Review of Fiasco of Adventures

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Victoria_Wright
Currently Reading: The Pirate's Deal
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-wright.html
Latest Review: Cajun Crow and the Mockingbird by Jimmie Martinez

Review of Fiasco of Adventures

Post by Victoria_Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fiasco of Adventures" by Victor James.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Fiasco of Adventures by Victor James follows a mega in a small Oregon town with powers he has never truly understood. They manifest with self-loathing and self-deprecating thoughts in the form of a voice he hears in his head. The citizens of New Haven seem to echo these sentiments as our hero is christened Fiasco by the locals. No one knows what the “F” on his costume was supposed to mean before, but now it stands for Fiasco. As Fiasco attempts to navigate his strengths to become the best mega he can be, his true identity, Kevin Jones, scores the woman of his dreams. Julianna is way out of his league, and the guys he works with let him know this fact. He has no idea what she sees in him. A strain builds in their relationship as Kevin starts disappearing at weird hours, stops answering her phone calls, and begins to shut her out. He assumes she will leave him if he doesn't prove he's worthy soon, and he works hard to make Fiasco into a true mega-hero before he plans to reveal this other part of his life to her.

The action in this book is unmatched. There are stunning details to bring the reader right into the scene alongside every character. I can smell the exhaust described while Fiasco is in a high-speed car chase. I can almost see the grit swirling around the angry crowd as they gather to confront Fiasco in his most recent damage to the city. I can even sometimes hear and sympathize with the feeling of self-loathing Kevin has when the voice appears. Victor James does a wonderful job of conveying the mood, atmosphere, and settings throughout Fiasco of Adventures. Each character is given dimension and has a developed personality that pulls the reader in.

The only true complaint I have about Fiasco of Adventures is intentional, I believe. Kevin is so stuck in his self-loathing and depression that I wanted to reach into the pages and shake him many times while reading this book. Throughout the story, the situations are made much more challenging by Kevin assuming the worst of the people closest to him. He never truly trusts Julianna and her feelings for him or his place in her life. He constantly self-sabotages (mostly unintentionally) and I had to put it down a few times because I was so frustrated.

I would rate Fiasco of Adventures by Victor James 4 out of 5 stars. I enjoyed the journey and the story, even though I was frustrated with Kevin Jones many times. The action kept me turning pages, especially towards the end, and I would happily read a sequel to see where Kevin takes Fiasco in the future. This book had a fantastic build-up and climax that kept me coming back for more. I desperately wanted to find out what happened to everyone involved. I gave a 4 out of 5 because there were some grammatical errors and typos that keep this book from being a perfect 5 out of 5.

I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys superhero or mega stories with a more cynical twist to them. If you enjoy characters struggling with their demons and not quite put together, this is the book for you. There are heavy Christian themes throughout the book, but they do not take away or distract from the story in any way.

Fiasco of Adventures
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”