Review of Angel Falling

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SweetSourSalty AndSpicy
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetsoursalty-andspicy.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Review of Angel Falling

Post by SweetSourSalty AndSpicy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Angel Falling" by A.D. Landor.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Azshael is an outcast among his fellow angels, stripped of his status for falling in love with a vampire, the enemy race. Angels and vampires had been at odds for a long time, but a present truce gives an impression of peace. Sadly, the loss of his vampire lover left him alone and lost. When the concubine of the vampire leader goes missing, Azshael investigates along with a mysterious female vampire warrior. He restored his position as an ambassador with this assignment. However, it appears that not everyone is pleased with his reinstatement. Azshael will soon learn who his allies and enemies are.

Angel Falling by A.D. Landor blends high fantasy and noir fiction. In a detective story about alliances, betrayal, and loyalty, supernatural beings are the antiheroes. Flawed characters add richness to the exploration of alternative viewpoints on established perceptions. As the line between good and evil blurs, it steers away from stereotypical character portrayals. The characteristics and features of angels and vampires have a new twist. Similarly, the character flaws make the story relatable on a societal and personal level.

Elaborate class structures portrayed both races. It emphasizes their distinction and uniqueness to demonstrate that being different does not necessarily render a race or an individual evil. Vampires are frequently associated with wickedness and angels with goodness, yet the relationships and interactions of the leading character throw this stereotype into question. It strikes me as an allegory for inclusivity, my favorite aspect of the book.

The viewpoint of the central character tells the story. This method works well for portraying the perspective of someone who feels like an outsider. The steady pace and surprise discoveries sustain the interest of the audience. The finale ties everything together and hints at the possibility of a sequel.

Although the words are uncommon in regular conversation, they fit the tone. Because of the many parallels to earlier events, I initially assumed the novel was a sequel. However, this is the first installment in the series. To provide context for these events, I suggest a glossary. There are several names for places and social classes. It is challenging to recall all of them. Adding them to the proposed glossary will help with memory recall. A hyperlink from the words to the glossary will enhance the book navigation. Similarly, visuals for the class system are a great addition to appreciating the complexities of the social structure. Aside from these observations, I have no negative concerns that interfered with my reading experience.

Editing errors are rare and almost insignificant. Although the swearing and sexual scenes are minor, there is violence and gore. Hence, I recommend that sensitive audiences exercise caution. The book contains inoffensive material for religious organizations. It is appropriate for readers aged sixteen and up. Likewise, it is suitable for readers who appreciate a mix of high fantasy and detective stories. Those looking for a different spin on angel and vampire stories should check this out.

The fresh approach to portraying otherworldly races to examine socially relevant themes is noteworthy. I found nothing objectionable that warranted a deduction. As a result, I rate it five out of five.

Angel Falling
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Geralt_99
Currently Reading: Artwords
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Geralt_99 »

The blending of high fantasy and noir fiction, along with the exploration of alliances and societal perceptions, appears intriguing. The unique portrayal of angels and vampires, coupled with a focus on inclusivity, adds depth to the narrative. Your constructive suggestions regarding a glossary and visuals enhance the review's insights.
Anastasia Baglay
Currently Reading: It
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-baglay.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Anastasia Baglay »

Thank you for your detailed review! Though it is not really my genre, I am still intrigued to take a closer look.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Exit Strategy
Bookshelf Size: 429
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 41%

Post by NetMassimo »

Fantasy novels including angels are not new but I never heard of one with noir connotations, so this one is intriguing to me, also thinking about what happens with vampires. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”