Review of Dead Reckoning

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Michael Valentine
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-valentine.html
Latest Review: Diotima by Bernard Kuckuck

Review of Dead Reckoning

Post by Michael Valentine »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dead Reckoning" by David K. Hall.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dead Reckoning: Book Two of The Nights of the Apocalypse Series, by David K. Hall, is a book full of intrigue, action, and suspense that keeps you glued to the pages, excited for what is set to happen.

This book is about a zombie apocalypse. Selfish leaders and scientists release a gain-of-function virus that ravages the world, putting the world in a state of anarchy and emergency. In this new world, Ryan, his loved ones, and his crew have not only zombies to worry about but also mad men who, in the struggle for survival, have been driven by the state of emergency to act rationally and kill whoever stands in their way of survival. In this state of anarchy, everyone has to stand up and become a murderer of men and zombies. Who will survive? Who will put their lives on the line? As you read this book, you cannot help but feel the tension and hope that the human race is saved.

I am glad to have read two books in this series. I loved everything about this book; it was obvious that the author put his all into writing it. First, I loved that at the beginning of the book, we saw how different characters came into contact with the zombies and how they reacted to them, coming up with different theories of what had taken over the world. I also loved that the author introduced new major characters, which added more spice to the book, making it feel like not only the second book in the series but something bigger and better. I also loved how he portrayed the gay characters in this book; he showed us that gay men in real life and gay characters can be strong and masculine, not necessarily the cliche characters we are used to reading in books and seeing in movies. Most of all, I love how he analyzed and explained all the scientific experiments in the book; even though some of them were fictional, they felt and sounded real.

I could not find anything I disliked about this book, as the author created a masterpiece. I thought the first book was good, but this was better. I believe that books like these need to have a movie adaptation, as stories like these should not only be read but also watched on a screen.

I rate this book five out of five stars, as I could not find anything to dislike about the book. It is a book I wouldn’t mind reading again; it was that good. The author put in so much work in this book, and it is evident that the masterpiece he aimed at creating was created. I recommend this book to lovers of unconventional romance and gay love. Readers looking for a book that depicts powerful gay characters should also have a shot at this book. Paranormal and sci-fi readers should also read this book.

Dead Reckoning
View: on Bookshelves
Chandrakant Patel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chandrakant-patel.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Chandrakant Patel »

I am particularly interested in your comments about the portrayal of gay characters in the book. I agree that it is refreshing to see gay characters who are strong and masculine, rather than the stereotypical characters that are often portrayed in books and movies.
Rebecca De Figueiredo
Favorite Book: Sent to Watch
Currently Reading: Enlightenment for the Things that Really Matter
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebecca-de-figueiredo.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Rebecca De Figueiredo »

The review was a perfect description of the book. The cover is a forewarning of what’s inside, which is a violent story of ghoulish extremes. I would not recommend this book to young readers.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I never know if I will like books and stories about zombies or not. It's either love or hate with me. Based on the review, I will read this one and with themes like unconventional love and strong gay characters, I think I will like it.
Okafor Angel
Currently Reading: The Fish House
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel-okafor-1.html
Latest Review: Alpha Buddies Land by Donna Marie Rink

Post by Okafor Angel »

I love books focused on fantasy, mystery and suspense. Dead reckoning looks like a very thrilling and interesting book. I can't wait to dive into it. Congrats on being the book of the day!
Tomy Chandrafrost
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomy-chandrafrost.html
Latest Review: UNEMPLOYABLE by Alysia Edith Silberg

Post by Tomy Chandrafrost »

I feel like I can learn about better reviewing techniques from your review. Your review also intrigues me to delve deeper into this book. Perhaps as a note, you may need to add a section on who this book is suitable for, as I agree there are parts that are not suitable for children to read. Thanks for the post!!!
Mole128
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mole128 »

This book is about a zombie apocalypse. Selfish leaders and scientists release a gain-of-function virus that ravages the world, putting the world in a state of anarchy and emergency. The book sounds like a good read. Great review.
MILLICENT MURUGI
Currently Reading: All religions are Not the Same
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by MILLICENT MURUGI »

With a review about book 2 of Dead reckoning it makes me want to go and read the first book too. The science fiction and horror that comes with a zombie apocalypse and how the author also touches about strong masculine gay characters is fascinating.
yarelie aguayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by yarelie aguayo »

At first glance "Dead Reckoning" sounds a bit silly a zombie western mashup set up in Texas. The thing is it is a bit silly but it works. And the reason it works is because the authors don't take it too seriously. There's a tongue in cheek vibe that runs subtly throughout. The ick factor is still there but its manageable. The zombies are a necessary part of the plot but not in a gratuitous way.
Upasana Vidish Purohit
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mockingbird
Currently Reading: Atomic Habits
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-upasana-vidish-purohit.html
Latest Review: Fireproof Happiness by Dr. Randy Ross
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Upasana Vidish Purohit »

It looks like a very mysterious and thrilling book from the review. I have never experienced a thrilling novel as such, but what made me curious were the zombies and strong gay characters. After reading the review, I want to read the first part as well as the as the second to experience the thriller. Thank you for the good review. 
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this seems like an interesting science fiction story set in a post-apocalyptic zombie filled world where Ryan and his family and friends must find a way to survive. It might be worth a second look. Well done.
Paris Kumar
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 489
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paris-kumar.html
Latest Review: 480 Codorus Street by Sandra L. Kearse-Stockton
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Paris Kumar »

This insightful review captures the essence of "Dead Reckoning" brilliantly. Your attention to detail and appreciation for the author's efforts make readers eager to dive into this gripping series. Thank you for your thorough analysis!

Congratulations on being BOTD!
The greatest part of a writer’s time is spent in reading, in order to write; a man will turn over half a library to make one book.
—Samuel Johnson

I am happy to be a part of the OnlineBookClub.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Dead Reckoning delivers a gripping tale in the zombie apocalypse genre, blending intense action, survival, and anarchy with deep character development and a refreshing portrayal of strength and diversity. A must-read for fans of thrillers and unconventional heroes. Congratulations on being BOTD!
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Rose Nafula Oketch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-nafula-oketch.html
Latest Review: Ice Dance by Vik Azeem

Post by Rose Nafula Oketch »

From the cover page, the book seems thrilling and gives a hint to anticipate a lot of action in it. I hope it won't disappoint, as I look to delve into it. Thanks to the author for providing a free copy of the book, I have obtained mine.
Latest Review: Ice Dance by Vik Azeem
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: Hi, I'm Andy. Ask me anything by Alan Perrins

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

Today's selection appears to combine themes of survival, gender sensitivity, and inclusivity in a zombie apocalypse thriller. It is ideal for enthusiasts of paranormal science fiction that explores societal issues.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”