Review of The Elf Revelation

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Review of The Elf Revelation

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elf Revelation" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Elf Revelation by Jordan David is book nine in the Magi Charter series. The series focuses on Santa and the elves and their mission, which has evolved over the years. This last chapter once again takes place in space. Santa has failed the mission, and the elves are spread throughout the galaxy. Their base is no longer functional. They must find a way forward. How will they continue their calling? What will they do without Santa's leadership?

Once again, I appreciate the new worlds and civilizations the author created. Also, it is interesting that he includes a whole section that pretty much mimics Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. He includes his own version of one of Shakespeare's most famous lines on page 438. “And you Brutios? Then fall Sonath …” Additionally, he has rearranged the story of Jesus' birth for his needs, complete with Christmas carol lyrics. All evidence of the author's great creativity.

I also appreciated the glossary the author included. All the previous Santas are listed. Any major character or species that you may have forgotten, you can look up, which is helpful.

Having said that, this book felt disappointing. I feel like the author has departed from the original intentions of the series. The first seven books are heavily focused on Santa and the elves. The eighth book does somewhat. This book departs from that and focuses more on the galaxy as a whole.

Also, the book is longer than it needs to be because he kept backing up and retelling the same event two, three, or four times from different perspectives. A very old battle is recounted in the book that doesn't seem to add to the story. At over 1300 pages, the book would be better if it were trimmed.

This book, as the last in the series, is meant to wrap up everything. However, the ending didn't feel satisfying enough to me. I did enjoy aspects of it, but I wanted more. It was a good ending to the book, but it wasn't a good ending to the series.

Lastly, the book is plagued with the same types of errors that plagued the other books in the series. Mostly, it's just careless typos that were never taken care of. For example, carrying is used instead of caring. Askes is written when it should be asks.

I have greatly enjoyed the series as a whole and would recommend it to anyone who loves a good story. I know Jordan David is a talented author. However, this book was disappointing. For the reasons I've listed, I rate The Elf Revelation 3 out of 5 stars. It was enjoyable enough. Still, it was too long, didn't wrap up the series well enough, and had too many errors to warrant a higher rating.

The Elf Revelation
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chuks-ogechukwu-bianca.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Chuks Ogechukwu Bianca »

The length of the book is already a discouraging factor. Would definitely have to pass. Congrats on an amazing review.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

The end of a long series can fall a bit flat when the storylines reached their conclusion but the author tries to go on. It still can be funny to read. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I'm sorry this series didn't come to a more satisfying end, but note that it was a fun journey anyway.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Alice Heritage wrote: 18 Nov 2023, 12:32 I'm sorry this series didn't come to a more satisfying end, but note that it was a fun journey anyway.
Yes, there were great books along the way. He's a talented writer in any case.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sweeter Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sweeter Parker »

Too bad this isn't the journey we expected the series to be. But I'll most likely read this one too since i already read the others. Thanks for the honest review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”