Review of Flamingo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Review of Flamingo

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flamingo" by David James.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

After a heartbreaking visit to his parents' home to bid farewell to their beloved aging dog, Ben's encounter with his daughter, Mia, takes an unexpected turn. Mia, unaware of the dog's passing, excitedly shows her father a painting she created and plans to include the dog in her next masterpiece. However, when Ben breaks the news to her, Mia's anger escalates dramatically, leading to an explosion and a distressing incident that lands her in the hospital. Seeking answers, they embark on a journey to a specialized facility, yearning to understand Mia's perplexing condition. Will Mia survive? How did she acquire such extraordinary energy? Uncover the enthralling mysteries within this captivating science fiction novel.

There are countless aspects of this book that truly resonated with me. From its humorous moments to its profound lessons, the story's seamless progression and suspenseful plotline were absolutely engaging. The author masterfully crafted characters that possess both virtues and flaws, evoking a myriad of emotions through their conversations, be it joy, laughter, anger, or sadness. I found myself deeply attached to the characters, particularly Ben, Mia, and Professor Brinkman.

Mia, right from her very first line in the novel, instantly captured my heart. At times, I forgot she was merely a five-year-old, as her intelligence, wit, and discipline shone through her words. I couldn't help but adore her throughout the story. The synergy between Ben and Sara was delightful, and Sara's reactions to their banter reminded me so much of my wife's responses to such actions from Ben. I couldn't help but laugh. The humorous scenes they shared were an absolute delight. Charles' interactions, always providing comic relief amid the book's fast-paced intensity, were a welcome respite. Additionally, Kevin's character is one to watch. The moment Ben and Charlie played Sega, it evoked nostalgic memories of my childhood, recalling games like Dog Hunt, Super Mario, and others on the console. Such a wonderful time!

When Charles compelled Ben to enter the secret lab, I knew deep down that it was a questionable decision. It reminded me of numerous instances where people have suffered the consequences of succumbing to peer pressure, resulting in harm, injury, or even death. That one night's act brought not only trouble to Ben but also to his family and the Brinkman's family. And what fate befell Charles? He was unaware of the impact his actions had on the people he cherished. This serves as an important reminder to resist the urge to yield to peer pressure and not engage in unwise choices.

Throughout this remarkable novel, the author skillfully weaves in subthemes of baseball and a love for dogs, adding depth and an enjoyable diversion. It also subtly explores the dynamics of marriage and relationships, emphasizing the significance of effective communication and intentional actions. The author's portrayal of these aspects serves as a gentle reminder of the importance of caution and discipline when engaging in sports banter.

In terms of editing, Flamingo by David James is professionally done, as I discovered only one error. The language used is clear, and the book is meticulously formatted. Divided into three parts encompassing 26 chapters, the story grips readers with its suspenseful narrative and impeccable descriptions. For these reasons, I find no grounds to harbor any dislike for this book.

Based on the aforementioned points, I wholeheartedly rate this book five out of five stars. I could not find a single reason to deduct from its stars. I highly recommend this book to science fiction enthusiasts and those yearning to relish the simplicity and fun of the 1990s.

Flamingo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Ivana_5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ivana_5 »

Flamingo is novels of energy and heroin girl Mia. She have a feather which have a brokenheart, but she have a friend, his dog. She have a incitand go on a hospital. She survives because is a strong and intelligent girl. She have a five year, but she is reasonable and smart girl. Avantyre and she talent to painting is a very interesting on this novels. I recommend to read every why haven't faith that is a possibility stay positive on a bead time. This story have humorous because your enjoying when read a book.
Jude Michael Uchechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Jude Michael Uchechukwu »

What interest me In this book is the composure of a little girl just five years of age, interacting so well and outstanding... This book deserves more than a five star because of it way of picture the old and young together.... It's a book for children and also for adults... The game aspect of this book reminds me of how when I was little, I would sneak out to my neighbors house to play some video games with my friends, lol😄,but I really love this book because of it maturity despite the main character is a child.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 2084
Bookshelf Size: 1017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Time Before Time by Dan DuBose
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

Good review. It’s hard to capture the emotions of losing a pet. Even so, Mia’s reaction is really over-the-top. I hope that she and her father can. Overcome what she’s going through in order to save her from herself.
Obc Contentor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obc-contentor.html
Latest Review: Heart and Harmony: Poetic Reflections on Legendary Singers by Archie Luper

Post by Obc Contentor »

I do love books that feature love for dogs and pets generally. This book sounds enjoyable to pass time. Thanks for sharing the review.
Okocha Victor
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okocha-victor.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White

Post by Okocha Victor »

Explosions like a gas explosion or something inside Mia exploded? also, I can kind of relate to Mias' anger because, one, her expectation was cut short as she anticipated including the dog in her next painting. two, no one wants to lose a pet.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Killing Machine
Bookshelf Size: 428
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 40%

Post by NetMassimo »

There's a lot in this novel, as around the central plot that concerns Mia's mysterious powers there are the relationships within her family and others with characters outside it, there are choices made by characters that have consequences, and more. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”