Review of Do You Believe in Magic?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Megan Prestenbach
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-prestenbach.html
Latest Review: Do You Believe in Magic? by Jim Melvin

Review of Do You Believe in Magic?

Post by Megan Prestenbach »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Do You Believe in Magic?" by Jim Melvin.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Experience a world named Pacchann with Jim Melvin's book titled Do You Believe in Magic? The first book in the series follows Charlie, a young 13-year-old boy, on a fantastical journey into a different world with a dangerous foe. One fateful day, during a walk with his dog Blue, Charlie finds a mystical waterfall. He later returns to this magical place with his friends Virgil and Zola. Virgil and Zola beat Charlie through, and the three become separated. Upon their reunion, they've all learned the truth. This world is just as real as their own and ten times more dangerous for children like them. These three, plus their classmate Garrick, are prophesied to be the saviors of Pacchann and the defeaters of the dreaded Niddukk. But will the middle-schoolers succeed? Or will they be lost as Garrick's brother was?

This book was masterfully and beautifully written. The most impressive feat of this masterpiece was there were no detectable grammar errors. That in and of itself is what makes it a top-tier read. When you add in its descriptive language that paints a vivid picture of the scenes and the well-developed characters, it reaches perfection. It starts a little slow but soon becomes so enthralling it is challenging to put it down. Though geared towards a younger audience, Melvin delivers a novel that I still thoroughly enjoyed as an adult and avid reader of young adult fiction.

These few words don't do justice to the brilliance of this work. I cannot find a single thing I did not like or would have suggested to do differently. It is literary gold. It will be no surprise then that I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. The fantasy, the premise, the world-building, and character-building are everything I could ever hope for, plus more. I really am excited to see where the rest of this journey goes and how Charlie and company's story ends.

Do You Believe in Magic?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be too old for this kind of story but this seems like a terrific series for teenagers who like fantasy or are looking for a great introduction to this genre. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Megan Prestenbach
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megan-prestenbach.html
Latest Review: Do You Believe in Magic? by Jim Melvin

Post by Megan Prestenbach »

NetMassimo wrote: 06 Jan 2024, 07:14 I might be too old for this kind of story but this seems like a terrific series for teenagers who like fantasy or are looking for a great introduction to this genre. Thank you for your great review!
I'm glad you liked it! I'm 29 for reference and still thought it was a wonderful read. Even the stories for the youngers ones can surprise you.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”