Review of Dark Clowder Cats

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Eternal Hero by William Grace
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of Dark Clowder Cats

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Clowder Cats" by Ruby Knight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

"At the heart of every storm, there is stillness ... There is never one without the other." (Dark Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight, p.50)

I doubt anyone welcomes adversity and mistakes, yet they often provide the best opportunities to learn and grow. At any rate, routine lesson learning isn't easy for a young cat named Storm who is struggling to focus on the rudiments of her warrior training. For Storm is no pet cat (nor a mangy stray), but a member of a "clowder" living as a group in the wild. Her home, High Clowder, is run on principles of cooperation, order and balance with nature. It's way ahead of the usual feral way of life where cats walk alone and the strong prevail: it's a veritable feline utopia. This is in stark contrast to the notorious Dark Clowder that gives this fantasy novel its title - Dark Clowder Cats by Ruby Knight.

Yet Storm may be too coddled by her home and status as the clowder leader's daughter as she fails to discipline herself again and again. Things get even more tumultuous when a new cadet arrives with warrior skills that make Storm furious with envy. She wonders how he learned to be so still (he is even named Still) and there's something familiar about him that she can't quite put her paw on. It turns out that a rival for Storm's classmates' attention is just the start of troubles that put all the cats to the test.

This novel's premise of a cat society was brilliant. I loved the spiritual messages inherent in the warrior rules - the daily drill was meditative. The clowder has a rich spiritual life, receiving guidance from its sacred Stone. I grieved with the cats as hard times hit the clowder, yet was thrilled to see them learn and grow. There is something so satisfying about seeing hard-earned discipline like warrior training being applied to real-life challenges, and about seeing characters struggle to stay true to their morals when survival is threatened.

Of course, the cats were strictly speaking anthropomorphic, but they convinced on the page as felines with their rolling play, stalking and scavenging. However, the world-building slipped a little at times. I would have liked to see the author go further in immersing us in the lives of real cats. For example, Still says to Storm, 'Surely, that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black!' (p.88). These cats are described as feeding on prey; they don't have pots and kettles. While this may be an "English translation" of a feline expression, I'd have loved to hear more cat-centred proverbs. Otherwise, the characters start to feel too much like people. Another example where this happens is a training exercise where the kits are to blindfold themselves by sticking leaves over their eyes with sap. Such details were beautifully imagined, but I'm pretty sure that would be tricky without opposable thumbs!

Alongside some slight lapses in the world-building, the novel lacked tension at times when situations were resolved a little too quickly. Although I loved the explorations of the principles of staying virtuous in the face of threats and transforming mistakes into learning and growth, the characters were sometimes too self-aware. I would have appreciated the lessons learned being "shown" rather than "told". These minor shortcomings led me to deduct one star from my rating, resulting in a still-high rating of four out of five stars, earned through a fabulous premise, relatable characters who grew through their struggles and awe-inspiring spiritual dimensions.

The spiritual content is Zen-like, but this is not a religious book and could appeal to those of all religions or none. As I say, I did find the resolution of some problems a little hurried, but this did make for a quick read, which can be a boon. My younger self would have thrived on this inspiration to keep on trying whenever you fail: this book is highly recommended to young adults. My current self loved that too, as well as the reflections on leadership, which came at just the right time for me - everything happens for a reason! I look forward to reading more about the wonderful world of the clowders.

Dark Clowder Cats
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conshelle-dwight-william.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Conshelle Dwight William »

"Dark Clowder Cats" by Ruby Knight sounds fascinating! The concept of a disciplined cat society and the spiritual undertones seem captivating. It's great to see how the characters, especially Storm, evolve through challenges. Thanks for sharing this intriguing read!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Proxima Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by NetMassimo »

Probably I'm too old for this series, so I'm not really receptive to messages that are proposed as a sort of educational story. However, this kind of cat fantasy can be fascinating. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Cara Wilding
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Alice Heritage wrote: 10 Dec 2023, 13:13 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Clowder Cats" by Ruby Knight.]

This novel's premise of a cat society was brilliant.

Of course, the cats were strictly speaking anthropomorphic, but they convinced on the page as felines with their rolling play, stalking and scavenging. However, the world-building slipped a little at times. I would have liked to see the author go further in immersing us in the lives of real cats. For example, Still says to Storm, 'Surely, that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black!' (p.88). These cats are described as feeding on prey; they don't have pots and kettles. While this may be an "English translation" of a feline expression, I'd have loved to hear more cat-centred proverbs. Otherwise, the characters start to feel too much like people. Another example where this happens is a training exercise where the kits are to blindfold themselves by sticking leaves over their eyes with sap. Such details were beautifully imagined, but I'm pretty sure that would be tricky without opposable thumbs!

Alongside some slight lapses in the world-building, the novel lacked tension at times when situations were resolved a little too quickly. Although I loved the explorations of the principles of staying virtuous in the face of threats and transforming mistakes into learning and growth, the characters were sometimes too self-aware. I would have appreciated the lessons learned being "shown" rather than "told". These minor shortcomings led me to deduct one star from my rating, resulting in a still-high rating of four out of five stars, earned through a fabulous premise, relatable characters who grew through their struggles and awe-inspiring spiritual dimensions.
Alice, this review was impeccable! I loved it! There was probably zero chance in a hundred of me picking up this book looking at its title and cover; however, your review illuminated a story that sounds so unique and fun to read! I am just getting back from vacation and seeing all these new reviews to read; yours has been my favorite today. :D Your description immediately had me thinking of how easy it would be for me to forget this was about cats...and then your comments on the world-building had me shaking my head yes! I could absolutely see that. Your feedback about the cat-centered proverbs is on point, that would be such a creative stroke in this work. What was it in the book about leadership that struck you the most?! I'm super curious! Love, loved, loved, this review! Until next time...
:tiphat:
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Conshelle Dwright Williams wrote: 15 Dec 2023, 20:39 "Dark Clowder Cats" by Ruby Knight sounds fascinating! The concept of a disciplined cat society and the spiritual undertones seem captivating. It's great to see how the characters, especially Storm, evolve through challenges. Thanks for sharing this intriguing read!
It was such an enjoyable read! Thank you for your thoughtful comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

NetMassimo wrote: 16 Dec 2023, 07:21 Probably I'm too old for this series, so I'm not really receptive to messages that are proposed as a sort of educational story. However, this kind of cat fantasy can be fascinating. Thank you for your great review!
I'm surely too old, but I appreciated this book anyway! Many thanks for your kind comment.
Mod
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Cara Wilding wrote: 21 Dec 2023, 13:38

Alice, this review was impeccable! I loved it! There was probably zero chance in a hundred of me picking up this book looking at its title and cover; however, your review illuminated a story that sounds so unique and fun to read! I am just getting back from vacation and seeing all these new reviews to read; yours has been my favorite today. :D Your description immediately had me thinking of how easy it would be for me to forget this was about cats...and then your comments on the world-building had me shaking my head yes! I could absolutely see that. Your feedback about the cat-centered proverbs is on point, that would be such a creative stroke in this work. What was it in the book about leadership that struck you the most?! I'm super curious! Love, loved, loved, this review! Until next time...
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed comment, as always!

I don't want to spoil anything for potential readers, but hopefully it will suffice to say that the leadership qualities highlighted as ideal in the book were not what one would expect. It was a relief to me on a personal note because I have been thrust into a leadership role, where I'll be only too happy to keep those qualities in mind.
Mod
Korir Kipchumba Victor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-korir-kipchumba-victor.html
Latest Review: Snippets from a Twisted Mind by Sean O’Banion

Post by Korir Kipchumba Victor »

Wow! This is such a beautiful review that has caught my attention. I am looking forward to reading this book. I love the quote at the beginning, it seems like a such a good summary for what the book is about. Thank you!
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Korir Kipchumba Victor wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 03:15 Wow! This is such a beautiful review that has caught my attention. I am looking forward to reading this book. I love the quote at the beginning, it seems like a such a good summary for what the book is about. Thank you!
Yes, that sentence struck me when I came across it, because of the reference to the protagonists' names. Thank you for reading and commenting!
Mod
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Hi Alice, like Cara, this wouldn't have been a book I would have chosen based on the name and the cover, but as always your review has my interest piqued. I'm curious though as this is book two of the series, would it help to read book one first, or is it a standalone (lol I'm a book series junkie!!)
Alice Heritage

Post by Alice Heritage »

Stephen Christopher 1 wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 07:32 Hi Alice, like Cara, this wouldn't have been a book I would have chosen based on the name and the cover, but as always your review has my interest piqued. I'm curious though as this is book two of the series, would it help to read book one first, or is it a standalone (lol I'm a book series junkie!!)
I knew there was something I'd forgotten to mention in the review!

I haven't read the first in the series, so that probably helps already! This does work as a standalone and references plenty of events from the first book.
Mod
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

Your description of "Dark Clowder Cats" paints a vivid picture of a feline utopia and the challenges faced by Storm. The incorporation of spiritual messages and the warrior training's meditative aspect adds depth to the narrative. It sounds like a compelling story that explores growth, discipline, and morality within a unique cat society. This is nice review.
Cara Wilding
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Alice Heritage wrote: 02 Jan 2024, 07:38 Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed comment, as always!

I don't want to spoil anything for potential readers, but hopefully it will suffice to say that the leadership qualities highlighted as ideal in the book were not what one would expect. It was a relief to me on a personal note because I have been thrust into a leadership role, where I'll be only too happy to keep those qualities in mind.
Alice, perfect answer without giving anything important away! Thanks! I am always grateful to find something in a book (especially in fiction) that I can apply to real life, as you have here! Until next time...
Stephen Christopher 1
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Hunger of the Pine
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephen-christopher-1.html
Latest Review: In It Together by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Stephen Christopher 1 »

Alice Heritage wrote: 03 Jan 2024, 08:58
I knew there was something I'd forgotten to mention in the review!

I haven't read the first in the series, so that probably helps already! This does work as a standalone and references plenty of events from the first book.
Perfect thank you! I'm still going to read them in order lol, so I'll let you know if the first one is any good ;)
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review above gives a positive overall impression of the book "Dark Clowder Cats" by Ruby Knight. The reviewer enjoyed the unique concept of a cat society and appreciated the spiritual messages and character growth. However, they noted slight flaws in world-building and pacing. Despite these minor shortcomings, the book is recommended, especially for young adults seeking inspiration and reflections on leadership. Overall, "Dark Clowder Cats" seems to be a good read with relatable characters and intriguing spiritual dimensions.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”