Review of One Last Summer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alexander C Schmoock
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexander-c-schmoock.html
Latest Review: Survived, evolved against all the odds by Ruth Mantile

Review of One Last Summer

Post by Alexander C Schmoock »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Last Summer" by Craig Christophel.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

One Last Summer by Craig Christophel details a summer season around the life of Raif. One summer, while Raif was on his way to Chicago, he faced a series of events that started with his car breaking down in Michigan, leading him into a town where he stopped a robbery. While in the town, He met Maize Lynn, and they struck off a good connection and enjoyed each other’s company. They would hang out with Maize’s friends, party, and have lengthy and deep philosophical conversations. Raif had always been one to have vivid dreams, but his dreams got more baffling as he got closer to Fay, a girl he met and liked at a club in Chicago.

In a dream, He met Abby, and she told him about the gifted dreamers, astral projection, and how he was to be part of the keepers of the dream world. She also spoke about the emotions of the world. Raif found out that Fay was also a part of this group of dreamers, and she helped him understand more about it all, including the unique role he had to play. Find out more about Raif's life and role in the dream world.

What I love most about this book, especially the protagonist, Raif, is how similar we are in terms of personal convictions. While reading this story, I often found myself agreeing with a lot of the things Raif believed in, such as his opinion on having an emotional connection before being intimate, amongst many other viewpoints. I really enjoyed reading this book mainly because of the conversations between the characters. I love such excellent and engaging dialogues on a wide variety of topics. It helps you appreciate different perspectives on different subjects. It was equally interesting to read about how things worked in the dream world.

In as much as the conversations were interesting to read, they were often too lengthy. The dialogue just went on and on and was tiring at different points, especially with Raif and Abby. With Raif, it felt as though the author just made him talk about his philosophies so much, even in locations where those types of conversations wouldn’t usually happen.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. It has a lot of grammatical errors and misspellings in it. I don't believe it is professionally edited. That, added to the unnecessarily lengthy conversations I already pointed out in the previous paragraph, is the reason for my rating. 

I recommend this book to anyone who has a special interest in understanding what goes on in the dream world. Lovers of science fiction and fantasy novels will enjoy this book.

One Last Summer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Uncharted Desires by Jillian Sharp
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Laney K »

This book isn't my cup of tea, but thanks for the insight review!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

The dreamworld can be an intriguing setting for a part of a story, so I'm curious about this novel. I can do with dialogue but many errors can be distructing, so I hope the author does at least proper proofreading. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I feel like the book cover is not well-fitting the story, as it contains a dream world. The dream was the main intriguing one. Your review is great!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

I would like to know more about dreams in the books perspective to see how I would interpret some of mine. Besides informative, the book sound enjoyable. Despite the rating, I'm sure you enjoyed it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”