Review of Ex Nihilo

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of Ex Nihilo

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ex Nihilo" by Ryan Matthew Browning.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

An ancient prophecy, a quest for power, vengeance, hate, and love come together to give us this epic book.

In Ex Nihilo by Ryan Matthew Browning, we are invited aboard a dysfunctional spaceship brimming with hatred, treachery, and mutiny buried below a layer of fear. When challenges start coming from every side, an unlikely savior appears with what seems like the answer to their problems. Surprisingly, the key to accessing the solution has been within them all along. Everything seems like it's going to work out perfectly, but something seems fishy. With betrayal waiting at every corner, who can be trusted?

The concept of the book was unique. It stands out both in science fiction and fantasy genres, as it takes a different approach from the usual.

The book plays out like a movie. It is easy to picture each of the scenes, and each scene flows into the next smoothly. The author's descriptive ability is top-notch, as he can make the reader picture every moment vividly. It gives the impression that the action is playing out right in front of the reader, and the reader has been given a front-row seat. Some scenes have many things going on, with different characters having different plans and scheming to carry them out. The author conveys these different intentions to the reader without causing confusion or making the reader lose the thread of the story. His ability to combine different things into one scene while maintaining a smooth flow is one of the best things about this book.

I liked the way the author incorporated suspense. So many revelations in the book changed the trajectory of things. However, some things were kept hidden until the opportune moment. Even some of the characters' true intentions were kept secret from the reader almost till the end.

There were several interesting characters that gave this book depth and substance. I loved how the author portrayed each character, giving the reader a complete understanding of their natures, strengths, and failings. The reader could understand how each one fits into the book's fabric, the things they did, and why they did the things they did. Readers could also see the development of each character and how they evolved throughout the book. Initially pictured as weak and timid, Matthew had several experiences that toughened him up. It felt like he grew so much in the book, even though the events may have happened across a very short timeline.

There were many errors in the book, including inconsistencies in character names. For instance, Gabriel Soloman was sometimes referred to as Solomon. The errors were enough to cause confusion while reading and negatively affected my reading experience. I would recommend another round of professional editing.

I found Ex Nihilo by Ryan Matthew Browning exciting and engaging. I would love to give it a perfect rating. However, I would have to take away a point because of the number of errors. Therefore, I'd rate the book 4 out of 5 stars and recommend it to lovers of science fiction and fantasy. There were mentions of some Christian practices. However, with an open mind, non-Christian readers could look past them and enjoy the story.

Ex Nihilo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Conshelle Dwight William
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-conshelle-dwight-william.html
Latest Review: The Receptionist by Marie-Paul Corelli

Post by Conshelle Dwight William »

Wow, your description of "Ex Nihilo" sounds absolutely riveting! The blend of sci-fi and fantasy, along with the suspense and character development, makes it seem like a must-read. I love how you've shared your thoughts on it. Do you have any other book recommendations? 📚
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like an engaging novel with well-constructed plot and characters, so I hope the author does proper proofreading to prevent distractions while reading. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a helpful overview of the book "Ex Nihilo" by Ryan Matthew Browning. It highlights the unique concept, vivid descriptions, and suspenseful plot. However, it points out numerous errors that may cause confusion. The reviewer rates it 4 out of 5 stars and recommends it to fans of science fiction and fantasy, suggesting non-Christian readers approach it with an open mind. Overall, the review is sufficient and may motivate potential readers to consider adding the book to their library.
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review provides an insightful perspective on "Ex Nihilo" by Ryan Matthew Browning. The reviewer praises the unique concept, cinematic storytelling, and the author's descriptive ability. They appreciate the suspense and character development, although they note numerous errors that impacted their reading experience. Overall, they rate the book 4 out of 5 stars, recommending it to fans of science fiction and fantasy. This review suggests that "Ex Nihilo" is an exciting and engaging read, despite the need for better editing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”