Review of Richard: An Unlikey Love Story

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samuel Songs
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-songs.html
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak

Review of Richard: An Unlikey Love Story

Post by Samuel Songs »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Richard: An Unlikey Love Story" by Michael W Hickman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Richard: An Unlikely Love Story by Michael W. Hickman starts with Richard and AAL's sudden appearance at Henry's privy chamber in the Atlantic Ocean. Richard, a fifteen-year-old boy from Ohio, was destined to be the next heir to a spanning galaxy kingdom. He was always assured of his future role whenever he visited the moon to gain more superpowers to equip him for his position as the next in line to be crowned. AAL was the artificial lifeform that always helped him whenever he went to visit his chamber. Upon their appearance, he felt so much pain and burning sensations in his butt, which made him uncomfortable. AAL reassured him that he would soon adjust to it and be fine, even though he assumed that would always be the case whenever he teleported.

Funny enough, Richard's privy chamber could freeze and pin anyone who got in without his prior permission. Hence, he did not need to worry about who entered his chamber while he was away or on Earth. However, he always missed Amber, a partner he loved and admired so dearly, whenever he left, and he wished he could talk to her at the slightest touch. Amber was like a fox, and she was from another planet. How did the two lovebirds cope with their love lives with all that was happening to Richard? Was Richard able to finally get used to his power and position? Grab a copy of Richard: An Unlikely Love Story by Michael W. Hickman, the second volume in the Richard series, to find out.

This book is extremely interesting! I enjoyed the roles of all the characters, but mostly those of Richard and the artificial life form named AAL. AAL truly helped the young boy, both in answering the most confusing questions he had and in helping him evolve most times into the races he was meant to be. AAL ensured everything was kept in place while he was away from Earth. For instance, when Richard was worried about missing the speech he was to make in the Senate, AAL assured him there was no reason to worry as he equipped the intelligent Henry to step in for him and act like him to avoid being recognized as the wrong person. How this book's characters developed and evolved interested me as they made the storylines more thrilling.

I also enjoyed the intimacy and friendship between Richard and his lover, Amber. They truly cared for and loved themselves. The effort of AAL and others to see that Richard was always rescued thrilled me. The only character I had an issue with was Senator Spartacus, who was intentionally against Richard and his throne, but hey, the antagonist makes the protagonist spectacular! Even though this book is the second in the series, it can be read as a standalone.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars for being exceptionally well-edited, with no trace of a grammatical blunder. I must appreciate the author for an incredible job well done in writing a well-engaging story with well-developed characters. The plot was well thought out, and the author's writing style made it easy to imagine the story. Honestly, this is the kind of science fiction that should be adapted into a movie. There was absolutely nothing I disliked about the book. I recommend this book to adult readers who enjoy mystical stories and thrilling stories of space travel with well-developed characters. I do not recommend it to younger readers because it contains a lot of profane words and light sexual content.

Richard: An Unlikey Love Story
View: on Bookshelves
Latest Review: Caldera by Edy Kubiak
rmwnix
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by rmwnix »

I can express my personal opinion about this book as an individual. However, based on the available reviews of 'Richard: An Unlikely Love Story', I can say that it is an engaging and passionate love story that brings up issues such as racial, social and cultural challenges, as well as obstacles that arise in romantic relationships.

However, since readers' tastes in books differ, it is advisable to read various reviews and opinions before purchasing a book and decide whether or not it is suitable for you according to your interests and preferences.
Ama Ra Chi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ama-ra-chi.html
Latest Review: Mama I Owe You Nothing by Simmer Breeze

Post by Ama Ra Chi »

Your review is amazing and captivating.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am thrilled to read your review, but, honestly, I am a little confused. Richard is only 15, correct? I’m also wondering why his teleportation chamber is the bathroom. Amber does appear to be supportive, as Richard misses her.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

I do enjoy reading a love story with well-developed characters. This is a thrilling book that has a lot of interesting elements that one would love to try out.
holywriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holywriter.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by holywriter »

"Thank you for such an insightful review! Your detailed analysis of the book's themes and characters has piqued my interest, and I'm eager to get my hands on a copy and dive into the story myself."
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

I a book with well developed characters and a captivating story. At 15 years old, anyone would wish for any super power that can give you an edge as a teen. Nice review
Shazyclaire Mark
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shazyclaire-mark.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Shazyclaire Mark »

The fact that Richard has a privy chamber that can freeze and pin anyone is a unique concept. The love story between Richard and Amber is intriguing and adds an emotional depth to the narrative. The review makes the book sound like a well-thought-out science fiction story.
Sly Thompson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sly-thompson.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sly Thompson »

The author's ability to create well-developed characters is a testament to his writing skills. The fact that this book can be read as a standalone is a plus for readers who haven't read the first book in the series.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm glad that this novel is suitable for grown-up readers despite the protagonist's young age, as the first book of this series already seemed engagin and this sequel has some intriguing plot elements as well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Daniel Moore 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniel-moore-4.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Daniel Moore 4 »

I appreciate the reviewer's honesty in pointing out that the book contains profane language and light sexual content. The reviewer's rating of 5 out of 5 stars is a strong recommendation for the book.
Baba Thoust
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-baba-thoust.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Baba Thoust »

Baba Thoust wrote: 17 Apr 2023, 09:27 I love a book with well developed characters and a captivating story. At 15 years old, anyone would wish for any super power that can give you an edge as a teen. Nice review
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: Penticore Prime by M.D. Chevalier

Post by Salome Ogani »

The book's thrilling story of space travel is an interesting premise that is sure to capture readers' attention. The author's writing style, according to the reviewer, makes it easy to imagine the story and become immersed in the world of Richard.
Fabbie Woods
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabbie-woods.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fabbie Woods »

Great review. Your narration emphasizes how the author's writing style made it easy to imagine the story.
Words seduce and pages ignite passion. Let's get lost in the tantalizing world of literature together.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”