Review of A Tome of Order Magic

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: Mommies Get Scared Too by Gina Lee Mendoza

Review of A Tome of Order Magic

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Tome of Order Magic" by Kyle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

A Tome of Order Magic is a science-fiction novel written by Kyle, which is the author’s pseudonym. The book follows a character named Kai as he is unexpectedly transported to another world. This other world is different than anything Kai has ever experienced. He is thrown into a world of magic, and it seems that he was summoned there. In this adventure-filled story, Kai must figure out why he was summoned to this world and how to control the magic. Will he find his purpose?

There were several aspects of the book that were great. The editing was excellent. I only noticed a few errors. The author also had unique ideas. For example, the use of “mana” as the power behind the magic was a concept I hadn’t heard before, and several different creatures were described that were interesting. I liked that I didn’t feel lost when reading about these concepts. Another creative aspect of the book was that it was formatted like a video game. The amount of mana was “displayed” for Kai to see. When he improved his battle skills, it showed him “powering up.”

Unfortunately, several areas needed improvement. A lot of the humor was immature. Immature humor on its own would be okay, but several of the comments crossed the line by being sexist and misogynistic. It went so far as to joke about whether these comments and thoughts were inappropriate, which somehow made things seem worse. Many of the comments were unnecessary and didn’t add anything to the story itself.

Another downfall was that the plot was lacking throughout the book. It seemed more like a series of mini-adventures than a story that followed one specific storyline. It often felt like the book was written without a specific purpose. On the other hand, the descriptions were often too in-depth. This wasn’t a huge issue for the action scenes; however, it detracted from the book when the characters would go on long rants about their opinions. For example, there were monologues from Kai that lasted for several pages.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars. The author had good ideas with several unique aspects, and the book was professionally edited. The overall plot and content, however, were lacking. I have to take off a star due to the lack of clear plot and purpose, and I have to take off another star due to the inappropriateness of the content of the book. As written, I would recommend this book for those who enjoy science-fiction and fantasy-based video games. I would only recommend this for older audiences who are okay with the sexist and sexual comments made throughout the book. There were also several gory scenes and scenes with sexual content that some readers might want to avoid.

A Tome of Order Magic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

Thank you for your detailed review of A Tome of Order Magic. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts on the book. I agree with you that the book has some strong points. The editing is excellent, and the author has some unique ideas, such as the use of mana as the power behind the magic and the video game-like formatting.
Miracle Oge Adaeze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miracle-oge-adaeze.html
Latest Review: The Maple Seed Helicopter by Marco Collina

Post by Miracle Oge Adaeze »

"Immature humor on its own would be okay, but several of the comments crossed the line by being sexist and misogynistic." I see that this book has a great potential to make a fantastic read. However, the sexist and misogynistic comments could be a turn-off. Thank you for pointing that out.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Fated Sky
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 55%

Post by NetMassimo »

There are indeed some interesting aspects in this novel but I see why others were a disappointment and make people lose interest in this book. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a helpful assessment of the book, highlighting both its strengths and weaknesses. It covers aspects like editing, unique ideas, and creative formatting positively. However, it also mentions immature humor, lack of clear plot, and excessive descriptions as downsides. The reviewer rates it 3 out of 5 stars and recommends it for fans of science-fiction and fantasy-based video games, but advises caution due to inappropriate content. Overall, the review provides sufficient information to help potential buyers make an informed decision, but may not necessarily motivate everyone to purchase it. Whether it's a good addition to one's library would depend on their preferences and tolerance for certain content.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

Concise This review highlights both positive and negative aspects of "Share A Tome of Order Magic." While the book has unique ideas and good editing, it suffers from immature and inappropriate humor, a lacking plot, and excessive descriptions. It may appeal to fans of sci-fi/fantasy video games but is recommended for older audiences due to its explicit content. Overall, the book leans towards being an unimpressive read.
Jay Lu
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Magi Apprentice
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jay-lu.html
Latest Review: Casindra Lost by Marti Ward

Post by Jay Lu »

It's fascinating how "A Tome of Order Magic" integrates video game mechanics with fantasy storytelling, as highlighted in your review. The concept of mana and its visual representation for the protagonist offers a fresh take on magic in literature. However, the issues you've raised about the humor and plot are concerning. It's crucial for authors to strike a balance between engaging content and respectful representation. Your insights provide a well-rounded perspective for potential readers, helping them gauge if this book aligns with their preferences.
Kirti Saraff
Currently Reading: A Walk to Remember
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirti-saraff.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Kirti Saraff »

The review of the book A Tome of order magic covers the pros and cons of the plot. The book does have some interesting parts bur the downside of the humor and the plot makes the user loose interest.
Adekunle Jay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adekunle-jay.html
Latest Review: My Spouse, my friend by Ingiete Oyama

Post by Adekunle Jay »

"Dive into the enchanting world of 'A Tome of Order Magic' by Kyle, where innovative magical concepts and captivating storytelling await. While the journey may encounter some bumps along the way, the book's professionally edited prose and unique formatting keep readers engaged.
Yvonne Oloo
Currently Reading: Angel Falling
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-oloo.html
Latest Review: 3 Sisters 3 Weeks 3 Countries (Still Talking) by Elizabeth Moore Kraus

Post by Yvonne Oloo »

Thanks for the great review. From your synopsis of the book, it seems like the author had a great idea to share in the form of a story. The central idea is of finding purpose, where Kai, after being transported to another, magical world had to find out why he was summoned to this world. This plot would make for an intriguing, suspenseful, and even thrilling story. However, the noted weakness in the book only shows dismay in the author's choice for content. The lack of clear character development, the use of mini adventures instead of following a well-set storyline, and the overall lack of purpose in the book have greatly reduced this book's appeal to me.
fumbani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by fumbani »

The author’s use of “mana” as the magical power source and the unique creatures described were intriguing. The formatting resembling a video game, with mana levels visibly displayed, added an interesting layer to the story.

However, I appreciate your honesty in pointing out areas for improvement. Immature humor, especially when it crosses into sexist and misogynistic territory, can detract from the overall reading experience. Additionally, the lack of a clear plot and purpose affected the book’s cohesion.

In summary, your 3 out of 5 star rating reflects the balance between the book’s strengths and weaknesses.
Ajain12
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ajain12.html
Latest Review: The Kovalenko Secret by Philip L Rettew

Post by Ajain12 »

This review of "A Tome of Order Magic" commends its unique concepts and professional editing but criticizes its immature and inappropriate humor, lack of cohesive plot, and excessive descriptions. Rated 3 out of 5 stars, it's recommended for fans of sci-fi and fantasy games but cautioned for its mature content.
fumbani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by fumbani »

"A Tome of Order Magic" presents inventive ideas with a captivating concept of magic fueled by "mana." The video game-like format adds a unique touch. While commendable for its editing, the book falters in immature and at times inappropriate humor. The plot lacks a clear direction, feeling more like a series of mini-adventures. Overall, it earns a 3 out of 5 stars, recommended for sci-fi and fantasy game enthusiasts, but caution is advised for mature content.
Vinay Penubothu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinay-penubothu.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Vinay Penubothu »

"A Tome of Order Magic" introduces a fresh take on magic, utilizing the intriguing concept of "mana" in a video game-style setting. The book shines in its polished editing, but stumbles with immature humor and occasional inappropriate content. The plot meanders without a strong focus, resembling a collection of smaller adventures. I would rate it 3 out of 5 stars, suggesting it for fans of sci-fi and fantasy games, but with a note of caution regarding mature themes.
Marie Chalupová
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: The Book That Broke the World (The Library Trilogy #2)
Bookshelf Size: 2305
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marie-chalupov.html
Latest Review: The Very Hungry Beagles Guide to Poop by M. Jackson, Lucky, Mr. Beckham, Peanut
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 4040
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 42%

Post by Marie Chalupová »

From the review, this is one of the books that fall into LitRPG and Isekai genres. While it might seem like a novel concept, there are many books written like this, but they are still a bit niche genres so it's understandable not many people know about it. I am quite a bit of a fan of these genres, although they often suffer from overall descriptiveness as seems to be the case for this book too.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”