Review of Space Attack Vol. 1

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Review of Space Attack Vol. 1

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Space Attack Vol. 1" by Manuel F. Lim.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Extraterrestrial lifeforms have been discovered on Earth, and not all of them are evil. Some of the very first of these lifeforms provided humans with the technology to build very large space carriers, of which five were built. Physics is used in ways that can only be described as imaginative. People frequently go missing in this version of Earth, and it is discovered that they have been abducted by aliens and desexed to become slaves. Behind these acts are very powerful forces on par with, if not more powerful than, the government. Space Attack Vol. 1: Remastered will take you on a wild ride.

The plot of this story was very intriguing. It had aliens and technology far superior to that of Earth at the time. This opened up many opportunities in this sci-fi adventure, allowing the story to progress in the way that the author had envisioned. That, combined with the fast pace and light humor of Jason and Admiral Young, piqued my interest in seeing how the story unfolded. Admiral Young was one of my favorite characters. I found his wit and confidence endearing. He adored his ship and would go to great lengths to protect it. His subordinates adored him, and he was known for coming up with novel solutions to problems. I always looked forward to seeing him on the scene.

This book has many flaws, in my opinion. I usually enjoy fast-paced books, but this one was a little too much for me. It appeared that the reader was being bombarded with information all at once. I wish there had been a bit more emotion to help me understand what was going on and how the characters felt in these situations. Some information should be implied rather than presented directly. Second, I thought the dialogue in this book was a little dry at times. It felt too formal, not casual, as if you were speaking to a chatbot, and frequently sounded very similar. Also, there were times when there would be a scene change and it would just happen on the next line. That meant I had to go back and forth a lot to figure out where the new scene started, which was very inconvenient. Finally, and this is just my opinion, I found it odd that every creature, humanlike or not, could communicate in English. There was nothing to indicate that it was another language, just as there was nothing to tell us what the slaves actually did, which I found unsettling.

I gave this book three out of five stars because of the various things that I classified as its strengths and flaws. The story was interesting, but the occasional annoyances took away from my enjoyment of the book. If these were improved, this book would be a perfect story, even worthy of a film adaptation, and I believe fans of science fiction will enjoy this book. There are no explicit scenes, and the profanity is watered down, so I believe it is suitable for a younger audience as well.

Space Attack Vol. 1
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

This is story about people why missing on the Earth. Told us how technology menage and devolpe our life. Give more information about another liveform, but people is desperate of family and community when technology putting a center of his life. They have Space Attact to his life, personal information, and looks world another eyes. This book bombarding with information and i recommend people why like a avantyre and described story with lot of information. :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Chrystal Paris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-paris.html
Latest Review: Swimming in a Sea of Stars by Julie Wright

Post by Chrystal Paris »

The plot of the book seems complex. I really enjoy sci-fi books so I'd give this one a read. Your review is very detailed. Kudos
Mayang Bature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Living Intentionally by Viterose Van huis

Post by Mayang Bature »

chrystal paris wrote: 06 Jun 2023, 06:25 The plot of the book seems complex. I really enjoy sci-fi books so I'd give this one a read. Your review is very detailed. Kudos
Thank you @chrystal paris. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

More editing might benefit this novel giving it a better balance among its parts, a better pacing, and some proper information when they're needed. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Okocha Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okocha Victor »

Your review makes th book sun so interesting. I love the way your summary was presented. In some sick way, id love to experience advancements on earth, but it doesn't come without the cons, so I rest my case.
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The review of "Space Attack Vol. 1: Remastered" provides a balanced perspective, highlighting both the strengths and flaws of the book. The reviewer finds the plot intriguing, with the inclusion of aliens and advanced technology, creating opportunities for an exciting sci-fi adventure. The character of Admiral Young stands out as a favorite, with his wit, confidence, and problem-solving skills.

However, the reviewer points out several weaknesses in the book. The fast-paced nature of the story is noted as overwhelming, making it difficult to process all the information presented. The lack of emotional depth and the dry and similar dialogue are mentioned as detriments to the overall reading experience. Additionally, the abrupt scene changes without clear transitions are found inconvenient, and the universal ability to communicate in English without explanation is deemed unrealistic.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”