Review of Sentinel Of The Light

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Precious Anavheoba
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Bright Expanse
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-anavheoba.html
Latest Review: Stage Fright by John Gore

Review of Sentinel Of The Light

Post by Precious Anavheoba »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sentinel Of The Light" by Dennis W Rhoades.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

From the moment the prologue begins, Sentinel of the Light: Awakening captivates readers with its gripping storyline, delving into the life of Dave, a young medical student. Following a severe battle with pneumonia and a difficult breakup with his girlfriend, Dave becomes aware of various paranormal occurrences both around him and within him. Despite the sincere efforts of his close friend Spud (Charles) to help him make sense of these events, they prove unsuccessful.

In search of answers, Spud reaches out to Anna, his study partner, who has an interest in studying parapsychology and, unbeknownst to them, has personal experiences with the paranormal. When they meet to discuss Dave's condition, a connection forms between them, leading Anna to introduce Dave to Professor Hamilton, a parapsychology professor at their college. Professor Hamilton, who has been 'helping' Anna understand her extraordinary experiences, quickly recognises Dave's extraordinary abilities during their initial meeting. The professor pushes them into the depths of parapsychology, ultimately draining them physically and mentally. The aftermath of these events forever changes Dave's life.

Dennis W Rhoades' Sentinel of the Light: Awakening explores the significance of friendship, exemplified through the relationships between Spud and Dave, and later Anna. The novel also tackles themes such as trust, self-discovery, deceit, a tumultuous father-son relationship, emotional trauma, gullibility, and the paranormal, which alludes to magic and fantasy. However, with the way the book is written, it makes it look like parapsychology and magic are one and the same thing; it doesn't quite make it clear.

The book has a little over 300 pages and 18 chapters. It is also well formatted. With a satisfactory plot and setting in Philadelphia, the book makes for an averagely interesting read. I later noticed that there was selective character development and unresolved subplots concerning Dave's personal life and origin.

The prologue immediately captured my attention, creating a sense of urgency, suspense, and anticipation. The first chapter successfully maintained my curiosity. However, as the book progressed, these elements diminished as I quickly identified the beginning of foul play through a character's actions. While it seemed obvious to me, the protagonist, Dave, remained oblivious, resulting in a prolonged buildup. Consequently, I felt somewhat dissatisfied with the book, leading me to deduct one star from my rating. Additionally, I encountered several errors during my reading, including issues with sentence and word structure. This compelled me to further deduct another star. As a result, I rate the book three out of five stars. Although I initially contemplated giving it two stars, I ultimately settled on three.

In general, Sentinel of the Light: Awakening is suitable for fantasy lovers and individuals who enjoy stories woven around the discovery of the hero archetype within a character. I commend the author for his effort, recognizing the challenges associated with writing a book. However, I believe this work has room for improvement, particularly in terms of building solid suspense, enhancing character development, and adopting a more powerful narrative style devoid of errors.

Sentinel Of The Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel seems to have good potential but the author needs to work well to develop characters and strong plot elements to make it stand out of the many existing story centered around the paranormal. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: The Successful Business Startup Action Guide by Husam S. AlSaleh

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The review of "Sentinel of the Light: Awakening" by Dennis W Rhoades provides a concise summary of the book's plot and explores its strengths and weaknesses. The reviewer highlights the captivating prologue and the exploration of themes such as friendship and trust. However, they also mention some areas that could be improved, such as the unclear distinction between parapsychology and magic and the selective character development. The reviewer deducts one star for the prolonged buildup and another star for the presence of errors in the book. They ultimately rate the book three out of five stars and offer constructive criticism regarding the need for improved suspense, character development, and narrative style.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:
Margi zuu202
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: Living in Color
Currently Reading: Water Bound (Sisters of the Heart, #1)
Bookshelf Size: 80148
fav_author_id: 77547
2024 Reading Goal: 1000
2024 Goal Completion: 772%

Post by Margi zuu202 »

From discovering his hidden magic world around him Dave uncovered his real power of combining modern medicine with magic of the past I will recommend it 💯✅☑️
Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie
Currently Reading: In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-kristine-dakoykoy-rennie.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B0BNMD3CFC

Post by Ma Kristine Dakoykoy Rennie »

Your synopsis of "Sentinel of the Light: Awakening" is incredibly engaging! The storyline seems to immerse readers into a world where the ordinary collides with the paranormal, interweaving themes of friendship, trust, and self-discovery.
Brittany Arendse
Currently Reading: Children of Dune (Dune, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittany-arendse.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 30
2024 Goal Completion: 6%

Post by Brittany Arendse »

Thank you for a thorough review! I was really intrigued by the reviewers initial thoughts. This book seems to have a lot of potential but without in-depth character development and with the apparent lack of professional editing I don’t think I’ll dare break the spine. Regardless, to the author, well done on #BOTD.
L Besser
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-besser.html
Latest Review: A Frame For Flowers by Sean Storin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by L Besser »

Sentinel of the Light

After reading a sample of the book, the author does grab your attention immediately with the main character, Dave’s, admittance into the E.R. With pneumonia. I would agree with the review that it is a very strong beginning and appreciate the description of its shortcomings in character development and writing errors. The review piques my interest to continue reading and delve into Dave’s paranormal experiences and past life experiences. Great review.
Nisha DSouza
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-dsouza.html
Latest Review: Isazisi:The Book by Bongani Yona

Post by Nisha DSouza »

Today's BOTD is a sci-fi fantasy novel about David, a medical student who had a fatal encounter with pneumonia. While the doctors were trying to bring him back, he witnessed the light and dark and a voice prompting him to choose. He survives but realizes something is different; his hands have a paranormal pale green glow. It's an amazingly intriguing plot, and many will enjoy delving into this parapsychology thriller. Congratulations on the BOTD!
Nisha
Official Reviewer Representative

"There are two ways to live: you can live as if nothing is a miracle; you can live as if everything is a miracle." ~ Albert Einstein
Jay Lu
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

Interesting take on 'Sentinel of the Light: Awakening'. Your points about the fusion of parapsychology and fantasy elements are well-noted. I agree that the book blurs these lines, which might be confusing. The character development and unresolved subplots you mentioned also seem to detract from the overall experience. However, your appreciation for the initial suspense and the themes of friendship and self-discovery does highlight the book's strengths. It's a nuanced review that gives a good sense of what to expect.
Maelen Phelizon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maelen Phelizon »

Title: Unveiling the Epic Journey of "Sentinel Of The Light" by Dennis W Rhoades

"Sentinel Of The Light" by Dennis W Rhoades is a captivating masterpiece that weaves an intricate tapestry of fantasy, adventure, and timeless wisdom. Rhoades' narrative prowess is evident from the first page, drawing readers into a mesmerizing world where the battle between light and darkness unfolds with breathtaking intensity.

The novel introduces us to a richly developed protagonist, whose depth and complexity set the stage for a compelling hero's journey. Rhoades skillfully navigates through the character's inner struggles, making the reader emotionally invested in their growth and evolution. The meticulous attention to detail in character development enhances the overall narrative, allowing readers to connect with the characters on a profound level.

One of the standout features of "Sentinel Of The Light" is Rhoades' ability to create a vivid and immersive setting. The world-building is nothing short of spectacular, as the author takes us on a visual and sensory journey through landscapes that are both fantastical and believable. The descriptive language employed in the novel not only paints a picture of the surroundings but also evokes a palpable atmosphere that heightens the reading experience.

The plot unfolds with a perfect balance of suspense and revelation, keeping readers on the edge of their seats. Rhoades introduces unexpected twists and turns that add layers to the narrative, ensuring that the story remains unpredictable and engaging throughout. The pacing is masterfully executed, allowing for moments of tension to build organically and creating a sense of urgency that propels the plot forward.

Beyond its enthralling narrative, "Sentinel Of The Light" carries profound thematic depth. Rhoades seamlessly integrates thought-provoking insights and moral dilemmas into the story, prompting readers to reflect on the broader implications of the characters' choices. This elevates the novel beyond a mere fantasy adventure, turning it into a work that invites contemplation and introspection.

In conclusion, Dennis W Rhoades' "Sentinel Of The Light" is a tour de force in the fantasy genre. With its rich characters, immersive world-building, and thought-provoking themes, the novel stands as a testament to the author's storytelling prowess. "Sentinel Of The Light" is not merely a book; it is an experience that will linger in the minds of readers long after the final page is turned. Dennis W Rhoades has crafted a literary gem that deserves a place among the classics of the genre.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I felt a bit of a letdown reading the review, since the storyline and the topic of parapsychology seem interesting and then there is potential in the book which has not matured to the fullest. I hope the author has another look at the book, works on the subplots and the character development, and comes with a refreshed edition since the story has piqued my interest.
Abdala-3542
Currently Reading: Fireproof Happiness
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Abdala-3542 »

His study partner, who has an interest in studying parapsychology, has had personal experiences with the paranormal without her knowledge. When they meet to discuss Dave's case, a connection forms between them, leading Anna to introduce Dave to Professor Hamilton
Bithiah
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Mitzi Perdue
Currently Reading: A God-Balanced Life
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bithiah.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
fav_author_id: 240516

Post by Bithiah »

This science fiction fantasy book is about David, a medical student who had pneumonia and died as a result. He saw the light and black and heard a voice asking him to make a decision while the doctors worked to bring him back. Upon perusing an sample from the book, the author effectively captures your interest with Dave, the protagonist, being admitted to the emergency room due to pneumonia. I concur that this is a really great beginning, as noted in the review. When I read the sample, the book seemed incredibly interesting.I appreciate your comprehensive assessment! Greetings on your BOTD! :tiphat:
HUUDA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by HUUDA »

'Sentinel of the light' reminds me of the kind of books that used to attract our attention when we were 13.
Where we are fascinated by the superhero and wish to have a great friendship.

So we can look at this book differently, as it will be good for such a young age and will not seem so vulgar.

I understand the point of view of the reviewer as the writer did not come up with a catchy idea in this genre and I thank his efforts to accurately clarify the weaknesses and strengths to help the writer build characters better and improve his writing style.
Last edited by HUUDA on 22 Dec 2023, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Ekeoma
Currently Reading: The Associated Press Guide to Punctuation
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Prince Ekeoma »

"Sentinel Of The Light" by Dennis W Rhoades. An interesting book, talks about Dave a young medical student batting with pneumonia and other conditions within him. But his friend Spud who he trust. Anna as well supported Spud to help out in Dave's condition. This book has much to learn while reading. Having good relationship with people matters, trust friendship. Congrats on your #BOTD.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”