Review of Darklight I

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emeka Emordi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emeka-emordi.html
Latest Review: God is Willing by Charlene Murray

Review of Darklight I

Post by Emeka Emordi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Darklight I" by John Wells.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever thought of introducing a new concept that you felt would be regarded as or tagged as too risky but were discouraged not to? Isaac Tyson also known as Crash is in the same shoes as you were, except that he possesses a dauntless confidence and determination to see his project through. What is this project Crash is hell-bent on carrying out? Will he be able to achieve his goal? Read Darklight I: The Substance of Shadows by John Wells to go into the world of Isaac Tyson and science fiction.

The enigmatic character of Isaac "Crash" Tyson is the first and most basic quality of this book, which I really loved. Starting with his nickname, Crash, which denotes his character, Crash is not one to back down easily. He got his nickname "Crash" from the fact that he did anything he wanted to do immediately, not minding any restrictions. This was how he battled PLAG unrelentingly.

Secondly, I loved reading about scientific concepts and Crash's unconventional ideas and inventions. At some points, I even got scared and was expecting the worst after the incident with the explosion. My heart skipped several times, and I could not help but marvel at Crash's ingenuity.

Another thing that kept me on my toes, which I loved, was the rivalry between Crash and PLAG, specifically P-Quan. I got annoyed observing that P-Quan's opposition to Crash's idea did not come from thinking about a general good but rather from selfish interests. He had to take drastic measures, even to the extent of killing people. The character of P-Quan entails selfishness, greed, and power hunger. He is a typical example of someone who can go the extra mile to get what they want, regardless of who gets hurt.

Lynn and Crash developed a romantic relationship in the midst of chaos. It was great to see the bond they shared and that someone shared the same dogged faith as Crash. He found such a partner in Lynn.

I did not like the fact that the story was somewhat lengthy. At one point, I almost lost track of the events going on in the plot. I also almost missed out on important information. I would not deny the fact that I almost got bored and had to discipline myself to keep reading.

Darklight I: The Substance of Shadows by John Wells is exceptionally edited and free of errors. I, thereby, rate it five out of five stars because of this and other reasons I mentioned earlier.

Lovers of science fiction novels will find this book a great delight to read. It contains all that a good science fiction novel has to offer to be called sci-fi. I recommend that they read it.

Darklight I
View: on Bookshelves
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your insightful and detailed review of the book. It's great to hear that you loved the enigmatic character of Isaac "Crash" Tyson and his dauntless willingness to pursue his unconventional ideas. Your description of the scientific concepts and Crash's inventions had me on the edge of my seat, and I can't wait to experience the same feeling! I appreciate your honesty about the length of the book, but I'm glad that it was well-edited and free from errors. Your rating of five out of five stars certainly caught my attention and your recommendation to lovers of science fiction has me convinced that this will be a great read. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on the book!
Sakwe Jude
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Sakwe Jude »

[amazon=][/amazon] :o :techie-studyingbrown: :o :shock2: :P
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Despite the novel's length and the fact that it's clerly just the first book of a series, I'm curious about Crash's ideas and project, so I want to know if he's successful. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Blessing Chi Peculiar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-chi-peculiar.html
Latest Review: Maria Tunicka Conductor by James Aiello

Post by Blessing Chi Peculiar »

Great job on the review! You did an excellent job of capturing the essence of Isaac "Crash" Tyson and how his enigmatic character was the driving force of the book. Your descriptions of his nickname and his unrelenting attitude towards PLAG were spot on.
Chris Rich Nwaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chris-rich-nwaka.html
Latest Review: Across the Divide by Elizabeth Bernays

Post by Chris Rich Nwaka »

Your passion for the scientific concepts and Crash's inventions was evident in your writing. I appreciated how you described the suspense and fear you felt during the explosion incident. Your admiration for Crash's ingenuity was also clear, making me more interested in reading about his unconventional ideas.
Flourish Sunday
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flourish-sunday.html
Latest Review: 9 Rules to Dominate Your Money and Learn What 67% of Adults Don’t Know by Finley Lewis

Post by Flourish Sunday »

Your critique of P-Quan's character was insightful, and I appreciated how you highlighted his negative qualities of greed and selfishness. Your analysis of his opposition to Crash's ideas made me empathize more with Crash and dislike P-Quan even more.
Christabel Ify Benson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-ify-benson.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Christabel Ify Benson »

Your honest opinion about the length of the book was appreciated. It showed that you were invested in the story and wanted to absorb all the information, but it was also a challenge to keep up with. I respect that you gave an honest opinion, even though you still rated the book five stars. Your recommendation for science fiction lovers to read it made me more interested in checking out the book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”