Review of Uprising

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Review of Uprising

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Uprising" by Tayma Tameem.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Catalea Yrenea, a venatrix of Catlea, is now appointed as the first lieutenant of Calix, King of the Grand Celestials. Her first task as lieutenant? Find out the mastermind behind the fomenting rebellion and put an end to it. Something’s seething beneath the surface, however, something dark and angry and tied to the Dark Ones trapped in the Dark Fold. After leaving the Immortal Fold, Catalea must travel through the Mortal Fold, visiting the different camps to weed out the traitors among the Champions—those who have become Corrupted. Uprising, the first book in the Celestials book series by Tayma Tameem, follows the warrior on her xiphos-wielding journey through the Three Folds.

Let it not be said that Miss Tayma Tameem doesn’t know how to craft a well-spun tale. That is exactly what’s offered up in this book—a delicious worldbuilding accompanied by creatively (but not too strangely) named characters and things, both backed by an intriguing balance of magic and advanced science. I can point to the ARTEMIS as what is perhaps a more memorable element, the function of which readers are invited to learn about during their own reads. Also, ‘portal’ is such a boring name. Why choose that when ‘mikrovelo’ is on the table? They’re little things, but they are incorporated so well into the story that they deserve mention.

I was quite taken with the cast of characters that made up this fictional world. While Catalea is the obvious choice for a favourite, the rest aren’t left too far in the dust. I liked Parker and Keath, the mischievous and highly intelligent tween-aged duo, and Fauxen promises a delightful conception for the birth of a friends-to-enemies trope down the road. I was intrigued with the mystery of Shadow and look forward to seeing how he’ll be used to further the plot in coming instalments, especially as his role is of a morally grey individual and he’s already proved a key figure in the plot of the first book.

The Greek mythology vibe was strong with this one. It is mostly an original story, but I couldn’t help drawing similarities here and there. For instance, the relationship between Calix and Talon is reminiscent of the one between Hades and Zeus. Even the ever-convening pantheon of gods and Calix’s tendency to get all lightning-like and imperious has Zeus’s characteristics—at least in modern representations—down pat.

Alas, even with all these great features, I did find several errors that do not point to the novel having been professionally edited. This is the only negative I can name and was undeniably a contributing factor in my final rating.

I rate Uprising by Tayma Tameem four out of five stars. This was a fabulous read with only one shortcoming: the mistakes littered throughout the book. Some improvement in this area might nudge this up to the full five-star rating. With that said, this is a great book for fans of the sword and sorcery and high fantasy genres. Readers who enjoy reading about Greek gods and their champions might find some similarity to that in this book, though it boasts its own flavour, which should be looked forward to.

Uprising
View: on Bookshelves
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

This story telling as how hate have bead effect of life. Dominant woman, strong woman is needed to people. Lead og Kingdom is very difficult, but if we have a strong leadership problems can resolve. Author tell as how community have power to make changes. Fait between two different worlds can make drama in scenes onn this story. Character on this story tell as how people demanding relationship with family and friends.
Francis Kapola
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Francis Kapola »

I wonder if the errors littered in the book are a hindrance to understanding the story. An interesting review.
John Kingsley Ken
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-john-kingsley-ken.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by John Kingsley Ken »

The sacrifice for power always comes with a high price. Sounds so intriguing, can't wait dive in. A great review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Some classic elements of the fantasy genre mixed with classic Greek mythology elements are used to create the beginning of what seems like an engaging series, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to make it excellent. I haven't read any of Tayma Tameem's novels so far but I read good reviews, so I'll keep an eye on this series as well. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kebun Bunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kebun-bunga.html
Latest Review: The Successful Business Startup Action Guide by Husam S. AlSaleh

Post by Kebun Bunga »

The review for "Uprising" provides a positive assessment of the book's well-crafted storytelling and worldbuilding. The reviewer praises the author, Tayma Tameem, for her ability to create a captivating narrative with creatively named characters and elements, blending magic and advanced science in an intriguing way. The mention of the ARTEMIS and the unique naming choices showcases the author's attention to detail and incorporation of these elements into the story.

The cast of characters receives commendation, with Catalea being highlighted as a favorite but not overshadowing the other well-developed characters. The reviewer expresses interest in the dynamics and potential future developments of characters like Parker, Keath, Fauxen, and Shadow. The Greek mythology vibe is also acknowledged, noting similarities to existing mythology while offering its own unique flavor.

However, the review points out the presence of several errors that indicate a lack of professional editing, which is mentioned as the only negative aspect. Despite this shortcoming, the reviewer rates the book four out of five stars, emphasizing that improvement in editing could potentially elevate the rating to five stars. The book is recommended to fans of sword and sorcery and high fantasy genres, particularly those interested in Greek mythology-inspired tales.
Sincerely,
Sondang :tiphat:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”