Review of I, Warden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Review of I, Warden

Post by Medina Fedrick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "I, Warden" by Charles Brass.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After the Pheelm chaos, Maels was the only surviving Raptori. He was rescued by Dell, Earth Cell's cellmaster, who treated him like his son. Maels had yearned to become a warden and had been in training for six years with the hope of becoming one someday. He felt ready, but Dell didn't think so; even Ehr Rhee, his trainer, thought he was ready. And Maels was confused as to why Dell denied him the right to become a warden. Is Maels ready? Will he become a true Warden? Why did Dell hold back on Maels's earnest desire? The sudden attack of the Kerrid on Earth Cell was about to change everything. The Kerrid, who was laden with the powers of a witchen and warden and had strong ux influences, attacked Earth Cell, killing Tatray, a witchen, and incapacitating Ehr Rhee. Will Maels be able to protect the Earth Cell as expected of a true Warden? Who was collaborating with the intruder? Read this book to find out.

The plot was fast-paced with a lot of action. I, WARDEN: The Last Raptori, Book One by Charles Brass is a science-fiction novel divided into six parts, each a continuation of the previous. Maels was my favorite character in this book; his act of valor when faced with difficulties was admirable, and Maels wasn't human, but he was kind and compassionate. Although the descriptions brought the characters to life, they were confusing at times and made it hard to discern who was talking during a dialog.

The author used some alien terms, whose meanings I had to assume from their continuous and contextual use in this book. I would have appreciated a glossary of all these terms at the beginning of the book for a proper understanding of these terms and their intended meanings. Also, I did not like the terrifying narrations of inhumane acts conducted by the Qrills; they were horrible.

Apart from the above-mentioned flaws, I found nothing to dislike about this book. I rate this book four out of five stars because of the aforementioned flaws. Furthermore, I spotted up to six errors, which indicates that the book was professionally edited.

I recommend I, WARDEN: The Last Raptori, Book One by Charles Brass to fans of sci-fi, fantasy, and action thrillers. Also, the book contained narrations of gory scenes and some inhumane acts, and those who find this disturbing shouldn't read this book, in my opinion.

I, Warden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Being a parent, I can understand Dell’s reluctance. One of the hardest thing in life is to accept that your children are ready to move on. It’s even more difficult to do so cheerfully. Maels may not have been human, or Dell’s “real” child, but dos that matter?
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

This one should be a treat to sci-fi lovers. I have also faced the issue of alienated terms in most of the sci-fi books. Hope the reviewers suggestion is taking into account.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Post by Rob Carr »

Sounds like it is an interesting read despite the bits with the Qrills. Hopefully they fix some of the typos you found and add a glossary in an updated version.
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read horror stories, so I'm used to gory and disturbing parts and I'm curious to see if Maels can protect the Earth from enemies and traitors. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”