Review of Project Tau

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 380
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Know Your Buyer! by D.L. Andrews
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of Project Tau

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Project Tau" by Jude Austin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

I was excited to get this chance to review Project Tau by Jude Austin because I had already enjoyed reading the sequel (Homecoming) after it was Book of the Day. Although that includes enough backstory, I relished learning more details from the first book in the series. For one, I was likely wrong about how the name of the protagonist - Kata - is pronounced. I had thought it would rhyme with "hatter", but having now learned how he got his name, I believe it would be pronounced "Kay-Tay".

Originally named "Kalin Taylor", the seventeen-year-old was christened "Project Kata" by Mason, the director of the GenTech facility on a space station orbiting the planet Basarr where Kalin had been a college freshman. On being captured by security guards, he immediately regretted breaking into the facility. Desperate to become more popular, he had been told he could join a fraternity if he photographed Project Tau, the facility's famed human clone. After he is imprisoned by Mason, who has seen his chance to convert a non-cloned human into a Project, the first friendly voice Kalin hears belongs to none other than Tau himself.

While reading Kalin's first conversations with Tau, I found myself adjusting mentally to the fact that he wasn't a robot. He doesn't know what to make of swearing or metaphors, which leads him to ask some hilarious questions. However, that naivete results from being grown in a tank and trained by scientists. Science fiction works speculating about how to program consciousness and empathy into androids are two a penny. What makes this book refreshingly different is its focus on where the natural might go in the future. Tau is simply a human with kindness and curiosity baked into his nature. To the scientists, he is just a Project to use and abuse for experimentation and profit. Yet how could that be right, not least in view of his obvious humanity? One of the many outstanding aspects of this story is the spotlight it shines on such ethical questions.

The tension this created made for a compelling and engaging read. This was heightened by the contrast between Tau and Kata. Tau has never known any different, but "Project Kata" had a normal human life before he was kidnapped, as is known only to Mason and a sadistic scientist called Dennison. To deceive the other staff, they concoct a story to account for Kata's protests about being treated like an object to be pushed beyond reasonable limits. For a crucial component of Projects' training is breaking them mentally to ensure obedience when sold as assets with superhuman qualities but without rights or autonomy.

This relates to another awe-inspiring aspect of this book: it was thrilling to see the human spirit being put to the test. The suspense increased when it became clear that other scientists were smarter than Mason and kinder than Dennison - but would that help Kata before he became so worn down that he believed the lies?

Going through what he did, Kata developed as a character in fascinating and satisfying ways. Even more interestingly, so did Tau. I also appreciated the growth of their relationship. The horrors the Projects experienced were relieved by humour when Tau took crude expressions literally. There were other humorous moments too, and the overall style of this book is conversational and transparent. A history lesson Kata gives Tau provides a neat way to flesh out the fictional world. The story is set in a future where humans have settled on various planets, having left Terra behind for "lost". I was impressed by the scope of Austin's imagination in describing all these planets. That was yet another positive aspect of a book that excels for its cleverly constructed plot and exciting tempo.

So like its eponymous hero, Project Tau comes pretty close to perfection. I noticed a few extremely minor inconsistencies. For example, Kata once talks about something Tau did "on Monday" at a point when he is otherwise described as having lost track of time. Although I wondered about a few other details, the overall story and fictional world were logical and plausible. Any inconsistencies are so insignificant that they don't detract from the excellent overall quality of this book. In view of that, it deserves five out of five stars. I recommend it to science fiction fans who would welcome an alternative to all the speculation about artificial intelligence. This book explores human potential within the framework of a tense, gripping adventure. It's a thoroughly engrossing read. As touched on above, it contains strong language throughout and features disturbing scenes. Although the violence is never gratuitous or overly graphic, this may make it unsuitable for younger or more sensitive readers.

Project Tau
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Marina Flisvou
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Jake Fortina and the Roman Conspiracy
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marina-flisvou.html
Latest Review: Infinity by Catalina DuBois

Post by Marina Flisvou »

Thank you for this in-depth review. Your detailed breakdown paints a vivid picture of the novel's ambiance, ethical quandaries, and the relationship dynamics. It's refreshing to hear about a science fiction work that diverges from the well-trodden path of artificial intelligence and delves into the realms of natural human potential. Your review certainly makes the bob sound like a compelling read for anyone seeking a novel perspective in science fiction.
Marina
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Marina Flisvou wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 01:08 Thank you for this in-depth review. Your detailed breakdown paints a vivid picture of the novel's ambiance, ethical quandaries, and the relationship dynamics. It's refreshing to hear about a science fiction work that diverges from the well-trodden path of artificial intelligence and delves into the realms of natural human potential. Your review certainly makes the bob sound like a compelling read for anyone seeking a novel perspective in science fiction.
I enjoyed reading it so much! Thank you for your comment.
Mod
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Alice Heritage wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 03:56 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Project Tau" by Jude Austin.]

I was excited to get this chance to review Project Tau by Jude Austin because I had already enjoyed reading the sequel (Homecoming) after it was Book of the Day. Although that includes enough backstory, I relished learning more details from the first book in the series. For one, I was likely wrong about how the name of the protagonist - Kata - is pronounced. I had thought it would rhyme with "hatter", but having now learned how he got his name, I believe it would be pronounced "Kay-Tay".

While reading Kalin's first conversations with Tau, I found myself adjusting mentally to the fact that he wasn't a robot. He doesn't know what to make of swearing or metaphors, which leads him to ask some hilarious questions. However, that naivete results from being grown in a tank and trained by scientists. Science fiction works speculating about how to program consciousness and empathy into androids are two a penny. What makes this book refreshingly different is its focus on where the natural might go in the future. Tau is simply a human with kindness and curiosity baked into his nature. To the scientists, he is just a Project to use and abuse for experimentation and profit. Yet how could that be right, not least in view of his obvious humanity? One of the many outstanding aspects of this story is the spotlight it shines on such ethical questions.

A history lesson Kata gives Tau provides a neat way to flesh out the fictional world. The story is set in a future where humans have settled on various planets, having left Terra behind for "lost". I was impressed by the scope of Austin's imagination in describing all these planets. That was yet another positive aspect of a book that excels for its cleverly constructed plot and exciting tempo.
Alice, so glad you got a chance to read the first book! I have been reading them in order, I can't imagine mixing them up! Have you started the third book yet?! I'm currently reading it, and it is just as good as the first two. I love reading other people's reviews of books I have reviewed to see what others observe and enjoy (or even dislike). I hadn't considered how to actually pronounce his name, even though I started the series with book one - in my mind, I pronounced it "Kah-Tah" :lol: One of the things I enjoyed most, is exactly what you're describing, the hilarious questions and conversations that make Tau such a realistic and endearing character. Your portrayal of Tau makes me reconsider what our "base" human nature really is...are we genuinely kind and curious, and then evolve from there?! That is much more optimistic than I admittedly had previously thought. Another aspect you identified that I hadn't considered is the way the author tells the reader about the world via the history lesson! You're so right, it actually was a neat way to do that! As always, I enjoyed reading your review, I could right near feel your excitement for this book. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Cara Wilding wrote: 26 Oct 2023, 11:51

Alice, so glad you got a chance to read the first book! I have been reading them in order, I can't imagine mixing them up! Have you started the third book yet?! I'm currently reading it, and it is just as good as the first two. I love reading other people's reviews of books I have reviewed to see what others observe and enjoy (or even dislike). I hadn't considered how to actually pronounce his name, even though I started the series with book one - in my mind, I pronounced it "Kah-Tah" :lol: One of the things I enjoyed most, is exactly what you're describing, the hilarious questions and conversations that make Tau such a realistic and endearing character. Your portrayal of Tau makes me reconsider what our "base" human nature really is...are we genuinely kind and curious, and then evolve from there?! That is much more optimistic than I admittedly had previously thought. Another aspect you identified that I hadn't considered is the way the author tells the reader about the world via the history lesson! You're so right, it actually was a neat way to do that! As always, I enjoyed reading your review, I could right near feel your excitement for this book. Thanks so much for sharing it with us! Until next time...
I thought it was interesting that Tau was kind despite the way the scientists treated him. Perhaps it's not even likely, yet who knows - the concept was so speculative, which was what made it fascinating.

I even found the second book better than the first in that it was more complex with more locations. I'll probably reread it now so I appreciate it from the perspective of what I learned in the first book before starting the third.

Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting comment!
Mod
Cara Wilding

Post by Cara Wilding »

Alice Heritage wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 04:49
I thought it was interesting that Tau was kind despite the way the scientists treated him. Perhaps it's not even likely, yet who knows - the concept was so speculative, which was what made it fascinating.

I even found the second book better than the first in that it was more complex with more locations. I'll probably reread it now so I appreciate it from the perspective of what I learned in the first book before starting the third.

Thank you for your thoughtful and interesting comment!
Alice, if you enjoyed the additional locations and complexity of the second book, you are going to LOVE the third book! When I first started reading the series, I kept it in the back of my head that is was part of the "Five World" series. The third book introduces so much more! Until next time...
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Alice Heritage wrote: 25 Oct 2023, 03:56 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Project Tau" by Jude Austin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

To the scientists, he is just a Project to use and abuse for experimentation and profit. Yet how could that be right, not least in view of his obvious humanity? One of the many outstanding aspects of this story is the spotlight it shines on such ethical questions.

Project Tau
Yes! That was one of my overwhelming concerns when I read this book about the ethics of the experiments. Saying that 'he's just a clone, so we can do whatever we want', is just wrong, no matter how you look at it. I'm so glad you loved this book, as I did too; I'm excited to read the next in the series.
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Photofinish
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: Sh*t Happens by Gavin L James.
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Cara Wilding wrote: 27 Oct 2023, 11:13
Alice, if you enjoyed the additional locations and complexity of the second book, you are going to LOVE the third book! When I first started reading the series, I kept it in the back of my head that is was part of the "Five World" series. The third book introduces so much more! Until next time...
[/quote]
Hi Cara, after reading the first and the intro to the second, I'm looking forward to reading the rest and then number 3. yes I also kept calling him Kah-Tah, but now I'm not so sure hehe.
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 21:10
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

To the scientists, he is just a Project to use and abuse for experimentation and profit. Yet how could that be right, not least in view of his obvious humanity? One of the many outstanding aspects of this story is the spotlight it shines on such ethical questions.

Project Tau
Yes! That was one of my overwhelming concerns when I read this book about the ethics of the experiments. Saying that 'he's just a clone, so we can do whatever we want', is just wrong, no matter how you look at it. I'm so glad you loved this book, as I did too; I'm excited to read the next in the series.
They saw what happens when you do that! Many thanks for reading and commenting.
Mod
Cara Wilding

Post by Cara Wilding »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 30 Oct 2023, 21:12 Hi Cara, after reading the first and the intro to the second, I'm looking forward to reading the rest and then number 3. yes I also kept calling him Kah-Tah, but now I'm not so sure hehe.
I just finished the third book and all I can say is, Jude Austin needs to write faster! :lol: I think my brain will always pronounce it the way I originally constructed it, lol, it's a done deal - the neural network has been fixed!
Azaz Raja
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azaz-raja.html
Latest Review: Jirvania by Jan Anderegg

Post by Azaz Raja »

Thank you for this thorough review. Your detailed analysis provides a clear understanding of the novel's atmosphere, moral dilemmas, and character interactions. It's refreshing to explore a science fiction narrative that explores human potential rather than focusing solely on artificial intelligence. Your review suggests that the book offers a fresh perspective within the science fiction genre and is likely to captivate readers seeking something new.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

I read this novel and I appreciated the ethical and moral that were developed. The story can be brutal and disturbing but it offers a lot of food for thought. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”