Review of The Holler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Merits Anih
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 152
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-merits-anih.html
Latest Review: Behind the Eyes of Zylo Moon by David Nathaniel Nealis

Review of The Holler

Post by Merits Anih »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Holler" by Thomas Bell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

If someone from 100 years ago could come to the future of the year 2023, how do you think they would react to our society where racism is openly frowned upon, homosexuality is the norm, and women do not like to be told what to do? How would you react if you were taken to the 1800s, when technological advancements were at the barest minimum, racism was normal, and religion ruled without woke ideas?

Granpap Alvin was telling his grandchildren (Bodkin and Dirk) stories of the Holler and why they shouldn't dare enter it no matter what. He grew tired and promised to continue the story the next day. But he never did, because that was the night he died. At 12, the twins were nicknamed "the wild boys" because they did anything they wanted and were very stubborn. Their father had died of consumption when they were seven.

Before he had died, their Granpap told them about an Injun (Rusty) who entered the Holler and was found at the mouth of it, almost dead, and whose hand had been turned to salt. When Granpap died, they both dug up Rusty's grave out of curiosity to find out if his hand really turned to salt. This singular act changed their lives forever in a way they didn't expect. Dirk wanted to go to school and become a learned man, while Bodkin wanted to join the army or work on a train to see more adventures. But that would be after they had gone to the Holler. For their mother's sake, they decided that only one of them should go while the other stayed with her. The boys flipped a coin, and it fell on Dirk to go to the Holler, but the following events that took place will have your hearts jumping out of your mouth! What is in the Holler that never allows anyone who enters it to return? What will be the fate of Dirk in the Holler and that of Bodkin, who was left behind? Find this out when you read The Holler by Thomas Bell.

I must say that nothing prepared me for the direction that the book took, and it was a pleasant surprise. The book was going well, and until around page 55, the occurring events had me gasping in shock and awe! And that was just the beginning! At first, I thought it was going to be a horror kind of story, but the twist of events will surprise you, as it did me. The book was set between the 19th and 21st centuries, and I loved that it helped me see the sharp contrast between life in this century and the last, where terms like misogyny, homophobia, and sexism were the norm and where woke ideas toward religion were not openly voiced out, as it can lead to instant violence. You'd also get to see possible technological advancements in the future.

There are aspects of this book that I do not like and that can be improved. The traits that the author was portraying in some of the characters were not really actualized. I loved the book until chapter 24, when the plot development started to lag. I didn't understand the intense hatred that Gail had for Troy because, to me, he did his best to keep his promise. The other things that happened were beyond his control. Before he and Nikola Tesla emerged, Troy was not depicted as a terrible person, but all of a sudden, he was like the devil himself. Also, the first night Gail saw Bodkin and called him aside for a brief meeting, she seemed to believe that he could do something or figure something out to help her without previously knowing, observing, or accessing his abilities. She would later talk to him again in that regard, and Bodkin didn't act in that capacity. That felt awkward and stiff. These characters were not given the prior traits they needed to be who they were intended to be.

Furthermore, there are some plot holes that were not looked into. For example, Granpap said his twin did not go into the Holler and that he was buried somewhere. This aspect has a big question mark based on the events that took place later. For these reasons, I am rating the book 3 out of 5 stars. Those who like science fiction shouldn't think twice about picking up this book. If you like reading books in the mystery genre, too, I recommend this one to you. The Holler contains only a few errors, which shows that it was professionally edited.

The Holler
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has some interesting part but I understand why a lagging plot and some plot holes might be discouraging. Regardless, thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a balanced perspective on the book "The Holler" by Thomas Bell. It highlights the unexpected twist of events and contrasts between different time periods. However, the review also mentions some plot inconsistencies and character development issues. Overall, the review is helpful as it gives insights into the book's strengths and weaknesses. It may motivate readers interested in science fiction and mystery genres, but the mentioned flaws might make some hesitant to purchase the book.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review for the book "The Holler" by Thomas Bell presents a mixed perspective. The reviewer found the book to be a surprise with unexpected twists and a sharp contrast between different time periods. However, they mentioned that some character traits were not fully developed, leading to inconsistency. Plot holes and a lag in the plot development were also mentioned. Overall, the reviewer rates the book 3 out of 5 stars, recommending it to fans of science fiction and mystery genres who appreciate a professionally edited book.
Ivan Kovic
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivan-kovic.html
Latest Review: Launchpad Republic by Howard Wolk and John Landry

Post by Ivan Kovic »

The speculative opening around how someone from the past would view modern societal norms sets an intriguing frame for contrasting time periods. It prompts reflection on just how radically perspectives can transform across generations.
Victoria Ukamaka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-ukamaka.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Victoria Ukamaka »

As a frequent reader of science fiction, I do not require perfect realism or consistency in character behaviors. So long as sweeping visions transport me, some technical shortcomings do not bother me. This book seems to offer creative ideas I could still enjoy despite some execution issues cited.
Salome Ogani
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salome-ogani.html
Latest Review: The Flaxen Tyranny by Simon Evans

Post by Salome Ogani »

I appreciate themostly positive assessment of the opening chapters. Hearing those early sections elicited genuine, visceral reactions in the reviewer builds my expectations perhaps unfortunately not fully sustained.
Richard Thomasalw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-thomasalw.html

Post by Richard Thomasalw »

I'm curious if the book itself explores that premise of clashing norms between different eras or simply uses it as springboard for the main narrative. Either way, it's thought-provoking.
William Wrightmill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-william-wrightmill.html

Post by William Wrightmill »

The way the reviewer highlights the shocking, surprising plot twists piques my interest. I like when stories take unpredictable turns that subvert genre assumptions. Keeps things fresh.
Brian Adamss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brian-adamss.html

Post by Brian Adamss »

Learning the book spans an ambitious time frame across two centuries is impressive. I admire when authors attempt grand, sweeping historical fiction across generations.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”