Review of Lazarus Rising

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Obinna Chima Agoms
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bibliophile-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Why Rock The Boat When You Don't Know How To Swim? by Daniel Sebata

Review of Lazarus Rising

Post by Obinna Chima Agoms »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lazarus Rising" by Sharon Kay Grosh.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lazarus Rising by Sharon Kay Grosh is a dystopian fantasy about the lives of Luming, Jane, Dan, Micheal, and Lois.

What would you do if you had the opportunity to know when the world would end? Jane answered this question: everything she had planned to do. When Luming was drawn into the idea that the world was ending, it started as a joke and morphed into reality. As a result, he was pulled into Chris' world and the secret seed growers' community. Lois only wanted to get her brother and survive through it. Dan's day started as a vacation and became an escape. Micheal only wanted to get his wife by any means possible. The lives of these five would be entwined and changed in tremendous ways. Everything referred back to one word: "Lazarus," Jane's project. Bringing her project to life could be what the world needs. But how would it take effect amid the chaos?

Lazarus Rising is one book that hints at what is to come subtly. I love how the author hints at what to expect, from the title to the chapters at the beginning of the book. While the hints are right there, ignoring them is easy until the incident happens and the buildup of excitement begins.

This book also touches on survivors' guilt and the after-effects of ignoring your moral compass for your safety. Reading how the characters struggle with issues while trying to get through each day is enjoyable. These are relatable and provide food for thought for readers.

I liked how Michael's character arc changed. While his behavior at the beginning was annoying and full of pride, his transformation was an excellent and shocking turn of events that I wasn't expecting. Readers would enjoy it. Another character I thoroughly enjoyed reading about was Jane. Her obsession and the lengths she was willing to go to for what she wanted were both fantastic and a little extreme. However, she showcased everything needed to survive in the new version of the world. Readers would also enjoy this character.

Even though this book didn't bring in the edge-of-the-seat tension, it sparked my curiosity and kept it burning through the plot twists and shocking endings. The romance was lovely and provided a soft landing for the chaos in the narrative. There was nothing to dislike, and the book was professionally edited. Therefore, I'd rate it 5 out of 5 stars. I'd recommend it to lovers of dystopian fantasy and a good story about the end of the world.

Lazarus Rising
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”