Review of Empathy’s Algorithm

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mayang Bature
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: On the Precipice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayang-bature.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
2024 Reading Goal: 200
2024 Goal Completion: 25%

Review of Empathy’s Algorithm

Post by Mayang Bature »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Empathy’s Algorithm" by Ethan Compass.]
Book Cover
3 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Aurora was an AI created by Dr. Cassandra Torres that was primarily concerned with human empathy. Aurora was well received by the world, and it proved to be as useful as intended, assisting students in school, nurses in hospitals, and the elderly in finding their way around, among many other applications. This technological milestone, however, did not come without its obstacles. Pro-human activists, selfish top management, and sinister black-hat hackers stand between Dr. Torres’ creation and her dream for a technologically advanced future. Whether Dr. Torres overcomes these little hitches in the road or not is left for the reader to find out.

Ethan Compass used this book as a way to address the good and bad sides of AI, and this aspect was captured perfectly. This was represented in the way the aurora was seen as a tool to complement and make human life easier, on the one hand. On the other hand, others saw her as a tool to be monetized, putting up the empathy and compassion of humans for sale. I particularly loved the way that the characters used to represent these aspects had their own distinct ambitions. That allowed me to follow the story closely, always keeping me on track.

I must applaud this author's narrative ability. The way events were described in the story was very detailed, always giving the readers a glimpse into the minds of the characters and allowing them to see from their perspective. This contributed to the book's immersive quality, making it feel detailed and cinematic. However, I found this quality to be distracting at times because the description could go on and on while the actual story moved at a glacial pace. It would have been much better if this had been done in moderation.

Another thing I did not like was how Aurora could do something simple, and everyone would be amazed and have their minds blown. Aurora giving advice to schoolchildren may spark public debate and even become the subject of talk shows. This was the least appealing aspect to me because it appeared as if the story was attempting to impose Aurora's importance. It felt so forced and unnatural that it made the book feel like the result of sloppy research. I even expected the AI subject to be covered in greater depth, but the book later became so saturated with multiple instances of public conferences about AI ethics and other political stuff that it made the story so boring. I also found several errors and noticed that the dialogue from the new speakers did not begin on new lines, making it difficult to follow. Another round of editing would go a long way toward improving this book.

Taking all of this into account, I give "Empathy Algorithm" 3 out of 5 stars. The positive and negative aspects of AI were well represented, as intended, but the negatives listed above prevent it from receiving any higher rating. Those who fancy stories about futuristic societies and do not mind slow-paced, dramatic story-telling will likely enjoy this story.

Empathy’s Algorithm
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
As long as there is a concept of victors, the vanquished will always exist.

~Uchiha M.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Proxima Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Post by NetMassimo »

This novel has a great potential but seems in need for more editing. The focus should be on the important parts of the story and the AI is supposed to become important if it can give advice on significant subjects, otherwise, it's not better that today's chatbots. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

The review provides a balanced perspective on the book "Empathy Algorithm" and highlights both positive and negative aspects of the story. It offers detailed insights into the representation of AI and the immersive narrative style. However, the review mentions distractions from excessive description and forced importance placed on the AI character. The presence of errors and formatting issues is also noted. Overall, the review is helpful in providing a reader's perspective but may not strongly motivate someone to purchase the book. Whether it would be a good addition to one's library depends on individual preferences for futuristic societies and slow-paced, dramatic storytelling.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”