see why you initially thought this is a book for kids or at least young adults and I'm glad that there are contents suitable for older readers. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

NetMassimo wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 15:09 I can see why you initially thought this is a book for kids or at least young adults and I'm glad that there are contents suitable for older readers. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Hi, NetMassimo. Thank you for reading my review. I know you are a science fiction aficionado, so I appreciate your feedback. 😊
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

This fantasy novel is littered with some Chinese words so I agree that it was complex to read for children. The seven dragon's interaction with Moli is an interesting aspect of this book. Your review is detailed and wonderful!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”