Review of The Last Advocate

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Review of The Last Advocate

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Advocate" by L. J. Goodman.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Do you ever imagine what the world will look like 50 or 100 years from now? With so many end-of-the-world predictions favoring a dystopic existence, I wonder if I want to be alive to see the world deteriorate into a deplorable state. Meanwhile, some people believe there will be a co-existence of a utopic and dystopic world. One of them must be L. J. Goodman. He shares his idea of the future world in The Last Advocate.

It is 2098, and the world has been divided into four segments: the black zone, the red zone, the yellow zone, and the crystal zone. The black zone has no life, as everything there has been submerged. The red zone has people living the lowest life possible. The yellow zone is also challenging to live but survivable. The crystal zone is in a utopic state, consisting of mostly genetically modified humans. The crystal zone is controlled by a man known as "The Leader." He calls all the shots, and no one dares to disobey his instructions. He has 12 men who serve as his councilmen. They are called "The Advocates." They have special privileges and make sure that everyone else falls in line. Dr. Marcus Jarret provides medical care for the two sets of genetically modified humans known as "Gen1s" and "Gen2s." When one of the Gen1 females, Anja, runs away from the crystal zone to the yellow zone, Dr. Marcus is sent to the yellow zone to find her. Thus begins a chain of revelations, twists, and turns that will challenge everything Dr. Marcus has believed. What does he find? What informed Anja's escape from the utopic crystal zone? Find out in The Last Advocate by L. J. Goodman.

The author structured this book well. He laid a solid foundation upon which the story was built. Every part of the story was well thought out. Each chapter focused on a particular segment, and we were shown life in these segments in detail. After reading about each segment of the world, I could imagine what those places looked like and how the people there lived.

I loved how the author made every character come alive. He described the characters so well that an artist could accurately draw each character. Their personalities shined forth, and picking each character out of the lot was easy. For instance, Dr. Marcus was a professional who never allowed his emotions to get in the way of his work. He was good at masking his emotions, no matter how triggered he might be. Also, Silvie's lack of education (because of where she came from) was vivid in her speeches. Whenever a conversation occurred, I didn't need the author to attribute a statement to Silvie before I knew she was the one speaking. This character distinction was seen in several other characters.

The author did more of showing than telling in the narration. It was a joy to figure out some outcomes by myself. For instance, I didn't need the author to tell me how old Dr. Marcus was. I figured it out during his conversation with Professor Harvey. The author left clues in the conversation to help me figure out Dr. Marcus's age at the time of the conversation.

I was also impressed by how the author used suspense and surprising elements to drive the plot. There were some discoveries I made along the way that amazed me. An instance was when I discovered the people who originally started the project that led to the creation of the crystal zone. The author showed his writing prowess in this book.

I did not find anything to dislike, and the book was exceptionally edited. Therefore, I'd rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. Finally, I'd recommend the book to folks who love stories set in the future.

The Last Advocate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 586
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is my type of reading. Now I wonder about Silvie venturing to the outside world despite her lack of knowledge. Thank you for the lovely review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Aleena Augustine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aleena-augustine.html
Latest Review: I Wonder Why It's Christmas by Esther Ekunola

Post by Aleena Augustine »

Your review of "The Last Advocate" by L. J. Goodman is thorough and engaging! I appreciate how you delve into the world-building, character development, and narrative style. Great job on the review!
Praveen Kumar 38
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Praveen Kumar 38 »

"The Last Advocate" by L. J. Goodman It is a very good book and I would recommend it to everyone who loves to read science fiction books.
Yasmine M
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yasmine-m.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
2024 Reading Goal: 25
2024 Goal Completion: 20%

Post by Yasmine M »

The review is insightful and informative, well done. The book is interesting and well-crafted. The year 2098 doesn't seem so far ahead in the future and the book kept the fiction within the possible. I mean the zone that has been submerged and the utopia are not far fetched.
Faith Mmesoma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Faith Mmesoma »

The last advocate by LJ Goodman is a very interesting book , I love that the author creative mind writing is dope
Nwansimdi Mercy Someze
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwansimdi-mercy-someze.html
Latest Review: The Advent of Time by Indignus Servus

Post by Nwansimdi Mercy Someze »

I love books like this. Nice review by the way.
Soukaina Tajidi
Favorite Book: Timewise
Currently Reading: Beyond the Golden Door
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soukaina-tajidi.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Soukaina Tajidi »

very nice review, keep going.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 43%

Post by NetMassimo »

The crystal zone seems like utopic ony in theory with the other zones being in worse conditions. This novel offers food for thought about the future with its possible divisions. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Francis Kapola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-kapola.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Francis Kapola »

The character development seems to be a strong point, with each character exhibiting unique traits that contribute to the overall story. Dr. Marcus's professionalism and ability to mask his emotions, as well as Silvie's lack of education reflected in her speech, showcase the author's skill in crafting diverse and realistic personalities.
Aaron Joseph Maupin
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaron-joseph-maupin.html
Latest Review: By The Rivers of Babylon by Mary Glickman

Post by Aaron Joseph Maupin »

This review provides a helpful and informative overview of the book "The Last Advocate" by L. J. Goodman. It highlights the well-structured plot, compelling characters, and the author's skill in creating suspense and surprises. The reviewer's positive rating and recommendation suggest that the book would be a good addition to anyone's library, especially for those who enjoy futuristic stories.
MoeBrown
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moebrown.html
Latest Review: Break up with him now by Lena Lubinka

Post by MoeBrown »

I hope to read this book. Your review has piqued my interest
Donaking
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Donaking »

The review of "The Last Advocate" by L.J. Goodman presents a captivating glimpse into a future world divided into different zones. The author's skillful storytelling and well-developed characters make the book an intriguing read. The structure of the story, character descriptions, and suspenseful plot elements add to the overall appeal. With great editing, a lack of flaws, and a strong recommendation for future-set story enthusiasts, it seems this book is definitely worth checking out.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”