Review of Star Sick

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Medina Fedrick
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medina-fedrick.html
Latest Review: Across the Kentucky Color Line by Lee Durham Stone

Review of Star Sick

Post by Medina Fedrick »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Star Sick" by Amy Marie Ayres.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

What would you do in a technologically advanced society if authorities you had never seen were in charge of your life? A society where being solitary and introverted is despised? Some people, specifically extroverts, wouldn't have a problem with this. In 2084, these individuals would even prosper on Earth, according to this book. I've read a lot of books and watched a lot of movies that show a world where robots (AIs) rule the globe, but I could never see myself living in such a society.

Luccee spent much of her time alone, and her brother Trevers was always nagging her to get out and socialize to stay up and accumulate points so she wouldn't be evicted. The four pillars of the world were extroverts, livewires, socializers, and befrienders, and those who modeled themselves after the four pillars were in charge. Friendship was no longer seen as a nuanced natural process but as a forced action that, if shunned, rendered one an outlaw. Unlike her brother and others, Luccee raised many concerns about what was happening and refused to accept the way things were. During a night out with her brother Trevers and his robot girlfriend Sal.ee, she receives a notification of her impending eviction. Trevers becomes alarmed, but Luccee appears content with the eviction and defies the eviction protocol by packing up swiftly and escaping in a stolen Mini.Ship. Will Luccee be able to achieve the life she seeks—"a life where the SUPER.V1S.10N had no control or say in it"—as she so desperately desires? Will she be captured and brought back to Earth or not? Get a copy to learn more.

The sci-fi and fantasy book Star Sick by Amy Marie Ayres is set in the year 2084. The book's organization made it simple to read and comprehend. Additionally, several of the jokes that were included in this piece made me laugh out loud, which made the reading experience more enjoyable. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy the way this book was told from the perspective of the third person because the characters' emotions or feelings were revealed even before a scene; as a result, the book was unable to elicit any emotions from me.

The story seemed infantile, and the book lacked any tension, yet these flaws were reasonable given the person from whose point of view the story was told. Although the descriptions were clear and did not lead to any confusion, it was occasionally difficult to tell who was speaking during a conversation.

Due to the aforementioned issues, I give this book three out of five stars. I found up to ten errors in this book, which means it needs more editing. Fans of science fiction and fantasy books should read this book, in my opinion.

Star Sick
View: on Bookshelves
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Zona II by Fred G. Baker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I would sure be in trouble in this world. I am not anti-social, but spending time by myself is preferable to companionship. I would like to think that I could be as brave as Luccee.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The City We Became
Bookshelf Size: 425
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has good potential but the flaws you pointed out seem to hinder its development. More editing might improve the story significantly. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
EbonyandIvory
Favorite Book: Hansel and the Gingerbread Queen
Currently Reading: The Kiss List
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by EbonyandIvory »

Thanks for the excellent review. I really hate getting sucked into a book for the plot line but then being unable to enjoy it due to the way it is written. You have saved me from this horror.
Jean Marlo F
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jean Marlo F »

The story is clear but sometimes one does not know who is talking and the story lacked any tension but otherwise the story is good.
Kebun Bunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The feedback on the review for "Star Sick" offers a concise evaluation of the book's strengths and weaknesses. The reviewer acknowledges the intriguing premise of a technologically advanced society and the protagonist's resistance against a society that values extroversion over introversion. They appreciate the book's organization and the inclusion of humor, which added to their reading experience.

However, the reviewer expresses their dissatisfaction with the third-person perspective, as it prevented them from connecting with the characters on an emotional level. They also felt that the story lacked tension and found occasional confusion regarding dialogue attribution.

In light of these criticisms, the reviewer rates the book three out of five stars and points out the need for additional editing due to the discovery of errors. They recommend the book to fans of science fiction and fantasy, despite its flaws.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”