Review of Pirates

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: Crimeline Hollywood by Thomas Collins
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 44%

Review of Pirates

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pirates" by Veronique Krüger.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Elizabeth Thornley, a sixteen-year-old girl, is horrified by the man she is supposed to marry, and her parents are determined that she is going to marry him. However, Elizabeth decides that her best option is to run away to escape her fate. After wandering town, she runs into Captain Jack Shard, one of the most feared pirates. He agrees to allow her to join the crew of the Argo, and she begins an adventure that is filled with danger and mystery. In Kirael, an almost fairytale world, the dark forces are growing stronger. What does the mystical land of Kirael have to do with the Argo? Will Elizabeth be happy in her new life? All the answers lie in the thrilling novel Pirates by Veronique Krüger.

One of my favorite parts of this book was the dynamic characters. Captain Shard, for example, was considered to be a highly feared man, but he was still willing to take Elizabeth under his wing. Elizabeth also showed change throughout the book as she went from the daughter of a rich man to a woman on the run. The characters each had unique personalities that show through their actions and interactions with each other.

The only dislike I had of this book was the transition between different narratives. The book would often jump between events happening in Kirael to events happening to Elizabeth with no indication of the narrative moving. A heading or some indication would have been helpful, though I did get used to it as the book progressed. This was the only aspect of the book that I disliked.

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. My minor dislike did not seem like a significant enough issue to take off a star. The characters and plot drew me in and made this an amazing reading experience. I recommend this to fans of fast-paced books that feature adventure and fantasy elements. There is some strong language; however, I do believe this book is suitable for both teens and adults. Its short length and compelling narrative make it easy to finish in a day or two. It also ends with a most unexpected twist, giving you plenty of reason to dive into the next book in the series!

Pirates
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Cara Wilding
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Sierra Six
Currently Reading: Global Vice
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-wilding.html
Latest Review: Family Business by James Jack Fauser
2024 Reading Goal: 150
2024 Goal Completion: 7%

Post by Cara Wilding »

Laney K wrote: 19 Dec 2023, 17:35 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pirates" by Veronique Krüger.]

Elizabeth Thornley, a sixteen-year-old girl, is horrified by the man she is supposed to marry, and her parents are determined that she is going to marry him. However, Elizabeth decides that her best option is to run away to escape her fate. After wandering town, she runs into Captain Jack Shard, one of the most feared pirates. He agrees to allow her to join the crew of the Argo, and she begins an adventure that is filled with danger and mystery. In Kirael, an almost fairytale world, the dark forces are growing stronger. What does the mystical land of Kirael have to do with the Argo? Will Elizabeth be happy in her new life? All the answers lie in the thrilling novel Pirates by Veronique Krüger.

One of my favorite parts of this book was the dynamic characters. Captain Shard, for example, was considered to be a highly feared man, but he was still willing to take Elizabeth under his wing. Elizabeth also showed change throughout the book as she went from the daughter of a rich man to a woman on the run. The characters each had unique personalities that show through their actions and interactions with each other.
Laney, just getting back from vacation and seeing all these new reviews to read, so excited! I love a female character who chooses her own fate and sacrifices an easy life. I also appreciate a good unexpected twist! I haven't read anything on pirates in what seems like forever. This sounds like it was a fun read. Your review has made me curious about whether or not she becomes happy in this new life! I enjoyed reading your review, thanks so much for sharing it with us! Until next time...
:tiphat:
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

I understand the possible confusion caused by changing narratives but overall, this seems like an engaging fantasy novel full of adventure. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review of "Pirates" by Veronique Krger seems to be a positive one. The reviewer praises the dynamic characters and the thrilling plot, rating it 5 out of 5 stars. They did mention a dislike for the transition between narratives but still found it to be a minor issue. Overall, it appears to be a great read, especially for fans of fast-paced adventure and fantasy with an unexpected twist.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”