Official Review: Steel, Blood & Fire

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Re: Official Review: Steel, Blood & Fire

Post by gali »

Judyk wrote:
gali wrote:
lol I rather liked the "less evil" one though. 8)
Kind of like a motorcycle club romance (lol) great review BTW it convinced me to buy the book rather than read it with my kindle unlimited. Its nice to see a review that so thoroughly explores all of the parts of the book without gibing the whole story away.
Thanks
Thank you. It is a great book! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

I really like that this author took the time to make this "epic fantasy" fresh and exciting. I am very impressed that four separate storylines were established and maintained without losing you or the quality of the overall story. I like my heroes and villains to fall within the gray. Great review!
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
gali

Post by gali »

bluemel4 wrote:I really like that this author took the time to make this "epic fantasy" fresh and exciting. I am very impressed that four separate storylines were established and maintained without losing you or the quality of the overall story. I like my heroes and villains to fall within the gray. Great review!
The book is very exciting. I enjoyed it greatly. Thank you. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Post by PashaRu »

Thanks for such a thorough, enthusiastic review! I don't read fantasy, but this sounds like an intriguing read with more than just the tired tropes of dragons, wizards, heroes, and kingdoms in conflict. Glad you enjoyed it so much!
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
lorenicole
Favorite Author: Laurell K Hamilton
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorenicole.html
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
Publishing Contest Votes: 12

Post by lorenicole »

Thank you Gali for your well written review of this novel. I like the thought of the characters being shades of gray since that makes them more real. In real life everyone has some darkness in them in varying degrees. I also like that the author did not go obvious with the characters and just do good vs evil which has been done SO many times. This book seems refreshing. It does not hurt that it is medieval fantasy which is one of my favorite areas of reading ;)
Latest Review: "Loose Tooth Trouble" by Melissa Bixby
gali

Post by gali »

:text-thankyouyellow:
A retired Admin/Mod

1_2_5_am
Currently Reading: Once Upon a Time in Korea
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-1-2-5-am.html

Post by 1_2_5_am »

I was very hesitant of reading any review of this because I fear spoilers, but WOW! You are such an impeccable reviewer!
This review is so riveting that it made me want to read the book even more than I already did!! I really adored the third paragraph when you gave some insight into the characters! That's when I just knew... I'm truly going to have to read this because I am too intrigued not to!!
gali

Post by gali »

1_2_5_am wrote:I was very hesitant of reading any review of this because I fear spoilers, but WOW! You are such an impeccable reviewer!
This review is so riveting that it made me want to read the book even more than I already did!! I really adored the third paragraph when you gave some insight into the characters! That's when I just knew... I'm truly going to have to read this because I am too intrigued not to!!
Thank you. If you get a chance to read it, let me know what you think. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

maruyama
Currently Reading: Dragon Flight
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by maruyama »

First law meets Malazan is an accurate portrayal. This book had some excellent takes on otherwise tired themes. Fantasy is not dead, but living and breathing and authors like Batchelder are keeping it alive. Not unlike CB Currie in its nuance and shades, but far more expansive in its epic scope. This is a world-saver like no other.
gali

Post by gali »

maruyama wrote:First law meets Malazan is an accurate portrayal. This book had some excellent takes on otherwise tired themes. Fantasy is not dead, but living and breathing and authors like Batchelder are keeping it alive. Not unlike CB Currie in its nuance and shades, but far more expansive in its epic scope. This is a world-saver like no other.
Have you read the book? I certainly agree.
A retired Admin/Mod

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Great Review gali! I actually purchased a copy of this book a couple weeks ago! I haven't read it yet but I plan on reading it soon!
gali

Post by gali »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Great Review gali! I actually purchased a copy of this book a couple weeks ago! I haven't read it yet but I plan on reading it soon!
Thank you. Enjoy! :)

I purchased the second book and plan on reading it. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

I just started reading The 5th Wave and once I finish it I will probably read this one. :) at the rate I'm going, I estimate 2 months. :lol:
gali

Post by gali »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:I just started reading The 5th Wave and once I finish it I will probably read this one. :) at the rate I'm going, I estimate 2 months. :lol:
No rush! :D
A retired Admin/Mod

Paperweight
Currently Reading: The Fault in Our Stars
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Paperweight »

APatwary989 wrote:Wow Gali this review was really well written. I will make sure to pick a copy of Steel, Blood and Fire. I think that, as you mentioned, complex characters are what draws me to a book because it shows a more realistic picture of what people in the real world are like.
I've only recently had the courage to pick up a high fantasy book because these always tend to have a very intimidating number of characters within the pages. However after reading A Game of Thrones by J.R Martin, I found that fantasy is a great mix of different flavours mixed in. It is finely balanced with a high character count on one side in order to create a rich and satisfying tale.
Thanks for bringing this book to my attention.
A fantasy is a great mix of flavours- I totally agree!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”