Review of M.A.D

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rob Carr
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rob-carr.html
Latest Review: 5 Systems of Successful People by Scotty Schindler

Review of M.A.D

Post by Rob Carr »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "M.A.D" by Marlon cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Lando is rich, and he is not afraid to show it off. Whether it is a flash house, a flash car, or a flash watch, he will buy them all and make sure that other people see that he has bought them. Yet for Lando, money does not buy happiness.

For all of the money Lando has, he can't seem to keep people in his life. In the end, everyone leaves him. When he has nothing left, he hears the sound of crying. By following it, he is able to uncover the source of his problems and advise others who are struggling with similar issues on how to handle them.

M.A.D by Marlon Cole is a cross between a work of fiction and a self-help book. Lando’s story is used to show lessons to readers about his problems and how to tackle them. By using Lando’s story like this, Cole is able to make his advice more understandable and drive his message home in a way that you wouldn't in a normal self-help book.

While I did not agree with all of the advice in the book, it did present some interesting messages in an unusual way that I hadn't seen before.

The book could do with some further editing. There are some very long sentences at points, which would be easier to read if broken down into individual sentences. I found quite a few errors in the book.

The book pitched itself as partly a science fiction novel, but the part of the book that feels most like science fiction is relatively short and felt a little bit out of place.

Overall, I rate M.A.D 4 out of 5 stars. I tossed up whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars because there are some issues with it, but I decided to give it four stars largely on the basis of originality. There are some really interesting concepts covered in this book.

I would recommend this book to those who are struggling in their relationships with others and who want to find a way through that.

M.A.D
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
:idea: Rob Carr :idea:
Bettny Andrade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettny-andrade.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Bettny Andrade »

I agree with you. It is an unusual way to present a self-help book, although at the same time it seems like an expensive proposal. Thank you for making this review!
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Bettny Andrade wrote: 20 Nov 2023, 14:59 I agree with you. It is an unusual way to present a self-help book, although at the same time it seems like an expensive proposal. Thank you for making this review!
Thank you, Bettny!
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Rob Carr wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 03:25 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "M.A.D" by Marlon cole.]

M.A.D by Marlon Cole is a cross between a work of fiction and a self-help book. Lando’s story is used to show lessons to readers about his problems and how to tackle them. By using Lando’s story like this, Cole is able to make his advice more understandable and drive his message home in a way that you wouldn't in a normal self-help book.

While I did not agree with all of the advice in the book, it did present some interesting messages in an unusual way that I hadn't seen before.

Overall, I rate M.A.D 4 out of 5 stars. I tossed up whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars because there are some issues with it, but I decided to give it four stars largely on the basis of originality. There are some really interesting concepts covered in this book.

Rob, looks like you've happened upon a unique mix with the fiction and self-help hybrid! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who will give "extra credit" to an author for originality! I'm curious about those pieces of advice that you did not agree with as well! What did you find to be the most "interesting concept" covered in this book?! I enjoyed reading your review, as always, until next time...
:tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an original way to structure a self-help book, even considering that the science fiction element is minimal. I'm curious to see how Lando's story is developed. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Cara Wilding wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 12:13
Rob Carr wrote: 19 Nov 2023, 03:25 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "M.A.D" by Marlon cole.]

Rob, looks like you've happened upon a unique mix with the fiction and self-help hybrid! I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who will give "extra credit" to an author for originality! I'm curious about those pieces of advice that you did not agree with as well! What did you find to be the most "interesting concept" covered in this book?! I enjoyed reading your review, as always, until next time...
:tiphat:
I think the core of what he was recommending as a way of thinking was sound but the focus on the importance of wealth and attitude towards women I didn't agree with. For example "never fight with a woman for her submissive attitude towards you, if she’s not submissive to you, accept it and walk away."

In terms of the advice he gives the core concepts are around properly recognise the past hurts affecting your behaviour and healing them. The most interesting concepts in terms of the plot were the sci-fi components woven into the story like quantum tunneling.
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

NetMassimo wrote: 22 Nov 2023, 15:49 This seems like an original way to structure a self-help book, even considering that the science fiction element is minimal. I'm curious to see how Lando's story is developed. Thank you for your great review!
Thank you, Massimo!
Ishak rafai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ishak-rafai.html
Latest Review: Time for PSyQ by Marti Ward

Post by Ishak rafai »

"Well-detailed and organized, with insightful criticism that seems to come from a discerning and passionate reader. This type of review sparks a desire to delve into the reading."
Rob Carr
Currently Reading:

Post by Rob Carr »

Hichem Rafai wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 13:45 "Well-detailed and organized, with insightful criticism that seems to come from a discerning and passionate reader. This type of review sparks a desire to delve into the reading."
Thanks Hichem. Glad you enjoyed the review.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Rob Carr wrote: 24 Nov 2023, 01:25 I think the core of what he was recommending as a way of thinking was sound but the focus on the importance of wealth and attitude towards women I didn't agree with. For example "never fight with a woman for her submissive attitude towards you, if she’s not submissive to you, accept it and walk away."

In terms of the advice he gives the core concepts are around properly recognise the past hurts affecting your behaviour and healing them. The most interesting concepts in terms of the plot were the sci-fi components woven into the story like quantum tunneling.
Rob, those "are" interesting facets. I am not sure how I would receive that statement about submissive attitudes; I guess I'd need more context (I'll give the author the benefit of the doubt for now, :lol: ). Those are good points about past hurts and how they affect behavior. I love your description of the way he mixed the science fiction component (quantum tunneling)—very cool idea!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”