Review of Colony's Dawn

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ebele Ekelobi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebele-ekelobi.html
Latest Review: My Life as a Cryptocurrency by April Lee

Review of Colony's Dawn

Post by Ebele Ekelobi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Colony's Dawn" by N Joseph Glass.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Colony’s Dawn is a wholesome novel that tells the story of a colony characterised by a limited population of people. The colony includes groups of people who know nothing outside of the confined space in which they live. It is managed by a group of top officials and guards who oversee the activities that go on in it. At the centre of this captivating tale is Gift Ojo, an exuberant, innocent, and remarkably optimistic woman. She assumes the role of the protagonist and guides the narrative onto an intriguing trajectory alongside her loyal companions: Mike, Raff, Sakura, and others. Gift grew up without significant troubles. She placed unwavering faith in the established system under which she lived. However, as time went by, her trust in the system gradually eroded. A series of events cast doubt on her innocence and led to her becoming a suspected saboteur. The authorities suspect her to have created an illness known as ECID, which is the cause of the disappearance of some residents.

Gift, accompanied by her steadfast friends, embarked on a self-conducted investigation into the colony's secrets and the nature of the said sickness. Their pursuit of the truth was not without challenges. They attracted the unwanted attention of the guards, thrusting their lives into perilous situations. Throughout this dangerous journey, themes of trust, love, and betrayal emerge, testing Gift's innocence and causing her to question her actions. The novel unravels the hidden truths about the colony, immersing readers in a journey of mystery and intrigue.

Among the list of things I like about this book is the author’s style of writing, which includes inner dialogues that convey the protagonist's thoughts, emotions, and actions. He employs figurative language to enhance the descriptions, making the book more engaging and visually evocative. My favourite character is, without a doubt, the protagonist, Gift, who has a fascinating personality. The not-so-subtle naivety she possesses is satisfying because it portrays the reality of people who grow up in a system where they are not allowed to raise questions and think outside of what they are used to. 

This book is excellent; however, the narrative lacks a clear structure, resulting in a fragmented progression of events. That contributed negatively to my comprehension of the story. The fact that Gift kept on being targeted despite not doing much at the beginning of the story also didn’t quite make sense to me. 

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. It was exceptionally well edited; I couldn't find any grammatical errors in it. I appreciate the inclusion of an African protagonist and the incorporation of certain African dishes into the story. I removed a star because of the issues I highlighted in the paragraph before this one. There was no reason to remove more stars from the book because it was a delightful read. It is obvious from this book that N. Joseph Glass is such a great storyteller. I look forward to reading more of his works.

Colony’s Dawn by N. Joseph Glass is an intriguing and suspenseful story. I recommend it to readers who enjoy immersive and suspenseful science fiction and dystopian novels.

Colony's Dawn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Abigael Kirwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigael-kirwa.html
Latest Review: Just Die by E Alan Fleischauer

Post by Abigael Kirwa »

I have enjoyed reading the review of this book. It seems like a lovely read indeed!
Aswin3848
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aswin3848.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross

Post by Aswin3848 »

The premise of the book is a unique one. People who are not exposed to the outside world and have built a world of their own is something to be amazed.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a novel with great potential that needs some more work to strengthen the plot and clarify some bits. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”