Review of The Witch's Garden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Reflections by Dan Babcock

Review of The Witch's Garden

Post by Eunice Geres »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witch's Garden" by William Lyon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Imagine that there’s a certain kind of virus that would give you a companion inside your head when you’re infected. It sounds like a mental illness, but instead of breaking your mind down, it actually makes you healthier, wiser, and happier. This companion is called a symbiont. And this novel follows the story of Professor Richard and how he acquired his symbiont.

A symbiont lives in the mind of the person infected with the virus. It takes the form of a human’s opposite sex. And in the case of Richard, his symbiont, named Carole, takes the form of his high school crush, named Carol. Carole is an intelligent entity that brings fun and happiness to Richard’s life and, dare I say, his sexual life. When Richard first met her in his dream, she was a naked, wild woman who seduced him. And after they got to know each other, Carole became his wing woman to get in contact with the mysterious Lady Carol.

But having a symbiont doesn’t just make life interesting in a sexy kind of way. Symbionts also have an agenda. They aim to spread the virus to make the human race more humane. Would they become victorious with their goal, or would other people put a stop to their plans? Read this book to find out more.

The Witch's Garden by William Lyon is both erotica and science fiction. I usually enjoy science fiction, but biology really tends to be boring, in my opinion. However, this book elevated the fascinating, and sometimes a bit boring, science discussions with the hotness of erotic situations.

What I liked the most about this book was the characters’ voices. The whole biology and psychology discussion is a bit boring, as it was a bit extensive and very deep. But it helped that the characters are written magnificently. I was able to differentiate the voices of the characters in my head. I can say that the author is a great author because he managed to write characters that seemed realistic and had different characteristics from one another. I also liked that even though the plot is completely fiction, the author made it seem believable and probable. The sequence of events makes sense, and the characters’ thought processes are believable. This is a quality in science fiction that I always look for.

The only thing I disliked about this book is that the plot is mostly just a discussion of the biological and psychological aspects of symbionts. It felt more like a literal transcript of a therapy session than a novel. I found it a bit dull, and I just find myself not enjoying it. However, as the book progressed and the symbionts became more established in the novel, it got less and less boring and more interesting as the chapters went on.

With that said, I would rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed reading this novel, as it got me hooked on the topic of symbionts. The whole plot is a fascinating idea that can capture the interest of many adult readers. The author’s characterization skills are also commendable. I didn't give this book a perfect rating because there are many boring parts that I think could be made more interesting. Furthermore, the novel was professionally edited, as I only noticed a few grammatical mistakes.

I would recommend this to adults who are interested in erotica and science fiction. I think they would enjoy the thought of having an entity in their brain that continuously provides additional intellect and pleasurable experiences. I would not recommend this to people of religious beliefs if erotica goes against their personal beliefs.

The Witch's Garden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful review I appreciate your honest opinions about the book and I completely agree with you about the complex biological and psychological discussions in the book. This book impressed me, not only with its originality but also with its realistic and believable characters. Even with the dull parts, the writer still managed to pique my interest with the topic of symbionts, and I admire the author's ability to balance science fiction with erotica. The book's professional editing is also worth mentioning, as it demonstrates the author's dedication to his work. I recommend this novel to anyone interested in science fiction and erotica. Your review encouraged me to read the book myself, and I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the future.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

The idea of a virus living as a symbiont instead of a parasite, at least apparently, is intriguing. I'm curious to discoger the virus agenda and I don't mind scientific discussions if they're intellectually stimulating. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”