Review of Capturing The Butterfly

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Currently Reading: Forged in Death
Bookshelf Size: 476
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hubre-de-klerk.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B075XP6ZZ4
fav_author_id: 3720

Review of Capturing The Butterfly

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Capturing The Butterfly" by Sharon Kay Grosh.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Winter is a savage event, especially if you add in an unyielding snowstorm. This was where everything started—or so I thought. Hibernation is a dreamlike state for a bear, with his body fat keeping him warm, his heart rate low to keep the metabolism low, and the cave keeping him safe. He was awoken three times during his hibernation by sounds in his cave, and on the third time, he saw a small human sitting inside the cave's entrance. She wasn't afraid of the bear. She gave him tea and told him she would call him Pink, as he had quite peculiar-colored fur. Unlike any other bear, and although he was taught to avoid humans, this one didn’t pose a threat. He wondered if she would be able to help him find his mother. She taught him about words and saying them out loud. They used a translator to understand each other.

As the girl and the bear learned to communicate, the first twist in this story opened up. And what a twist it is! Nothing is really as it seems, and you would have to read this book to find out what is going on. Both are on a search expedition for something very dear to their hearts, but where to start searching is the big question in this book. Would they find what they were looking for? Why did the girl's and the bear’s paths cross? Later, they found a man outside the cave and brought him inside. His name was Claudius. This started the second twist in this book and caused ripples to start spiraling. Here we learn about the butterfly effect and why these three ended up together. What I will say about this book is that if a decision you made may have led to the deaths of millions of people and you had a chance to change it, would you take it?

This book was mesmerizing with its multiple stories within each story. To understand them all, you have to keep reading to connect the dots. I was blown away at how these stories opened up and what they led to in the end. I want to talk about that part, but then I would give away the whole story. So, let’s rather jump to our characters. The characters’ development was amazing, and the author did a fantastic job with her descriptions in this book. There was no doubt about which character was which; each had a different voice, and I absolutely loved their internal struggles as they added extra depth to each. Pink, the pink bear, struggled with what he was taught about humans and how he was supposed to react to them. But this girl brought out a calmness in him that he couldn’t understand. Mina was a Japanese girl, and through her journey, we learn a few Japanese words, which are very interesting and bring out her own heritage.

There was nothing I disliked about this book, although it started out a bit confusing. The author even addressed that at the start of the book, which gave her writing a social aspect and made you feel like this story was being told to you personally. I did find eleven errors in this book, which were three minor errors and the rest of a name that was spelled incorrectly a few times. Due to the incorrect spelling of the character's name, I am subtracting one star; otherwise, I would have given this book a perfect rating. This book really bowled me over at where it ended, and I believe everyone will be shocked and also amazed by where it leads to. I would rate Capturing the Butterfly by Sharon Kay Grosh 4 out of 5 stars. I loved how this book made me think about what our purpose is. Why are we here?

This book showed me how important companionship is and how not to make decisions when you are afraid. Regret always comes too late, and you never really know how your decisions will affect others down the line. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy unraveling mysteries and if you enjoy reading about the butterfly effect. I would say that this book is more for mature adults. There aren’t any profanity or sexual scenes in this book, but I don’t think this book would be understood by younger readers, especially as you have to go through all of its layers to get to the actual reason for it. Think about an onion and its layers. Revealing each layer is a journey, though, and this book didn’t disappoint me at all.

Capturing The Butterfly
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Maria Abdullah
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maria Abdullah »

I really liked this book, and I liked how why do we exist? How is any stupid step there are consequences for it, and also its content is very wonderful, and the questions in half of the book were beautiful, and I think that I will think about these questions and answer myself, and I give this book 4 out of 5 stars. The reason why I did not give it 5 is that I did not understand the idea quickly.
Gourav Sharma 4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Gourav Sharma 4 »

👍👍👍👍👍 nice
Chinedum Chijioke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Neither Safe Nor Effective (2nd Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinedum-chijioke.html
Latest Review: Bones In The Alley by Viterose E Van Huis

Post by Chinedum Chijioke »

Indeed as humans we need to have humans around us for companionship and as well think twice about any decision we want to make.
Hazel Mae Bagarinao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hazel-mae-bagarinao.html
Latest Review: The Sound of Creation by Gabriella Zielke

Post by Hazel Mae Bagarinao »

I like the title of the book as well as how the book bring you to realization. The book sends what's our purpose is and why we're here, lead my eagerness to read it. Your review, Hubre, is perfect!
"Less is more." ~ Ludwig Mies Van Der Rohe
holywriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holywriter.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by holywriter »

I must say that this book has a lot of lessons to learn. Having a man-to-man form of communication is not new. However, having an animal to man is what still took me in awe. It is a must read book for me. good reviews.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This book sounds a little hard to understand. I get the need for communication, but it is hard to know where it should come from. I’m glad that they all had each other.
Mutango Samakayi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutango-samakayi.html
Latest Review: De facto Pathfinder by CW3 Cesare Giannetti, US Army (Ret)

Post by Mutango Samakayi »

Communication is the most important thing in human relationships and I think this book just shows us the extent of its importance. How else would a bear and a human get along if they did not find a way to communicate with one another?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

The theme of companionship is among the ones developed in this multilayered story that includes various twists. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Yes, I would take the chance to make a better decision if the one i made resulted to genocide; without question. I absolutely love the review, and the book even more now. Thank you.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: To Turn a Million by Keith L. Robinson

Post by Rob Carr »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like a book that I would enjoy. The butterfly effect is such an interesting phenomenon. It is a shame about the typos, hopefully they fix those in an updated version.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Hazel Mae Bagarinao wrote: 12 Apr 2023, 21:53 I like the title of the book as well as how the book bring you to realization. The book sends what's our purpose is and why we're here, lead my eagerness to read it. Your review, Hubre, is perfect!
Thank you!
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

holywriter wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 07:06 I must say that this book has a lot of lessons to learn. Having a man-to-man form of communication is not new. However, having an animal to man is what still took me in awe. It is a must read book for me. good reviews.
Thank you! It was definitely a different book with an interesting twist.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

Amy Luman wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 09:10 This book sounds a little hard to understand. I get the need for communication, but it is hard to know where it should come from. I’m glad that they all had each other.
Thank you! There was a confusing time or two, but you always know who is talking.
Hubre De Klerk
In It Together VIP

Post by Hubre De Klerk »

NetMassimo wrote: 15 Apr 2023, 13:06 The theme of companionship is among the ones developed in this multilayered story that includes various twists. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”