Review of Taken away

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Review of Taken away

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Taken away" by London Knight.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Taken Away by London Knight is an intertwined futuristic science fiction recounting the simultaneous journey of two spaceships and the spine-chilling sequence of activities that unfold when one of the ships lags and arrives two hundred years later.

Genevieve Autumn was none the wiser when she accepted an offer from Director Wilds of the IGSC to travel cryogenically frozen on a spaceship for three hundred years to a different planet for habitation. As Vice President and First Officer to Captain Silk Thorn, she assumes her responsibility and aids the Captain in setting the entire crew asleep in their capsules, only to be the sole person woken up five hundred years later. She manually awakens two officers of the Bridge crew to work with her in discovering the error code that delayed their timeline and kept the rest of their team asleep. The Captain and three other bridge members are later awoken, and they seek help from Mayor Spencer of settlement Mirah and similar authorities who believe their story that had reigned as a myth. However, they discover a ghost group working hard to frustrate their efforts and keep their crew asleep forever. Would they have enough time to save them before the lack of power ends their lives for good? Dive right in!

London Knight is an upcoming sci-fi author that proves himself with this chilling story piece! Right from the beginning, Knight hooks the readers with a popular trope of space travel away from dying Earth but wraps a unique twist to the story that is the first of its kind. Knight leaves out the thick scientific content of sci-fi and focuses on the unveiling of action with just enough relevant scientific explanations. The story is thick with suspense, nail-biting twists of events, and thrilling action. Identifying the major and minor characters was easy, and the balanced interaction kept the characters relevant.

Furthermore, there was character development noticed in Officer Byrne and First Officer Genevieve, which emphasized the effect of the tense situation in getting the characters to adjust for the greater good, and I commend that. My favorite statement was from First Officer Genevieve when she contemplated Director Wilds’ offer. It said, “So what if I died? I’d never know what I might have been missing if I never tried.” I find the statement quite powerful, as it questions our fear of making a big move that we might need.

I had a great time reading this book. It was fast-paced, and I could almost hear the time ticking as the bridge members ran around to save their ship and its members. This story is one of a kind. It is pure sci-fi and gives little to no room for a love interest to develop within characters, and I immensely enjoyed the rapt focus on the main plotline. The story had a base of practicality, and one could relate to certain decisions the character made and events that took place. The characters were interesting, with the different quirks and abilities that made them unique and drove the plot. I love the suspense utilized by the author; readers could never guess the next thing to happen, and the rollercoaster of events had a way of sucking one deep into the contents. My favorite character was Mayor Spencer. The crew wouldn’t have gone far without him. He was the soft landing they needed from a turbulent situation, and I commend his character for swallowing the arrogance and ordering around meted out by Genevieve Autumn. Genevieve’s character, although impressive, wasn’t one of my favorites. Genevieve was high on superiority; sometimes, she should have included her crew better and been more approachable.

I disliked nothing about this book except the vicious fights, which I almost couldn’t stomach to read, but it made it all too real. This book also contains just a few errors that in no way affect the flow and rhythm of the story. Therefore, I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars.

I recommend this book to core sci-fi fans. This book would leave your finger numb from turning the pages and your eyes watery from staring too hard, unwilling to miss any action with a blink. A sequel is tremendously expected.

Taken away
View: on Bookshelves
Paul Link
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul-link.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by Paul Link »

Wow, thank you for sharing such an enthusiastic review of Taken Away by London Knight. Your review has entirely sold me, and I am excited to read the story and experience the spine-chilling and thrilling action Knight has expertly woven.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

The author makes a great use of some science fiction tropes to create a terrific story with well-constructed characters. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kebun Bunga
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Classic Guide to Optimizing Your Performance and Building Your Best Fast by Kalliope Barlis

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The review of "Taken Away" by London Knight provides a detailed and enthusiastic summary of the book's plot and highlights its strengths. The reviewer praises the author for their unique twist on the space travel trope and the balanced interaction between the characters. They appreciate the character development and the impactful statements made by the characters. The reviewer commends the fast-paced nature of the story, the practicality of the plot, and the suspenseful elements that keep the reader engaged. They rate the book five out of five stars and mention only minor errors that do not affect the overall reading experience. The feedback is delivered in a positive and engaging tone, capturing the excitement and enjoyment of reading the book.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”