Review of Lion’s Creed

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: Exiles' Escape
Bookshelf Size: 1667
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Tarizon: Supreme Mandate by William Manchee
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 98%

Review of Lion’s Creed

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lion’s Creed" by Roxanne Ward.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Roxanne Ward’s Lion’s Creed is a dystopian story that follows the life of William “Will” Alexander. Over a decade has passed since the meteorite storm assaulted Earth. The corrupt leader of the United States created a three-tier ranking system: Corporates, Uppers, and Dailys. Corporates are the Elite, Uppers are middle class citizens, and Dailys are impoverished workers who are forced to work to keep the Corporates and Uppers living comfortably. Will’s father marries Tianna after finding her injured in the woods. Tianna was not only Will’s stepmother but also his mentor, who taught him to read and write, which was against the laws that denied Dailys an education. Will was eleven years old when Tianna went missing. Several weeks later, Ben wakes Will to run away from their home. They join Tianna and meet with a group led by Taylor. They are going to Colorado Springs, where Dailys have better living conditions.

News reaches Taylor’s group that General Kenner’s soldiers and the Colorado Springs guards are surrounding them. Tianna was to be turned over to General Kenner, or he would kill everyone. If they complied, then everyone else could enter the settlement. Tianna leads Will into a tent and gives him a coat with a hidden pocket. Inside the pocket was the Sanguine Blade. She tells Will, “The blade’s the key.”

I could immerse myself in every page of this exceptional story. The poor treatment of the Dailys kept them from rebelling against the government. Neighwahs were like the police, responsible for maintaining order, while the Drangers were mercenaries. They were quick to use force to keep Dailys in line. Obviously, this doesn’t prevent people from dreaming of freedom.

I found Will’s loyalty to his friends to be admirable. Will’s anger motivated many of his actions. His lack of remorse for killing people made his family and friends fear him. Despite the darker nature he exhibits, he offers respect for individuals on their personal merits. I could envision how he would be a good friend to have. His character development is beyond exceptional.

There were some issues with editing, but they did not distract from my enjoyment of the story. Therefore, I am awarding a score of 4 out of 5 stars. The ending leaves a large opening for a sequel. It leaves several unanswered questions and unresolved story lines, creating a sense of anticipation for what might come next. I am excited to see how the story continues to unfold.

Lion's Creed explores themes of courage, loyalty, and the pursuit of freedom in the face of oppression. I recommend this book for adults who enjoy science-fiction stories with a protagonist who struggles with ethical boundaries. The graphic violence portrayed in the book may make it inappropriate for younger readers, and the inclusion of profanity and fade-to-black explicit scenes may offend some readers.

Lion’s Creed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Proxima Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by NetMassimo »

A dark future is depicted in this novel alongside a willingness to change the situation by some of the "dispossessed" who get exploited. It's not that different from what happens today. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Illusion of Superiority by Christopher Joseph

Post by Radiant3 »

Your review was very interesting. I'm not a big fan of dystopian stories, but this story sounds action-packed and a great read.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Juego de niños
Bookshelf Size: 2416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: The Perfect Life by Anne Callahan
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

How sad that most dystopian books never consider the possible abolishing of social classes, but, on the contrary, they're reinforced...
Good review, my friend.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Samuel Falle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samuel-falle.html
Latest Review: The Power of Conscious Connection by Talia Fox

Post by Samuel Falle »

This review appreciated the book and applauded the author for doing a great job in creating it. Based on the pleasant impression the author's writing created, the reviewer also did well in making me want to include the book on my bookshelf.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a helpful overview and analysis of "Share Roxanne Wards Lions Creed." It highlights the dystopian setting, character development, and themes, making it sufficient to understand the book's content. The reviewer's positive remarks and anticipation for a sequel may motivate potential readers to buy the book. However, the inclusion of violence, profanity, and explicit scenes may limit its appeal to certain audiences. Overall, from the reviewer's perspective, "Lion's Creed" appears to be a good addition to a science-fiction enthusiast's library.
Grimmchuu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grimmchuu.html
Latest Review: The Last Cigar by Thomas Mello

Post by Grimmchuu »

Great review! Lion's Creed sounds like an intense dystopian read with a strong protagonist. The editing issues are noted, but the intriguing plot and character development have me curious. Adding it to my reading list!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”